Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2016, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Am I the first one breaks his new K1?

Yesterday I was hiking with kids. Of course with K1 and FA 43 mounted, FA 28 in my pocket. Should't have taken K1 for hiking, but I was till within the honeymoon with the new camera and light was dim in the trees. Austin had a lot of rain recently and I didn’t realize how slippery the trail was…Or should I blame Nike for their hiking shoe does not work well enough when gets wet.. Anyway, camera flew away from my hand and hit somewhere ~2 feet away. Don’t know what it hit, but the camera was found in mud. I was hoping the the mud could protect the gear but apparently it hit something else before landing. Right shoulder was cracked, top prism cover was broken and the bottom cover had bad damage as well. The LCD screen was scattered, of course, but I have to say, the entire articulation mechanism survived the impact test. Despite the broken glass, the rest parts are still fine.
The camera was powered on when it happened. I turned it off immediately and wiped the mud and water off. But I didn’t check if the screen was still on when I picked it up.
Went back home, before cleaning myself, I put the camera in the zip bag with a lot of silica gel dryer. I saw no water in the camera actually. And hoped everything was just cosmetic damage.
This morning I tried to power it on, sad enough, nothing happened. Now I put it back to the bag with new silica gel and hope a miracle could happen…
Both lenses are fine. And I am fine, just a little pain on the butt. So at least it wasn’t the worst thing could happen.

05-16-2016, 11:25 AM   #2

It is really sad and unfortunate, but as you said you are fine and this is what counts the most.....
05-16-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. And I am still hoping the camera will wake up from sleep tomorrow.
Did I try to power it on too early and damaged the camera?
05-16-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Straight to the nearest repair facility to see what they can salvage. Do not delay.

I hope you had insurance on your gear for when you're out and about.

05-16-2016, 11:49 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Thanks. And I am still hoping the camera will wake up from sleep tomorrow.
Did I try to power it on too early and damaged the camera?
Everything is possible, try to think positive, at that point is hard to say if the early start did any additional damage.
Try not to replay in your mind the accident since you can't really change anything. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you and I hope you'll be posting tomorrow that you started your camera with no problem.
05-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

I would take the battery or batteries out and dry them separately if you haven't already. And I would try another battery, if you have one, the next time you power it on.
05-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A rather dubious distinction. My sincere condolences.

How did the lens hold up? Did the pixie dust spill out?

05-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
How did the lens hold up? Did the pixie dust spill out?
I don't know... The camera sacrificed herself and protected the lens I guess. I didn't see what happened after the camera left my hand. But I will guess the lens collected more pixie dust, even thought I have wiped a lot of dust off from it.

QuoteOriginally posted by mechmike10 Quote
I would take the battery or batteries out and dry them separately
Yes, I have taken the battery out immediately and have tried with 2 other batteries.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I hope you had insurance on your gear
No I don't. I have requested a quote from insurance and it is way to expensive for accident protection. House insurance protects gear loss at flood or fire, but not for this case. What king of insurance do you guys have for your gear?

Thank you very much for all the reply. It wasn't that bad for me actually. I can still buy a K1 back with the wife's permission. If I cry bad enough tonight she might agree :-). The worse case was my FA 85 damaged with K5II two years ago, but I can not find a good FA 85/1.4. Sigma 85 is sharper in test, but is different.

Will post here again if the camera is revived.
05-16-2016, 01:04 PM   #9

I would let it dry out for several days if not a week before trying it out. I know, it seems like forever.
05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
Yesterday I was hiking with kids. Of course with K1 and FA 43 mounted, FA 28 in my pocket. Should't have taken K1 for hiking, but I was till within the honeymoon with the new camera and light was dim in the trees. Austin had a lot of rain recently and I didn’t realize how slippery the trail was…Or should I blame Nike for their hiking shoe does not work well enough when gets wet.. Anyway, camera flew away from my hand and hit somewhere ~2 feet away. Don’t know what it hit, but the camera was found in mud. I was hoping the the mud could protect the gear but apparently it hit something else before landing. Right shoulder was cracked, top prism cover was broken and the bottom cover had bad damage as well. The LCD screen was scattered, of course, but I have to say, the entire articulation mechanism survived the impact test. Despite the broken glass, the rest parts are still fine.
The camera was powered on when it happened. I turned it off immediately and wiped the mud and water off. But I didn’t check if the screen was still on when I picked it up.
Went back home, before cleaning myself, I put the camera in the zip bag with a lot of silica gel dryer. I saw no water in the camera actually. And hoped everything was just cosmetic damage.
This morning I tried to power it on, sad enough, nothing happened. Now I put it back to the bag with new silica gel and hope a miracle could happen…
Both lenses are fine. And I am fine, just a little pain on the butt. So at least it wasn’t the worst thing could happen.
Gutted for you mate.

Having read your tale of woe I've attached the BlackRapid strap to my K-1 and won't risk it any longer (have been shooting without for the past week).
05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can get a lot of water out of electronics very quickly using your household vacuum (or better yet, a shop vac).

Open all your camera hatches. Then turn the vacuum on with the hose attachment, and use your index finger and thumb to create a moveable ring seal between the hose and your camera. Apply the suction to every opening or seal, and keep moving it around. Come back to problem spots.

After you've sucked everything you can, then close it in a ziplock bag with the desiccant packets inside and play the waiting game.

I partially recovered a K-5iis after full immersion in a pond for a duration of several seconds (it was dead, dead, dead upon recovery). And I did a bunch of stuff wrong between the dunk and trying this.
05-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm really sorry to hear about your camera. I understand because I have had 2 similar situations occur with K5 and K3. Fortunatley in both cases I had a square trade warranty. Wasn't cheap but worth the $250?? for 3 years of peace of mind and accidental warranty to cover the unexpected. I hope you can revive her. I know how sad you must be feeling. At least you didn't hurt yourself!!!!
05-16-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Having read your tale of woe I've attached the BlackRapid strap to my K-1 and won't risk it any longer (have been shooting without for the past week).
A strap could help in this case, but it caused a damaging last year when I was shooting in a wedding. I put the camera with 16-50 mount on a chair when I was using another one with 50-135 on it. then when I tried to grab the one on chair, the strap was partial hooked on the corner of the chair and I dropped the camera. 16-50 touched the grass and the zoom was stuck at ~24mm and AF motor died. I still use the lens for the rest part of wedding in MF model.
How can I damage so many cameras and lenses? I never counted how many accidence I had but apparently I had broken quite a few!
05-16-2016, 01:32 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you have the first K-1 parts camera on the market.
05-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
"square trade warranty." -- Do I need to buy protection for each item that I want insurance? I saw they sell protection plan for camera unto $3000, so I guess that is for camera only?