Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom Metadata missing for new lens

Does anyone have any idea why, when I use my new K-1 with its Pentax -D FA 28-105mm lens, the lens shows up in Lightroom metadata as "unknown?"

05-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Have you performed an update to Lightroom recently? I don't know for sure that the DFA28-105 has been profiled yet as it's a new model, but assuming it has, it should be included in the more recent updates. Also, you could try selecting the manufacturer of the lens in Lightroom, and see if it then picks up the correct model. I'm not sure why, but I have to do this for a number of my Pentax lenses (though not the majority).
05-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the metadata is correctly in the file, but LR doesn't know how to interpret it. The lenses are represented just as numbers in the metadata, so the program has to compare it to a list. I suggest you update LR to the latest version (or Adobe Camera Raw, as LR is based on it).

Adobe can be slow when it comes to adding support for new gear.
05-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes just updated Lightroom to the newest version, which supposedly added the K-1. Dumb question - how do you select the manufacturer of the lens in Lightroom? I've never done that before, it had always been automatic.

05-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gbbrowning Quote
how do you select the manufacturer of the lens in Lightroom? I've never done that before, it had always been automatic.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Check the box to enable lens profile and choose manufacturer from the drop-down menu.

Lightroom is sort of flaky in regards to lens profiles. I am using 5.7 and it has never automatically recognized my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) on import despite a profile being present.

Steve
05-13-2016, 03:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Oh yeah, my LR rarely ever finds the right lens automatically. You have to choose manufacturer and then the lens itself. Maybe there is some LR option for this? I rarely use lens profiles anyway, so I don't care much.
Go to Develop module, then near the bottom you have Lens corrections. Click to expand and then choose Profile (instead of Manual; unless you want to input the data manually), Check the Enable profile corrections box, and now use the drop down box to find Make and Model.
05-13-2016, 03:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
Pentax isn't even on the list of manufactures when I try that - now, "parrot" and "yuneec" is, but not Pentax. weird.

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 04:18 PM ----------

I don't really worry about the profile either, but I do use metadata searches sometimes to find shots taken with a particular lens, and wish my new one wasn't "unknown".

---------- Post added 05-13-16 at 04:21 PM ----------

I'm pretty sure this is just a lightroom "need for update" issue - also get a message "unable to locate a matching profile automatically"
05-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Adobe releases a new version of LR every couple of months that includes new camera and lens profiles. The version with the K-1 just came out last month. I suspect we'll see a release in another month or two that includes the newest Pentax lenses. It's too bad they don't release lens profiles separately from the software updates.

05-13-2016, 08:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Time for LensTagger and EXIF Tool.
05-14-2016, 12:55 AM   #10

Well, when will we see LR lens profiles for older Pentax lenses on the K-1?

It should be quite obvious that a lens profile created for an APS-C camera can't be used with the same lens on full-frame.
05-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote

It should be quite obvious that a lens profile created for an APS-C camera can't be used with the same lens on full-frame.
Is this correct? It seems to make sense but I don't know how Lightroom lens profiles work. Does Lightroom have different lens profiles (or do they behave differently) for Nikon lenses on Nikon APS-C and FF cameras?
05-16-2016, 02:35 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Gordo Quote
Is this correct? It seems to make sense but I don't know how Lightroom lens profiles work. Does Lightroom have different lens profiles (or do they behave differently) for Nikon lenses on Nikon APS-C and FF cameras?
The lens profiles will still be useable, but are likely to be less than ideal. Where a lens has been profiled on an APS-C-sensor camera, any distortion will have been corrected based on the APS-C frame, and a greater degree of correction is going to be required for the wider field of view captured with the same lens on FF. Pentax Q-system owners who own both an original Q or Q10, plus a Q7 or Q-S1 will notice this (as I do) when applying lens correction in Lightroom. It's especially noticeable to me using the 01 standard lens, which has quite pronounced barrel distortion.
05-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You have to choose manufacturer and then the lens itself. Maybe there is some LR option for this?
It is possible to set LR to remember that particular copy of the lens the next time you opt to enable lens profile. I am set up that way with my Sigma 17-70/2.8-4 (C) as well as my Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro*. The instructions are in Martin Evening's Lightroom book and the general outline goes something like this:
  • Click "Enable Profile Corrections"
  • Select Make and Model from the drop-downs. The profile may auto-select. Confirm that the selection is correct.
  • Click the selector for "Setup" and choose "Save New Lens Profile Defaults". LR should remember your lens the next time you click to enable corrections.

Steve

* Lightroom always mistakes the Sigma for Pentax F 50/2.8 Macro. Both have the same lens ID code courtesy of Sigma

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-16-2016 at 03:48 PM.