Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #16

I also would have preferred a standard built-in screen for durability, perhaps a small price-savings (I know, it's already a really well-priced camera, but saving a little in R&D as well as the parts that do go into it could have done something), and a bit of thickness. That being said, It is really awesome when you have the camera mounted on a tripod, especially at strange angles such as for astrophotography. I can imaging it would also be much appreciated while doing candid photography, what with being able to hold it waist-level, and with the side-to side flexibility you can even view the screen straight-on while shooting at angles. It's really odd, and I never thought I'd appreciate it much, but all in all, I'd say the pros outweigh the cons.

05-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Seeing as how the best use of a tilt screen is to point it straight up for low angle images,
Does that perfectly. The limitation is in overhead shots, where you only get about 45 degrees. If you shoot news in crowds a lot that would be a limitation. But for a landscape, field, nature camera I find the range of motion quite good.
05-17-2016, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

I find 45º to be plenty for overhead shots actually.
05-17-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. It's clear that people are using the funky screen for all kinds of things.

I guess I will just wait and see if it grows on me. Worst case scenario is that I just don't use it, and then I still have an awesome camera...

05-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
You can always tether the camera to a smartphone or tablet for ultimate screen movability.
...which is what I've done for many of my K-3 shots, both for awkward macro work, and for getting the waist-level viewpoint.
05-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

The range of motion seems like it would allow easier use of the illumination leds in the dark to illuminate the camera rear.
05-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I wonder if weather sealing played in this design. It is certainly a unique setup.
05-17-2016, 09:29 PM   #23
Site Supporter

The side to side rotation helps a little bit when the camera is in portrait orientation, for tripod work and stuff. But I agree with Uncle Vanya, above - it enables the illumination on the rear of the screen to be moved around.

05-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I've had screens like what's on the KS-2, and while there are times having that extra range of motion is handy, it does take more time to get it into position. Flip the screen out and then rotating it all the way around vs pulling and nudging like on the K1. It's not a massive difference, but enough where I appreciate the K1 design more. To each their own though...
05-17-2016, 10:17 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I find it adequate.... and quirky enough to be a Pentax thing!
05-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
and quirky enough to be a Pentax thing!
So true! One does look at it and think, "only Pentax...."
05-17-2016, 11:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I expect at some point that Ricoh may sell a K-1 Lite version with a fixed rear screen, simplified settings dial, no Astro tracer, and only one lighting LED for changing lenses. The resulting camera would be both smaller and lighter.
:-) that could well happen, but you'll have to wait for a couple more of years.
05-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I think it wasn't really designed for that, but it's a natural by-product of the design.

I've been using it such a lot tilted upwards and tilting it sideways a bit slightly can really help getting sun glare off it too.
That's exactly what I think. Quote from a dpreview thread:

QuoteQuote:
Having played with the K-1 a couple of weeks ago at B&H I realized that the "spider position" of the LCD, with all 4 legs extended, is actually not very useful and is mostly a by-product of the real reason for this design - the unique support for *vertical* waist level position, where only 2 legs are extended and with the screen still centered behind the lens.

The K-1 LCD screen has a brilliant design, but the fact that people tend to pull out all 4 legs and swivel it a bit from side to side (why?) shows that most don't understand the point behind the design. I think Pentax should explain this better.
05-18-2016, 12:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
I've been playing with my K-1 for the past 2 days and in many ways it's a huge step up from my old K-5. But I don't get the screen... Yes you can pull and twist it in a million different ways, but the range of motion is so tiny. It only tilts left & right about 30º, hardly enough to make a difference. It tilts down about 45º which is a little better, but still not ideal for doing overhead shooting.
Nikon did it, so I would not be surprised if Ricoh felt that they have to have something similar on the K1 (since a number of Pentaxians referred to or switched to the D750 while the K1 was being designed). BTW, D750's implementation is not as good as K1's implementation. If you don't like the screen of the K1, just leave it in its default position and use Wifi tethering with smartphone instead so that you have 360 degree of freedom.
05-18-2016, 12:49 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The range of motion is probably due to the limitation of keeping the rotation on the optical axis as well as the physical dimensions of the screen and supporting arms..