Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Rokinon and k1

I am happy to announce that the rokinon/samyang/bower 85mm works really well with the k1.

I only have the 85, so not sure how the others work yet.

With that said, when i first used the k1 and rokinon, i shot a few shots wide open (f 1.4) then moved onto other lenses. I must have hit a button wrong where for some odd reason when i tried the lens again, i couldnt go any wider than 1.6.

I then tried the pentax 50mm 1.4 lens, and though it has the 'a' ring and though it is an autofocus lens, this too i couldnt use wider than 1.6.

I just hit factory reset and it started working at 1.4 again.

I remember that when i first got the 85mm, i used it on the k5 and it was a rather tight fit. It almost seemed its scraping something on the inside. But the k1 seems to be the perfect fit. No concerns here.

For anyone else using other rokinon/samyang/bower lenses on k1, please feel free to report here. Im curious to buying the 14mm soon

05-15-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I am happy to announce that the rokinon/samyang/bower 85mm works really well with the k1.

With that said, when i first used the k1 and rokinon, i shot a few shots wide open (f 1.4) then moved onto other lenses. I must have hit a button wrong where for some odd reason when i tried the lens again, i couldnt go any wider than 1.6.

I then tried the pentax 50mm 1.4 lens, and though it has the 'a' ring and though it is an autofocus lens, this too i couldnt use wider than 1.6.

I remember that when i first got the 85mm, i used it on the k5 and it was a rather tight fit. It almost seemed its scraping something on the inside. But the k1 seems to be the perfect fit. No concerns here.

For anyone else using other rokinon/samyang/bower lenses on k1, please feel free to report here. Im curious to buying the 14mm soon
I have the Rokinon 135mm f2.0 and it works fine. I ordered the Samyang 24mm f1.4(used) from B&H today to complete my kit.
05-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Well, that is strange...very strange indeed. Do you remember whether or not this happened in M mode as well as the exposure automated modes? Is there any chance auto-EV compensation or highlight/shadow correction was turned on?

Steve
05-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, that is strange...very strange indeed. Do you remember whether or not this happened in M mode as well as the exposure automated modes? Is there any chance auto-EV compensation or highlight/shadow correction was turned on?

Steve
i generally stay in M mode, as such, my experience was/is only through that mode.
i believe i did try messing with the highlight/shadow correction for a bit. that maybe what caused it. not sure.
i'm trying to replicate the results again to get only f.16, but cant seem to find that bug again....

05-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

samyang 8mm/3.5 works good too, but of course just in crop mode
05-15-2016, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I got the 14mm Samyang a few days ago. Today I went out to do some test shots. It was sunny and hard to see the results. I came home and had a quick look at the camera screen. It seems to have the dreaded de-centering issue. I did pixel shift and stacked shots. The foreground on a few of the shots is in focus on the left side and out of focus on the right side of the frame.

Tomorrow, I will load the files into my computer and take a closer look. Being sunny outside, I was shooting at F11 and 13 most of the time so the depth of field was pretty good but I still stacked anyway to get max depth of field. I hope I am wrong about the de-centering issue. Otherwise, the lens is well built and focus ring is very smooth.
05-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I tried the Samyang 24mm f1.4 for astropjotography purposes. The lens is deadly sharp at f4 and higher but incredibly soft(dreamy ?) wide open. I compared it to my Sigma 35mm f1.4 and Sigma is more sharp at any apertures ... Also the DA* 55mm is sharp but suffer from a lot of CA.
05-17-2016, 12:56 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Yup, the 85 works fine!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-19-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I just recently got the 14mm Rokinon and did some tests with it the other day. I can definitely say that you will need to stop down to around f4 for the best results, at 2.8 its perfectly usable, but has noticeable vignetting and isn't tack sharp. f4 and above it works flawlessly, as long as you have your focus nailed that is. Focus peaking can help, but from some close up tests (within 5 meters) I did I found it to be somewhat inaccurate on where the actual point of focus was. Stopping down again, of course, aids this a lot. So I suggest if you wish to use the 14mm for objects closer up (within 5-10 meters probably) I would stop down to at least f4 or 5.6 to make sure you have some breathing room for the focus peaking to be accurate.
At longer distances, for landscapes and such, just setting it to infinity (the marked spot for infinity, making sure not to roll past it) worked like a charm. The images came out nice and clear, with a very good amount of sharpness considering this is a $300 lens. There is some very noticeable distortion at the edges though, partially because it is hitting a full frame sensor rather than a APSC, but mostly because, well, its a 14mm there will be noticeable warping near the edges. For landscapes it actually gives an interesting mood to the image, and doesn't detract from it. If you were shooting something with strait lines however, it can be distracting and unfavorable. This rule also applies to strait horizons (such as seascapes) as you will notice that the horizon will dip down on the edges. However, once again, this is a $300 lens, and for that price the image quality just can't be beat. Very glad that I decided to pick one up!
05-19-2016, 05:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote
Very glad that I decided to pick one up!
Hi Ginnipe,

I picked up a Samyang 14mm as well. It is very sharp and my experience pretty much parallels yours. The only thing I am not sure about is whether my lens has de-centering issue. In some of the shots, I am noticing softness in the lower corner of the frame on the right. The images seem to be sharper on the left lower side of the frame.

I have read about QC issues with this lens. Have you noticed any inconsistencies in your lens?
05-19-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Thinking of picking up the 14mm Samyang for kitchen photography. My Sigma 10-20 is really only usable at about 15mm on, so it seems like it might work just as well.
05-19-2016, 12:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Hi Ginnipe,

I picked up a Samyang 14mm as well. It is very sharp and my experience pretty much parallels yours. The only thing I am not sure about is whether my lens has de-centering issue. In some of the shots, I am noticing softness in the lower corner of the frame on the right. The images seem to be sharper on the left lower side of the frame.

I have read about QC issues with this lens. Have you noticed any inconsistencies in your lens?
I would double check the images you're noticing this in to see if the objects in the right side of the frame just happen to be closer than the ones on the left. I just popped into lightroom and noticed that the very edges of some of my landscapes were soft, but it was evenly applied to both sides as the rocks were the same distance away. For me I'm just assuming this is a side effect of a 14mm lens, where the edges just can't be super sharp unless you're really stopped down.

So I can say that there is some corner softness, but its evenly applied for me on the very edges, leading me to assume that its either a byproduct of the design of the lens or that I didn't have it stopped down enough.
05-20-2016, 01:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ginnipe Quote
I would double check the images you're noticing this in to see if the objects in the right side of the frame just happen to be closer than the ones on the left. I just popped into lightroom and noticed that the very edges of some of my landscapes were soft, but it was evenly applied to both sides as the rocks were the same distance away. For me I'm just assuming this is a side effect of a 14mm lens, where the edges just can't be super sharp unless you're really stopped down.

So I can say that there is some corner softness, but its evenly applied for me on the very edges, leading me to assume that its either a byproduct of the design of the lens or that I didn't have it stopped down enough.
Good points. However. I shot at f11 and 13. I also did stacked images so the first one is the image that is focused only 2-3ft. from the lens. I did send the lens back. I am going to try a new one when my K1 is shipped in a month or so. I had to give my K1 loaner back. Bummer.