Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Best Wide Angle Lens for Pixel Shift

I am contemplating the K-1 for purchase and am renting one in a couple weeks. I am looking for an ideal wide angle lens for the primary purpose of shooting landscapes in pixel shift mode. It would have to be able to use filters with no special extras. I am looking at starting with a budget wide angle and eventually save for a more premium lens.

For pixel shift, the sharper lenses appear to yield the best results.

That said, I did a bit of research and read through the other wide-angle thread. The DA 35 2.8 Macro lens would appear to be an ideal candidate for a budget option. From what I have read, on the K-1 and at some apertures, you will have corner issues. I am hoping someone weighs in that has done some testing. For landscapes, my bread and butter apertures are F8-F16. Other budget options, maybe the Samyang 16 or 24?

For non-budget options, perhaps the Sigma 35 Art lens (though heavy), FA 31 limited, or the upcoming 15-30?

05-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zen4Life Quote
I am contemplating the K-1 for purchase and am renting one in a couple weeks. I am looking for an ideal wide angle lens for the primary purpose of shooting landscapes in pixel shift mode. It would have to be able to use filters with no special extras. I am looking at starting with a budget wide angle and eventually save for a more premium lens.

That said, I did a bit of research and read through the other wide-angle thread. The DA 35 2.8 Macro lens would appear to be an ideal candidate for a budget option. From what I have read, on the K-1 and at some apertures, you will have corner issues. I am hoping someone weighs in that has done some testing. For landscapes, my bread and butter apertures are F8-F16. Other budget options, maybe the Samyang 16 or 24?

For non-budget options, perhaps the Sigma 35 Art lens (though heavy), FA 31 limited, or the upcoming 15-30?
I didn't think the DA 35 macro Limited worked on the K-1 very well?! The DA-L 35mm f/2.4 does seem to work, though. You could also check out the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 which is supposed to be a pretty good lens.
05-13-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The 15-30. Have a look at reviews for the Tamron 15-30. It's the same thing, although the Pentax has some tweaks and the in lens stabilisation removed.

For budget options, the Samyang 2.8/14mm. It's a great lens.
05-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
The 15-30. Have a look at reviews for the Tamron 15-30. It's the same thing, although the Pentax has some tweaks and the in lens stabilisation removed.

For budget options, the Samyang 2.8/14mm. It's a great lens.
The 15-30 doesn't work with filters

05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I bought the Samyang 24 recently in preparation for the K-1 (which I haven't bought yet) and on my K-5 it's absolutely razor sharp across the entire (crop) frame when stopped down a little. I'm very happy with it so far, it remains to be seen how it performs in full frame though. But it looks promising.
05-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
The 15-30 doesn't work with filters
True the 1530 does not work with filters but the 24-70 does, which on a full frame also gives you good landscape options.
05-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect that the lenses that perform well for non-pixel-shift will also be the ones that perform well with pixel-shift. Pixel-shift works by not throwing away detail/data that is already there.

Steve
05-13-2016, 12:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

interesting thread you've started here..

One of the things i am looking into, is what kind of filter system can be attached.
With the 15 30 you enter a whole different system. Might cost you some as well & definitely an area you want to take into account.

If you'd go the prime way, i would go for a 24mm rather. 16mm is really wide and a bit more specialty. Around 24mm might be more generally useful.

the 15 30 does have me drooling though. Even on apsc it is still a useful range for landscape and on a future FF it offers that interesting very wide view.

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 09:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JENSEN7474 Quote
True the 1530 does not work with filters but the 24-70 does, which on a full frame also gives you good landscape options.
Think the LEE 150 system will work. Not on the supported lenses list yet, but the Tamron is.

05-13-2016, 01:47 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 35 f2.4 may work.
FA 35 f2 will work albeit not very wide. (similar to DA 21 on crop)
Any good 24mm should work.
05-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I bought the Samyang 24 recently in preparation for the K-1 (which I haven't bought yet) and on my K-5 it's absolutely razor sharp across the entire (crop) frame when stopped down a little. I'm very happy with it so far, it remains to be seen how it performs in full frame though. But it looks promising.
I've used it on the A7, Gimbal - it's very good.

05-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Actually best bang for the buck lens is F 28mm F3.5 it's sharp all the way even widest opening aperture. The resolution and color rendering is outstanding!!! It will be a great lens for pixel shift.