Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter

K-1 screen: stupid?

I've been playing with my K-1 for the past 2 days and in many ways it's a huge step up from my old K-5.

But I don't get the screen...

Yes you can pull and twist it in a million different ways, but the range of motion is so tiny. It only tilts left & right about 30º, hardly enough to make a difference. It tilts down about 45º which is a little better, but still not ideal for doing overhead shooting. And who in their right mind would need to *rotate* the screen (again, only about 30º...) It has too many degrees of freedom and too little range of motion.

The swivel/twist screen on the K-S2 seems a lot simpler and more flexible (it can actually rotate a full 90º in all directions). Or if they had omitted it entirely they probably could've saved 1/4" on the depth of the camera.

05-17-2016, 05:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But it's so much more convenient to stow than an articulating screen, and more compact. I like it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-17-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is a very satisfying plunk when the screen is stowed.

It may be a bit much..
I also guess the screen cost almost 1/4" and a handful of ounces.
I would like to have the weight and depth back..

Still, I imagine I will use it some. And I like the plunk sound. Seems almost as if magnets snap the screen home just before I finish pushing it in to store.
05-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'd like to see a little more range of motion, but it's head and shoulders above a non-moveable screen.

05-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
overhead shooting
I haven't found it to be too limiting yet... When shooting overhead I just turn the camera upside down then I have full 90. For portrait orientation again the view is rotated so full 90... This is my first tilty screen though so I don't have a reference either...
05-17-2016, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I expect at some point that Ricoh may sell a K-1 Lite version with a fixed rear screen, simplified settings dial, no Astro tracer, and only one lighting LED for changing lenses. The resulting camera would be both smaller and lighter.

BTW...not a big fan of camcorder-style articulated screens...

Steve

(...I know, I know...but one can still hope.
05-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

If I had to take a guess to the reasoning behind it. . . More range of motion than a basic tilt screen, but without the awkward manipulations that a swivel screen requires. Trying to please both groups, but probably won't really make either faction happy.
05-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #8
Lens Buying Addict

I've used the screen for about 1/4 of my shots so far and it really opens up some possibilities I couldn't have done before. About half of them are waist level or ground shots squatting with the screen angled 90 degrees. The side tilts can be very useful on tripod in tight spaces.

I like it a lot. I didn't like camcorder screens on camcorders and used the eye-level viewfinder exclusively.

05-17-2016, 06:19 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter

Different users will have varying experience with the screen. I have a number of posts on this forum stating that 'flippy' screens were a waste and I did not need one. After using the one on the K-1 I've changed my mind.

For outdoor shots on a tripod I have found it very useful. I actually like it a lot. A little twist or turn to get the glare off the LCD screen. Tilt up or down depending on the tripod height. I used it for almost all of the tripod shots I took last week.
05-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #10

flexible screen on K1

Just a few thoughts. The screen lines up with the optical axis assisting in using live view. Also the screen can be adjusted to assist in both landscape and portrait views.
Regards,
Balticbelle
05-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
And who in their right mind would need to *rotate* the screen (again, only about 30º...)
I think it wasn't really designed for that, but it's a natural by-product of the design.

I've been using it such a lot tilted upwards and tilting it sideways a bit slightly can really help getting sun glare off it too.
05-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
npc
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Balticbelle Quote
Just a few thoughts. The screen lines up with the optical axis assisting in using live view. Also the screen can be adjusted to assist in both landscape and portrait views.
Regards,
Balticbelle
Assists how ?(the on optical axis part)
Could you give a practical example when comared to K-S2 screen ?
05-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Seeing as how the best use of a tilt screen is to point it straight up for low angle images, I have to agree with the OP. This actually has me thinking K-S2 for my next camera again.
05-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Seeing as how the best use of a tilt screen is to point it straight up for low angle images, I have to agree with the OP. This actually has me thinking K-S2 for my next camera again.
If by "straight-up" you mean at a 90deg angle from the camera body, the K-1 can do that. While in landscape orientation you could set the camera on the ground and have the screen directly viewable from straight above the camera.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.komputerswiat.pl%2Fmedi...iera53.jpg&f=1
05-17-2016, 07:24 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Seeing as how the best use of a tilt screen is to point it straight up for low angle images, I have to agree with the OP.
Actually it does tilt to 90º for ground levels shots, so that's not a problem. As mentioned in the OP, it does about 30º side to side and just under 45º for overhead shots.

I find it's enough movement for just about any situation. If you really need 90º side to side I guess you could put the camera into portrait orientation at a pinch.

You can always tether the camera to a smartphone or tablet for ultimate screen movability.