Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
Forum Member

Viewfinder cleaning

My K1 viewfinder has a tiny spot in the corner - no big deal, but got me to wondering if it can be cleaned (by me).

My K3 has interchangeable viewfinders that can easily be removed; can that also be done with the K1?

Thanks much

05-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Unregistered User

You mean the focusing screen? It looks like it is removable the same way as the K-3.
05-16-2016, 08:02 AM   #3

Be very, that is very careful with that.

The matte screen seems not to be interchangeable, thus damages to it are permanent.

See here: https://thefoxtakespictures.com/2015/08/31/why-to-never-touch-that-focusing-screen/
05-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

Personally speaking, I wouldn't bother. When I got my K-3, which was my first camera I purchased for myself, I got hyper critical about babying it and would constantly try to keep it clean. Every time I changed lenses I would use a blower to clear out anything that may have made its way in, which may have caused stuff to actually enter and stick to the focusing screen. Being all OCD about specks in the viewfinder I tried to pop the screen and use a blower on both sides of it. Unfortunately holding the screen with tweezers by the little tab wasn't secure enough and dropped the screen slightly within the retention frame, causing a faint scratch. The scratch is a very light one and not every noticeable thankfully. Since then I've sworn off messing with trying to get every speck that shows up on the focusing screen through the viewfinder. I still use a blower every once in a while if I feel it could help, but I'm not going to obsess over it since it's not going to show in my images.

05-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
Personally speaking, I wouldn't bother. When I got my K-3, which was my first camera I purchased for myself, I got hyper critical about babying it and would constantly try to keep it clean. Every time I changed lenses I would use a blower to clear out anything that may have made its way in, which may have caused stuff to actually enter and stick to the focusing screen. Being all OCD about specks in the viewfinder I tried to pop the screen and use a blower on both sides of it. Unfortunately holding the screen with tweezers by the little tab wasn't secure enough and dropped the screen slightly within the retention frame, causing a faint scratch. The scratch is a very light one and not every noticeable thankfully. Since then I've sworn off messing with trying to get every speck that shows up on the focusing screen through the viewfinder. I still use a blower every once in a while if I feel it could help, but I'm not going to obsess over it since it's not going to show in my images.
agree; can't be obsessive; but, good to know you can remove the screen on the K1 if so desired.
05-17-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
but, good to know you can remove the screen on the K1 if so desired.
Where do you get that knowledge from? The text you've quoted is about the K-3, which has interchangeable matte screens (as several APS-C DSLRs from Pentax had), but there's no indication that that's the same with the K-1.

Apparently nobody has yet tried to fumble with the silver "retaining spring"-thingmajig inside the K-1's mirror case and posted their results.
05-18-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Where do you get that knowledge from? The text you've quoted is about the K-3, which has interchangeable matte screens (as several APS-C DSLRs from Pentax had), but there's no indication that that's the same with the K-1.

Apparently nobody has yet tried to fumble with the silver "retaining spring"-thingmajig inside the K-1's mirror case and posted their results.
assumption from Tjompen1968; have not tried it, don't intend to any time soon

05-18-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
assumption from Tjompen1968; have not tried it, don't intend to any time soon
Not assumption. It is removable. I have tested.
05-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
It is removable
That would be great news indeed.

Could you post an image of the removed matte screen? What is it shaped like? Might it be possible to use an old matte screen from the Pentax LX or MX?
05-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
it is so easy to break or scratch the screen while cleaning it. Moreover, it will get dirty again, and again, so definitely weigh the risk vs reward.
OK, that said, i used to soak mine in Windex and air dry with compressed air (securing the screen or it will blast across the room, lol).
These days, i live with any and all dirt because it will never be 100% clean, ever.

Also, many times you can lift the mirror (using the sensor cleaning menu feature, NOT by touching the mirror!!) and use your rocket blower to remove dust from the focusing screen effectively without removing it. did you already exhaust that possibility?

good luck and be careful!
05-18-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
That would be great news indeed.

Could you post an image of the removed matte screen? What is it shaped like? Might it be possible to use an old matte screen from the Pentax LX or MX?
No, I will not remove it again unless it gets dirty. As said before, it is a risk you take. Looking at my Pentax MG screen it kind of looks the same size but i do not want to measure inside the camera.

---------- Post added 05-18-16 at 09:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it is so easy to break or scratch the screen while cleaning it. Moreover, it will get dirty again, and again, so definitely weigh the risk vs reward.
OK, that said, i used to soak mine in Windex and air dry with compressed air (securing the screen or it will blast across the room, lol).
These days, i live with any and all dirt because it will never be 100% clean, ever.

Also, many times you can lift the mirror (using the sensor cleaning menu feature, NOT by touching the mirror!!) and use your rocket blower to remove dust from the focusing screen effectively without removing it. did you already exhaust that possibility?

good luck and be careful!
Yes, be careful, it was kind of scary opening it up and not as easy to close as on the K-3.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 05-18-2016 at 12:43 PM.