Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2016, 08:34 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vallista Quote
Sorry for the late response. There is a 50mm 1.8 that works? is it a designed FF or crop sensor.
DA 50 f/1.8 is TECHNICALLY a crop sensor lens and will be cropped if you have the camera on auto crop. However it is based optically on the F/FA 50 f/1.7 - however test shots show slightly softer corners than those lenses which could be due to changes in the glass and the fact it was indeed only tested on crop sensors initially.

The F/FA f/1.7 is available used on ebay and here on the forum and is easily found. I have seen them go as low as $100 or so but typically a bit higher.

The FA 50 f/1.4 is still available new. The DA 55 f/1.4 is supposedly based on a FF design. See Sandy's pictures linked earlier.

The DFA 100 is decidedly FF and is based on a macro that has been praised for many years. The optical formula is similar / same as the F/FA 100 Macro from years ago.

Sorry I found 50mm 1.4 that would work and that macro 100mm 2.8 will work for me as well. Does anyone here do any night club photography?
I have seen a number of folks post about this topic. I would google it with Siteentaxforums.com and see what threads you dig up. Note that most of those will be based on crop sensors so the lenses selected will be different - for example on crop I might suggest the FA 35 f/2 or the FA 31 Limited f/1.8 since these are close to normal perspective and fit well in that environment in terms of perspective on a crop sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Not really, the army of ninja squirrels Rupert sent were easy to dispense with.
Sad - I had money on them. Oh well. Perhaps my evil weasels will get through.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I will have to pass for a while on the K1 because no one has one in stock in the U.S. that I can see. The A7R and manual focus will have to do for a while longer.
If it isn't broke...

05-13-2016, 09:43 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had 50mm 1.8 for night club work and looking to buy 85mm 1.8 & macro lens. Right now the K-1 doesn't have prime FF 55mm 1.8 or 1.4. I can't find macro lens for the k-1.
As others have noted you are not looking very hard. The FA 50mm f/1.4 is still available new. And the DA 50mm f/1.8 is very nice and very inexpensive, not technically designed for FF but seems to work just fine. Also the DA*55mm seems to work well on FF, so that's three 50mm lenses available. For the 85mm Pentax has the FA 77mm Limited. And there are both 100mm and 50mm DFA (designed for digital FF) lenses in production.

If you are happy with the D750 there is no real reason to switch IMHO. But passing on the K-1 because of "lack of lenses" is not a valid reason. I just spent a week with it and I am still amazed.
05-13-2016, 09:55 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by photodesignch Quote
Its true.. but everyone uses their gear differently. I find manual focus much more accurate and faster as well.
sorry but... newbie question : can i put a pentax lens on, mmh.. a Sony A7R or A7RII ?
05-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
However it is based optically on the F/FA 50 f/1.7
Wishful thinking on the part of those who want it to be so. I own both the previous design and the DA 50/1.8 and they are simply different. The element diameters and physical dimensions of the optical block are not the same nor are the relative element shapes. They behave differently too, even on APS-C. People are welcome to run the DA 50/1.8 on compatible film cameras (I have used mine on the Super Program) and on the K-1, but I would caution against high expectations across the full 24x36 field.

FWIW, the original rumor regarding the DA 50/1.8 was that it was based on the K 55/1.8 due to the general formula (6 elements in 5 groups), minimum focus distance and 52mm filter size. My opinion is that it was simply designed from scratch and is a very fine lens for its intended format.

As for a good club lens, I bet the FA 43/1.9 Limited would fit the bill nicely.

Steve

05-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by christiandre Quote
sorry but... newbie question : can i put a pentax lens on, mmh.. a Sony A7R or A7RII ?
Yes, though lenses without aperture rings will require an adapter with one. Operation will be manual focus with fully manual aperture (wide open to focus and stop down to meter/expose).

Steve
05-13-2016, 10:57 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
50mm?
FA50/1.4 - Which is avaliable off the shelf.
DA50/1.8 - which actually works on FF
DA*55/1.4
Sigma 50/1.4

On the DA*55/1.4, its been properly tested on FF, and this is what the reviewer has to say :

"Characteristically, this lens is almost the same as the $1700 Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G, and before you say “but that is a full frame lens”, I will answer with “So is the DA* 55mm f/1.4”. The DA* 55mm lens completely covers a full frame image circle with a high level of correction.

The lens has fairly classic lens performance in that it is pretty decent in the center wide open (MTF20) and improves dramatically across the frame as it is stopped down. It isn’t meant to be bitingly sharp wide open, simply put: this lens has character. That might not be good depending on how you view it, but I think it is very usable for what it is, and people are willing to pay a lot more for a similar Nikon lens so it can’t be all bad."

SMC Pentax DA* 55mm f/1.4 on Sony A7R : ERPhotoReview

For the 85mm lens.
FA77ltd
Sigma 85/1.4

Macro lens (really unbelievable claim of no options here)
DFA100 WR
DFA 50/2.8
+ loads of MF options which is no disadvantage at all for macro

Not to mention all the legacy lens options.
05-13-2016, 11:14 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right now the K-1 doesn't have prime FF 55mm 1.8 or 1.4. I can't find macro lens for the k-1. Maybe if Pentax comes out with the K-1 ii in the future then more lenses will be out.
My 55mm F/1.4 says Pentax on it. Same with my 100mm Macro. So dont know what you're talking about? More lenses are in the making. Will be more primes first!
05-14-2016, 12:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can confirm the DA 50mm f/1.8 works perfectly on the K1.
I can't see any vignetting, and if you can, you must be really looking hard.
It's also pretty darn sharp!

05-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #39
Pentaxian

B&H lists 47 full frame lenses in K-mount . . .

SLR Lenses, DSLR Lenses | B&H Photo Video

How many lenses does a person need? Presently, my lenses for the K-1 include . . .

Samyang 14mm f/2.8
smc Pentax-FA 31mm f/1.8 Limited
smc Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited
smc Pentax-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited
Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2
Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4
Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7
Revuenon MC 55mm f/1.2
Pentax D-FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR
Tair 11A 135mm f/2.8 M42
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 35mm f/2 ZK
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 85mm f/1.4 ZK

. . . and soon to add . . .

D-FA 15-30/2.8
D-FA* 70-200/2.8

I really don't need anything else. If anything I'm holding far too many (considering the cost, GULP!)
05-14-2016, 01:05 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Personally, I'm somewhat in love with how the FA43 works on the k-1. For the past few years, its second hand price has been very reasonable. I suspect though, that the value of that lens is going to rise a fair bit (if it hasn't already). There seem to be quite a few k-1 owners singing its praises!

As mentioned, the D-FA50 f2.8 macro, FA50 f1.4, and DA*55 f1.4 are other options in that range.

The only area where the currently available FF lenses is slightly lacking, is in the ultra wide prime region. Beyond the FA31 wide, you have 24mm lenses from samyang or sigma, and wider than that the only option is the samyang 14mm. Whilst those lenses look reasonable, none of them have grabbed me in the same way as say the DA15 APSC lens. Obviously Pentax do sell the 15-30 DFA zoom, and whilst the results look great, personally I'd prefer a prime just to keep the weight down when hiking. (There are some legacy ultra wides, of which I own most of them, but they are showing their age a little bit more than legacy 28mm->50mm primes)
05-14-2016, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only thing I am needing for full frame at this point is a wide angle -- something (hopefuly a prime) in the 15 to 20mm range. Be that as it may, as others have said, there are many current and historical lenses that are out there that won't break the bank.

On the 50mm question, I will just say that it is not unusual for fast 50s to have quite a bit of vignetting wide open on full frame. Looking at photozone, the Canon 50mm f1.4 has 2.6 stops of vignetting at f1.4 and 1.6 stops at f2. The Sony E mount 55mm f1.8 has 2.6 stops of vignetting at f1.8 and 1.8 stops at f2.2. Some of the top end 50s have gotten this down to 1.5 stops wide open, but it is still going to be there, although often fixable in post processing if needed. Anyway, it looks to me like the DA 50mm f1.8 is in the ball park with these other lenses with regards to its performance, particularly in comparison to the other full frame 50mm f1.8 lenses which are OK, but not known for their performance wide open.
05-14-2016, 03:25 AM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't think so...low post count, previous owner of Nikon D5200 and Canon 70D. Current owner of K-3. I believe he has been sampling the various brands and moving up at each step. Not knowing about available lenses could be an expensive mistake, but it is not our money, right?

For the OP (@Vallista), as mentioned above, drilling the offerings at B&H provides an accurate sampling of FF lenses available new in the U.S. There are a few others (e.g. FA 35/2) that are sold outside N. America. If those offerings are inadequate for your needs, a Nikon D810 or Canon 5D MkIII may provide similar performance, though at somewhat higher price points for both body and higher end lenses. A Sony A7RII or A7II may also work for you.

Steve
I've been looking into mark iii and D810. I had a D750 that was great in low light. Here is a link to some of my photos done on the D750 when I had it. I think the k-1 would be better than the D750. I am concern with the AF on the K-1 compared to the D750.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/blackmachismo/y16039
05-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
More lenses are in the making. Will be more primes first!
Please also remind them of the APS-C UWA zoom that's been on the roadmap for some time. I really need a UWA for landscapes and architecture and holding off a third-party purchase because I want something weather sealed
05-14-2016, 04:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Sorry for the late response. There is a 50mm 1.8 that works? is it a designed FF or crop sensor.
There is a list of all compatible lenses here on PF, and I just published an article on my blog about the 'no lenses for Pentax' myth.

There are 34 AF FF lenses for Pentax, 42 if you add the manual focus Samyang lenses. There are four more on the roadmap, the Irix 15 f/2.4 coming soon, and hundreds of vintage glass. There really is no shortage of choice.
05-14-2016, 04:31 AM   #45
Pentaxian

In night clubs AF modules could easily struggle with to little light to work reliably. Luckily the K-1 AF module work down to -3 EV. The D750 and 5D Mark III does that too, but the D810 is a step behind with an AF module that stops at -2 EV. That should rule out the D810 for your kind of work.

Large aperture primes are important for that kind of low light work. I guess its not optimal to work with a tripod in the club, so It would be very practical to have a good stabilizer. Canon and Nikon cant help you with that as they rely on lens stabilization systems and don't offer that in large aperture primes. Pentax solves that elegantly by offering in camera stabilization that works with any lens. New or old, Pentax branded or not. Manual focus or not. It just works. That gives you an opportunity to reduce flash intensity and get more natural lighting in your club photos.