Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 01:29 AM   #31
Veteran Member

I used my flexiscreen (tm) alot when I was shooting on a factorysite where there is alot of scafolding. I used the tilt in all direction because you are limited to get a good line of sight in a bussy factory. Tilt the screen to the right, lean stretch the camera out from the railing and get your shot.

I guess it would be quite usefull for some T/S shots with my samyang 24.

05-18-2016, 02:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thinking more about the screen, in addition to the sound, I like that it stays behind the camera.

In use, it doesn't have to be folded out to the side of the camera. This may cause the adjustment angle to be a bit less in portrait orientation, but I think I like it better.

My old video camera has a screen that flips to the side like the handle for a periscope. :^p I have one other camera with tilt screen only. It also stays behind the camera but is of no use in portrait orientation. Then, there is the Pentax design.
05-18-2016, 03:18 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The design is geniusly made. I just love it. The next step is to make it removable, with a wireless connection. With a screen on both sides so that you can have live view on one side and menu on the other. The unit will then charge itself when attached to the camera.
05-18-2016, 03:52 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The next step is to make it removable, with a wireless connection.
Yes! That would be an excellent solution from user's standpoint. The display itself may be fairly thick then.

05-18-2016, 04:12 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

"Where can I buy a replacement screen, I lost mine at a waterfall yesterday"

No, I think a removable one isn't a good idea.

You still have your phone for that, and if the app gets a bit of a redesign you'd not be thinking of a removable screen for much longer.
05-18-2016, 04:21 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
You still have your phone for that, and if the app gets a bit of a redesign you'd not be thinking of a removable screen for much longer.
Yes, that's it. For someone using an phone along with the camera; there's no need of a removable screen, nor tilt screen.
05-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, that's it. For someone using an phone along with the camera; there's no need of a removable screen, nor tilt screen.
True, but then with the current screen, no annoying phone call right in the middle of setting up your once in a lifetime greatest shot ever of an event that will never occur again.

FWIW never thought a tilt screen was needed, but when I got my MX-1 I found it pretty handy a few times.
05-18-2016, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

I have on several occasions used the K-3 wifi with my iPad. I really want a one hand solution. Good to know about the 90º tilt, good for those of us who spent our early years shooting a twin lens reflex with a waist level viewfinder. As much as I'm used to SLR and DSLRs, waste level with frosted glass will always be "normal" for me.

05-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
"Where can I buy a replacement screen, I lost mine at a waterfall yesterday"

No, I think a removable one isn't a good idea.

Obviously it will be possible to surf the net and make a call from the display if needed, but it will be a Pentax.
05-18-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Put a Pentax sticker on your phone and some velcro on the back and slap it on the camera and the future is here.
05-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Put a Pentax sticker on your phone and some velcro on the back and slap it on the camera and the future is here.
Done!
05-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
No... that would be too close to becoming a mobile photographer

People strap a camera 'module' to their cell phone, use the phone as the viewfinder, and continue to maintain they have a camera phone.

Still, what the consternation, let's get together a kickstarter and give it a go.
05-18-2016, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #43
Site Supporter

This might be the new "Why I won't buy a K-3" thread.
05-19-2016, 12:26 AM - 1 Like   #44

For anyone out there that has the K1 and is still confused about the usefulness of the articulating screen, listen up.

Go outside, make sure its cold out and at night. Set your camera on a tripod to do a long exposure. The wind is blowing just enough that you want to be shielded from the wind by a rock that your camera is just peaking over. So you sit down behind it. The camera is just off to the side of you, and just above your head.

Wanna see how the picture came out? No problem, the screen tilts exactly how you want it to so that you can be at an odd angle to the camera and still operate it fully, without getting frozen by the wind.

This is the exact situation I was in a couple days ago. That is when I was truly sold on the screen. Just having that flexibility there. This screen was practically made for tripod shooting, as you aren't always directly behind the camera, but often just off to the side. It is brilliant. No other screen can tilt in to the exact angle that you need if you arent right behind the camera, this camera can. I absolutely love the rear screen.
05-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use it all the time when I am shooting low with a tripod. It certainly does allow for shooting in many positions that would otherwise not have the rear LCD visible. But there's always super glue and never use it again.