Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 06:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope "Rupert" and Norm are joking. I never suggested that the subject is not important, or that sharpness doesn't matter at all.

Of the three images presented, taking everything into account, I dislike the first one least. None of them are particularly good.

Using pixel shift for hand-held shots is pretty pointless IMNSHO.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-16-2016 at 06:33 AM.
05-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I hope "Rupert" and Norm are joking. I never suggested that the subject is not important, or that sharpness doesn't matter at all.

Of the three images presented, taking everything into account, I dislike the first one least. None of them are particularly good.
Why would I be joking? I said the subject was best portrayed in the third image which it is. So you are saying your prefer the inferior subject and better bokeh? Others may prefer the best subject and will find a way to ignore or deal with the bokeh. This is pretty straight up Sandy. Quit back tracking.

And if you want to stay out of this with me, don't mention me by name. You made this personal when you did that. A really bad practice.

Discus the issue. If you can't do that without offering who should be joking and who shouldn't, well, dude, no one gives a crap what you think about who should be joking. And it adds nothing to the discussion.
05-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #18

The question is, can you extract one of the single images from the PS RAW?

I'm sure I've read the answer somewhere but I can't recall what it is!
05-16-2016, 06:44 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Would pixel shift flatten the beer?

Surely I'm not the only one here concerned with the beers well being?

05-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Why would I be joking? I said the subject was best portrayed in the third image which it is. So you are saying your prefer the inferior subject and better bokeh? Others may prefer the best subject and will find a way to ignore or deal with the bokeh. This is pretty straight up Sandy. Quit back tracking.

And if you want to stay out of this with me, don't mention me by name. You made this personal when you did that. A really bad practice.

Discus the issue. If you can't do that without offering who should be joking and who shouldn't, well, dude, no one gives a crap what you think about who should be joking. And it adds nothing to the discussion.
Whoah! Check your aggression! I'm playing the ball, not the man here. Your name was already on your earlier comment, so how is mentioning you personalising it?

If the beer bottle was the only important part of the image, the only sensible approach would have been to put the camera on a tripod and do the job properly. In my opinion, of the three images posted, the first is the best overall - less sharp where it matters but less awful everywhere else.

I'm pretty confident wizofoz was not offering any of these up as potential commercial product shots, but as a subject for for dispassionate discussion.
05-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Whoah! Check your aggression! I'm playing the ball, not the man here. Your name was already on your earlier comment, so how is mentioning you personalising it?

If the beer bottle was the only important part of the image, the only sensible approach would have been to put the camera on a tripod and do the job properly. In my opinion, of the three images posted, the first is the best overall - less sharp where it matters but less awful everywhere else.

I'm pretty confident wizofoz was not offering any of these up as potential commercial product shots, but as a subject for for dispassionate discussion.
Sandy, you must be joking. That nonsense couldn't be serious. (Enjoy your own medicine.)

All you need here is little awareness of your own aggression, Sandy.

I usually don't have a great first move, but i usually have a hell of a counter punch.

When people disagree with you, it's not aggression, even if in your mind, that's the way you perceive it.

People can appreciate the third image more than the first, without joking. It's all preference, no joker status involved, unless one is trying to imply others are not to be taken seriously, which you definitely did. Are you ready to lay this down?

Last edited by normhead; 05-16-2016 at 07:18 AM.
05-16-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter

Yes. I'm joking.
Can we get back to discussing pixel shift and motion correction?
05-16-2016, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I did a little experiment this evening to see if the motion correction feature is at all useful for hand held shots of immobile objects. As it happens the nearest thing to hand to focus on was a very nice brew from the north of the South Island of NZ

Top image is just a single shot, hand held
Middle image is also hand held, pixel shift on, no motion correction
Bottom image is pixel shift on, motion correction on.

I saved the images sooc in PDCU4 with the motion correction setting at 'Camera Setting'

Very interesting
I hope for your sake that no Westcoasters see this slur on the location of their favourite brewery. They are a tough bunch down there!

Interesting post otherwise

05-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by doodlebug Quote
I hope for your sake that no Westcoasters see this slur on the location of their favourite brewery. They are a tough bunch down there!

Ye gods! I failed to notice this was an East Island brew!!
What sort of heresy is this wizofoz?
05-16-2016, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

It's always been about the beer...... nice to see this thread getting back on track....man I could go a pizza right now with all this beer talk.
05-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
It's always been about the beer...... nice to see this thread getting back on track....man I could go a pizza right now with all this beer talk.
I've been on the pinot grigio and chardonnay, followed by single malt. Man, I could go a beer....
05-16-2016, 07:51 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not so sure the third picture, as far as the beer is concerned, is that much better than the first. The focus seems to have shifted a bit in the third making the bottle more in focus, and the colours are obviously a little better. However, if one were to PP the first picture a little bit, to boost contrast and give the blue a little more depth, giving same focus plane (which we can't reproduce using the giving file in this case, sadly), I think the first picture would be damn close of the third one, even if one were to PP the third one, of course.
05-16-2016, 08:06 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about the photos except that I wouldn't keep the second one (probably wouldn't keep any of them). I wouldn't use pixel shift hand held. My understanding about the motion correction feature is that if it detects artifacts, it just uses the first image you shot in that location. Odds are that most of the third image is just the first image of the four shot. Better to use SR, steady yourself the best you can and then snap the photo and use a higher iso is necessary to get decent shutter speed.
05-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I saved the images sooc in PDCU4 with the motion correction setting at 'Camera Setting'
Do you mean DCU5.5.1? AFAIK PDCU4 does not support motion correction or pixel shift for that matter..

Try it with more light and faster shutter speeds.

Until then I'd say the jury is still out on this one.

Also try processing:
camera setting / DCU5.5.1 setting
PS on - MC on / PS on - MC off
PS on - MC off / PS on - MC on

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.
05-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #30
bxf
Site Supporter

Aside from that?
Sharpness is not particularly important. If you don't understand that by now you may as well give up.
I'm not saying that sharpness is the only important criterion, but how is being able to see more detail (as in being able to read something that otherwise cannot be read) suddenly not important? We do judge equipment by, among other things, the sharpness of its images, no?

And, how important is bokeh when one is shooting at small apertures, with the intention of maximizing DOF?