Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 09:46 AM   #1

PixelShift Images and Lightroom

Has anyone noticed any issues with pixelshift images and lightroom?

thecamerastoretv@ricohpentax K-1 PixelShift image processed with Lightroom on the right, Pentax Digital Camera Utility on the left. Never use Lightroom for K-1 PixelShift images! We learned our lesson. #TCSTV

Attached Images

05-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Why would you take a picture of RUNNING WATER with Pixel Shift?
05-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Nonsense
05-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jigijis Quote

thecamerastoretv@ricohpentax K-1 PixelShift image processed with Lightroom on the right, Pentax Digital Camera Utility on the left. Never use Lightroom for K-1 PixelShift images! We learned our lesson. #TCSTV
Is it the color handling that is bothersome or the Pixel Shift Resolution output of lightroom?
RONC

05-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I can't understand why people are trying to use pixel shift for anything other than perfectly static subjects using a camera mounted on a perfectly motionless tripod?
05-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Because when using motion correction you still get increased detail in the static portions of the image.

Funny how during a technical seminar about the K-1 at CP+ Tanaka Kimio shows a slide with a Pixel Shift photo of a waterfall and you can see the enhanced detail in the rocks.

https://youtu.be/V4Xay7EFOvQ?t=24m35s

Does Lightroom process motion correction? Does it have settings to turn Pixel Shift and Motion Correction on and off.

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-14-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added screencaps
05-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is another thread that discusses the ugly PS results in Lightroom. I am having trouble finding it, however.

Steve

05-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is another thread that discusses the ugly PS results in Lightroom. I am having trouble finding it, however.

Steve
Found it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/320782-pixel-shift-lr-cc.html

Steve
05-14-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jigijis Quote

Gotta love misinformation, right? If you're working with the JPEG file you can use Lightroom just fine.

Camera raw's support of PS isn't quite as refined as the implementation in PDCU (yet), but this doesn't have any affect on contrast or clarity as in the image above

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I took a test shot using the K-1 with a DA-50mm. The camera was on a tripod. When I imported it into lightroom the image was flat, low contrast and very hazy. I managed to make it look OK, but it look a lot of added contrast, noise reduction and a bit of dehaze to clean it up. The same raw file in PDCU looked almost ready to use before I even touched it. It was my first effort so who know whether I did something wrong but that's what I saw.
05-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #11

No experience with Lightroom, but in Adobe Camera Raw 6.1 it seems that it doesn't recognise the Pixel Shift function. PS images processed in Camera Raw were no different from those that were acquired without PS. I had to process them in PDCU in order to get the desired detail boost. However, the colors were completely fine in my case (shooting K-3 II).
05-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #12

Looking at my first pixel shift shots with Adobe Camera Raw I was not too impressed. Switching to PDCU makes all the difference. Tried some landscape shots with motion correction. Did get some slight artifacts with moving water but I am able to smooth them out fine with the Blur tool.
05-14-2016, 07:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I hope Capture One (C1) will support Pixel Shift in the future.
  1. If you haven't tried C1 yet, give the 30-day evaluation a spin. I had been using LR for years before C1 but there is no going back for me.
  2. Visit the "Petition for Capture One support for the K-1" thread for details how to tell Phase One that you want Pixel Shift support for the K-1.

Phase One told me they are prioritising feature requests based on enquiry frequency, so by contacting them, you'll make it more likely that they will follow through with an implementation.

I've seen Adobe fail to deliver on too many promises too many times to have any faith that their Pixel Shift implementation will become as good as that of PDCU.
05-14-2016, 08:02 PM - 4 Likes   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bar_foo Quote
Why would you take a picture of RUNNING WATER with Pixel Shift?
The TCSTV example was done with motion correction on. We had been told repeatedly that it was possible to use use PixelShift in these scenarios, and we were obviously underwhelmed by the Lightroom results. As you can see, the Pentax Software does the job properly. Just trying to spread the word so photographers weren't stuck thinking the subpar Adobe results were as good as it gets.
05-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
I took a test shot using the K-1 with a DA-50mm. The camera was on a tripod. When I imported it into lightroom the image was flat, low contrast and very hazy. I managed to make it look OK, but it look a lot of added contrast, noise reduction and a bit of dehaze to clean it up. The same raw file in PDCU looked almost ready to use before I even touched it. It was my first effort so who know whether I did something wrong but that's what I saw.
Are you shooting DNG or PEF files? I imported my DNG Pixel shift samples into Lightroom and didn't have any problem - they look good.