Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 buffer fills up quick it seems

Maybe its just my card (SanDisk Extreme 64 GB UHS1 ) had only 100 or so shots left,but in cont shooting-high after 6 shots it stopped till the buffer cleared? auto high lights is only function turned on,jpeg-raw full size, also battery was 1/2 full..maybe that had something to do with it?

05-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unlikely the battery had anything to do with it. I noticed myself the buffer fills up, and I never noticed that on the k-3 for my shooting. And if you were shooting RAW+jpeg that is even more data to write out.

I did not do any formal testing but I did shoot some 10 to 15 shot sequences and the buffer filled up. I think this just points out that the k1 is designed as a field camera not a sports camera.
05-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Maybe its just my card (SanDisk Extreme 64 GB UHS1 ) had only 100 or so shots left,but in cont shooting-high after 6 shots it stopped till the buffer cleared? auto high lights is only function turned on,jpeg-raw full size, also battery was 1/2 full..maybe that had something to do with it?
Do you have clarity enhancement on perhaps?

I got 12 raw+ files in FF mode and 40 raw+ files in APS-C mode.

Also, in FF mode, I got 97 JPEGs without distortion correction on, but only about 22 with distortion correction on. All other JPEG effects have a negligible performance impact.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-17-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is the buffer clear time on the K-1?

05-17-2016, 11:41 PM   #5
edo
Forum Member

Try to format your card or buy a new one maybe?
05-18-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I can do at least 12 RAW+JPEG frames before the buffer is full (without any optional JPEG processing), using Transcend 62Gb 600x type (90Mb/s).
05-18-2016, 02:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i would say that any distortion correction, or fringing correction is probably the source of the big slow down.... Like on any previous Pentax DSLR

05-18-2016, 06:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Do you have clarity enhancement on perhaps?

I got 12 raw+ files in FF mode and 40 raw+ files in APS-C mode.

Also, in FF mode, I got 97 JPEGs without distortion correction on, but only about 22 with distortion correction on. All other JPEG effects have a negligible performance impact.
Update... on my Extreme Pro 128GB card UHS1 I(3oo shots left) get 11 R+J with all turned off (highlight,shadow correct) & 28 shots in crop mode .... how did you get 4o in crop mode? what card are you using?
05-18-2016, 09:08 AM   #9

hey guys, I did a test with a few card here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321296-write-speed-sd-card-test.html .... Is it just for RAW in FF, with all turned off (correction), I didn't get more then 17 frames for all cards, then the camera slow down. I think there is a problem with writing speed for the camera,, they should fix it in next fw. there is no sense why use fast card because the camera can't use it.

Last edited by 88lukas88; 05-18-2016 at 02:06 PM.
05-18-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 88lukas88 Quote
I didn't get more then 17 frames for all cards, then the camera slow down.
Only 17 frames ?
05-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Only 17 frames ?
yes, but this is in spec, so is it ok, the problem is .... writing speed from buffer to card, I think....I used new samsung pro+ 64gb, read 95Mb/s, write 90MB/s and the time was almost same with my old card with writing speed below 40Mb/s ... I expected faster speed, about 50% or something ...
05-18-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Update... on my Extreme Pro 128GB card UHS1 I(3oo shots left) get 11 R+J with all turned off (highlight,shadow correct) & 28 shots in crop mode .... how did you get 4o in crop mode? what card are you using?
I got the same result (40 raw+ frames) with both the sandisk extreme pro 64gb and extreme plus.

However, note that the number of frames you get in practice really depends on the detail in the scene. Your scene may have been much busier than mine, for example.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-18-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I got the same result (40 raw+ frames) with both the sandisk extreme pro 64gb and extreme plus.

However, note that the number of frames you get in practice really depends on the detail in the scene. Your scene may have been much busier than mine, for example.
aha didn't know that..this last time was rabbits in a field..thought with BIF it seemed faster..maybe a FW update can speed it up a bit
05-18-2016, 07:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just looking at a K1 test. They got 74 JPEGS, 16 or 17 RAW, and a painfully slow buffer clear time of 48 seconds. The files are 50% larger than those in a K3.
05-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

aha didn't know that..this last time was rabbits in a field..thought with BIF it seemed faster..maybe a FW update can speed it up a bit
A HW update would probably be needed

Based on the looks of things, parts of the K-1 are at least as old as the K-5- while others are the newest out there.

Adam