Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 05:22 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nabee2002 Quote
If you purchased the k1 with a credit card you may have purchase protection plan. Check w your credit card company.

Credit Cards That Offer Purchase Protection | Bankrate.com
I posted that higher up in the thread, but the OP never said whether he used a credit card or not. I would never make this kind of purchase without a credit card (for the various protections, and for the reward points), but I'm not sure what he used.

Here's what my Visa card says it covers: "items purchased entirely with your credit card for the first 90 days from the date of purchase in the event of loss,
theft, damage or fire."

My Amazon Rewards Visa card from Chase also automatically extends the manufacturer warranty for one year, which is another very nice bonus.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-18-2016 at 05:41 AM.
05-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I did use American express card. I will call to see what will happen.
I never know this benefit. I felt it was obviously my own mistake and never thought of such protection for credit card.
Thank you guys!
05-18-2016, 06:26 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I did use American express card. I will call to see what will happen.
I never know this benefit. I felt it was obviously my own mistake and never thought of such protection for credit card.
Thank you guys!
You may be in luck. A quick Google search showed this page:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection.html

It shows a picture of a DSLR and states:
"Your new camera was stolen. You knocked over your new lamp moving your couch. Sometimes the unexpected happens. But when you use your Card for eligible purchases, it's nice to know membership can help protect your purchases.

Use Your Eligible Card - When you charge a covered purchase on your Card account, Purchase Protection can help protect your purchase for up to 90 days from the date of purchase if it is stolen or accidentally damaged. "
It also has a phone number to call for more info. It looks like there are different types of American Express cards with different levels of protection, but I've got my fingers crossed for you!

And here's a link to an FAQ page:

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/purchase-protection/faq.html

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 05-18-2016 at 06:35 AM.
05-18-2016, 08:08 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you so much, everyone!
I just called american express and was confirmed the camera was protected; although they cover only upto $1000. If it costs less than $500 to get it repaired (I doubt), I will have it fixed.
Now the problem is, credit card wants the camera and I have it mailed out 70 min ago for repair estimation. I will discuss with credit card issuer to see what they think. I guess they will be happy to hear and will let me go through the repair inspection first.
Anyway, you guys saved me $1000!
thanks a lot!

05-18-2016, 08:39 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Awesome news!
05-18-2016, 08:41 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Veteran Member

Anyway, you guys saved me $1000!
thanks a lot!
You'd think that'd be worth a "like" or two!

Now you've gotta play your cards right. Your wife already cleared you to spend another $1700, so it sounds like you might be able to buy a nice lens with the difference. I recommend the Sigma 85mm!
05-18-2016, 08:51 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I recommend the Sigma 85mm!
I have that one already. It is incredibly sharp at wide open. I have all AF primes from 14m to 300mm ready for K1 years ago, plus many MF ones.
Actually she is not happy with the extra expense, even $800. We need to install gutter around the house first...
But $800 budget is a lot easier to get approved than $1800!

05-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I have that one already. It is incredibly sharp at wide open. I have all AF primes from 14m to 300mm ready for K1 years ago, plus many MF ones.
Very cool. I bought my Sigma 85mm three years ago, and the images it gives me have blown me away with their sharpness and beauty. I can't wait to use it on a K-1, but I'm going to have to save up for a while.
05-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Camera is dead! Not even worth repairing. main board and SR system need to be replaced, and shell, LCD...costs more than $1000.
Credit card will take the camera and will probably pay me $1000. They haven't decided yet.
Just ordered another K1 from B&H. Now back-ordered...
I will take the positive side: you guys saved me probably $1000. Thank you!
05-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera is dead! Not even worth repairing. main board and SR system need to be replaced, and shell, LCD...costs more than $1000.
Credit card will take the camera and will probably pay me $1000. They haven't decided yet.
Just ordered another K1 from B&H. Now back-ordered...
I will take the positive side: you guys saved me probably $1000. Thank you!
Holy *^%^<€#%>!
05-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #56
mee
Veteran Member

I believe that really is the first totaled K-1. I wonder what the insurance company ends up doing with it?
05-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I believe that really is the first totaled K-1.
It doesn't have to be totaled. If I don't have credit card's protection coverage, I will have it repaired. But if repair costs more than credit card can pay me, I would rather buy a new one. repair will probably take longer than B&H could fulfill the back-ordered K1.
I believe credit card issuer will sell the camera to someone can fix it. I hope.
05-27-2016, 01:33 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I believe that really is the first totaled K-1. I wonder what the insurance company ends up doing with it?
I fear it may be hoisted above the gate guarding the entrance to Canikonshire
05-27-2016, 02:13 PM - 2 Likes   #59
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I fear it may be hoisted above the gate guarding the entrance to Canikonshire
Indeed.
Attached Images

05-27-2016, 02:15 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter