Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
K1 SD slot selction question

Does anyone know how I can select which SD card does the recording of images when I'm in the sequential mode, I've found how to do it on playback but not recording.

Thanks in advance the old Kerrowdown's being a numpty I'm sure and before you say it... I have already RTFM'd the manual but without success.

05-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Does anyone know how I can select which SD card does the recording of images when I'm in the sequential mode, I've found how to do it on playback but not recording.

Thanks in advance the old Kerrowdown's being a numpty I'm sure and before you say it... I have already RTFM'd the manual but without success.
There is no setting to do so. However, you can force the swap via a particularly tedious workaround.

Power off the camera, remove the currently-selected memory card, power cycle, re-insert the card, and turn the camera back on. The opposite card will now be selected.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is no setting to do so. However, you can force the swap via a particularly tedious workaround.

Power off the camera, remove the currently-selected memory card, power cycle, re-insert the card, and turn the camera back on. The opposite card will now be selected.
Thanks Adam, I'd found that way by kinda default, but thought there must have a simpler way, but not in this case it seems.

At least I feel a whole lot less numpty ish.
05-14-2016, 12:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Sounds like time for a feature request.

05-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like time for a feature request.
Oh I've been begging for a while

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I have thought this 'feature' was a bug on both the k-3 and k-3II. Just did not make any sense. However, with the k-1 I am filling cards, which I never did before and I have discovered the logic behind it. Not saying it is right, but at least I understand what they were trying to achieve.

If you have your cards set for sequential when you fill card one it shifts to card two. Now you remove card one (as it is full) and replace it with card three. When card two fills the camera shifts to card three. You replace card two with card four and so on. This makes sense if you are shooting something that fills cards and you want the images to be sequential on the cards.

Not normally the way I would want it to happen and I wish they gave you more choices but that's the way it is.
05-14-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

In the hope that Ricoh is watching / listening, this bugs me too on my K-3 & K-3II
05-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have thought this 'feature' was a bug on both the k-3 and k-3II. Just did not make any sense. However, with the k-1 I am filling cards, which I never did before and I have discovered the logic behind it. Not saying it is right, but at least I understand what they were trying to achieve.

If you have your cards set for sequential when you fill card one it shifts to card two. Now you remove card one (as it is full) and replace it with card three. When card two fills the camera shifts to card three. You replace card two with card four and so on. This makes sense if you are shooting something that fills cards and you want the images to be sequential on the cards.

Not normally the way I would want it to happen and I wish they gave you more choices but that's the way it is.
But regardless they could still have a setting that reads "sequential 2 1", instead of just the sequential 1 2.

Adam

05-14-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter

But regardless they could still have a setting that reads "sequential 2 1", instead of just the sequential 1 2.
Yep, no question. I just said I could finally see the logic, not that I agreed with it.
05-14-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I think this is a good way for it to work :^|
Options are always nice, of course, but what real benefits would there be to write 2>1 versus the current 1>2 ?

Your description helps me understand how the system works and I know to go ahead and pull the full card in 1 while 2 will continue to fill.
05-14-2016, 03:27 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I think this is a good way for it to work :^|
Options are always nice, of course, but what real benefits would there be to write 2>1 versus the current 1>2 ?

Your description helps me understand how the system works and I know to go ahead and pull the full card in 1 while 2 will continue to fill.
If you happen to put in a blank card that you want to write files to for a single shoot, rather than the existing card.

Adam

05-14-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter

If you happen to put in a blank card that you want to write files to for a single shoot, rather than the existing card.
+1. On the k-3 I rarely filled a card so having the camera occasionally record on card 2 when I thought it was on card 1 was disconcerting. The reality was that I never used card 2, it was just a card holder spot for a spare card. Now that I am actually filling cards I understand what is happening but an option to only use card 1 or card 2 or change the order would be welcome.

Anyway, a rather minor quibble on an otherwise excellent camera. If it's all we have to complain about, Ricoh did a good job.
05-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i see
05-14-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Question that popped into my mind, a situation that might arise. Suppose you are shooting, fill the card in slot #1, camera starts recording to card in slot #2 and builds up a significant quantity there. You want to continue recording on that card BUT ALSO anticipate more upcoming image files than will fit so you want to replace the full card with a blank one. DO you: 1) put the blank card in slot #1 and the camera will continue filing to the card in slot #2 then switch; OR 2) move the card from slot #2 into slot #1 and insert the blank card in slot #2 because the camera will revert to slot #1 when possible, so it will complete the filling of the re-positioned card then go to the blank card in slot #2. I'd be inclined to think the camera would follow the second option = always file to slot #1 if the card there has unused memory space.
05-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter

That is the way I understand it as well. It would be nice if there were were also the option to "write to 'x' if empty else 'y'".

Steve