Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Darcy Quote
why always DNG? The files are twice the size. From what I can tell LR processes them the same. Only difference is not having to worry about xmp files.
That was true for the K10d, but after that the DNG's where compressed as well.
Or so I thought. Are you saying there's still a difference?

05-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe the K-1 needs a firmware update. My K-1 is producing 43meg files with DNG and 26-29 meg files in PEF.
05-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Ouch, that's a significant difference. I wonder why.
05-16-2016, 01:45 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Maybe the K-1 needs a firmware update. My K-1 is producing 43meg files with DNG and 26-29 meg files in PEF.
My K-1 produces PEFs and DNGs about the same size for similar subjects. (Assuming I'm not using Pixel Shift). Typically about 45 MB or so, but it depends on various factors.

26-29 MB sounds more like a K-3-series PEF.

05-16-2016, 05:35 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
My K-1 produces PEFs and DNGs about the same size for similar subjects. (Assuming I'm not using Pixel Shift). Typically about 45 MB or so, but it depends on various factors.

26-29 MB sounds more like a K-3-series PEF.

Or an image shot in crop mode.
05-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-1 is producing 43meg files with DNG and 26-29 meg files in PEF.
Something is off here. I did a test with the K-1 and there is no significant difference in file size between DNG and PEF. In my tests the PEF was usually about 300k smaller.
05-16-2016, 10:59 PM   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Something is off here. I did a test with the K-1 and there is no significant difference in file size between DNG and PEF. In my tests the PEF was usually about 300k smaller.
I could be off. It happens more often than I would like. I will do a controlled test tomorrow.

05-17-2016, 02:25 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Or an image shot in crop mode.
I don't think so. In Crop Mode, the K-1 is more like a K-5-series than a K-3-series in terms of megapixels.

I haven't checked, but I would expect PEFs from Crop Mode to be less than 20MB.
05-17-2016, 02:33 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I've installed DCU now, I only have pixel shift examples with motion correction off. DNG files. Comparing it to the latest LR update 6.5.1

Contrast and saturation in an image containing a lot of green are more pleasing in DCU than LR looking at them from a default non-edited state, or looking at it another way - the files in Lightroom seem more "flat" and need help. However, I don't have anything as dramatic as the differences portrayed by TCS. In LR, They need a bump in contrast, and a little shift in white balance away from green in cases where the subject has lots of green. This doesn't occur with non-pixel-shift images, those are identical in DCU and LR.
Detail seems to be identical with the pixel-shift images in either program.

An example with lots of red/magenta by comparison fares much better in LR, in my opinion. The DCU default is over-saturated and would need to be dialed back. So I'm not seeing the kind of dramatic differences others are experiencing, I'll need to try some shots that require motion correction, since obviously the water-shot above is unacceptable. Here are the default images side-by-side out of each program, click-through for higher resolution:

I think your default must be set to bright or vibrant. If you set it to natural, it won't oversaturate that way. That's usually what I have it set to.
05-17-2016, 04:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I don't think so. In Crop Mode, the K-1 is more like a K-5-series than a K-3-series in terms of megapixels.

I haven't checked, but I would expect PEFs from Crop Mode to be less than 20MB.

I have a K-5 IIs; my raw files are typically 23-24mb, PEF is very slightly smaller but not significantly.
05-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I messed up. I had some crop photos that were 23-26mb. They seem rather large for 16 megapixel. Sorry for the confusion I may have caused.
05-17-2016, 09:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I have independently verified that PixelShift in LR or PS using the latest ACR 9.5.1 have a significant problem when using DNG files. The color levels are incorrect for sure with blue being much stronger. What other problems may exist I have no idea.
There is no motion compensation MC in ACR. No published info from Adobe on this.

I would highly recommend that you use either PDCU 5.4.2 or better 5.5.1 from Pentax.

RONC

Last edited by rechmbrs; 05-17-2016 at 09:48 PM.
05-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
I have independently verified that PixelShift in LR or PS using the latest ACR 9.5.1 have a significant problem when using DNG files.
Adobe never fails to disappoint...
05-18-2016, 05:34 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Did you shoot the exact same subject with the exact same lens? I also noticed a difference in file size, but it was because I changed from a 31mm LTD to my 85mm Sigma and the K-1 doesn't recognize the 85mm Sigma as being a FF lens and defaulted to crop mode. If you have the Crop Mode set to Automatic the camera might be switching over without you realizing it and you are getting crop size files with certain lenses. It probably has nothing to do with DNG or PEF.
05-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #45
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
I have independently verified that PixelShift in LR or PS using the latest ACR 9.5.1 have a significant problem when using DNG files. The color levels are incorrect for sure with blue being much stronger. What other problems may exist I have no idea.
There is no motion compensation MC in ACR. No published info from Adobe on this.

I would highly recommend that you use either PDCU 5.4.2 or better 5.5.1 from Pentax.

RONC
I heard someone else notice this. Is this problem unique to K-1 PS images? Because I never heard of this issue on K-3 II pixel shift images.