Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 03:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K1 interface, how is it meant to be used?

Hi,
when I'm trying to use the K1 in the same way as the K3, the K1 is less straightforward, it feels less convenient. In particular, I was frequently using the rear lcd to navigate accross the INFO menu and used the 4 ways controller most often by changing it from drive mode (WB etc...) to AF selection back and forth. Now, to switch the 4 way control from AF to drive mode, is a tiny button. So, I guess Ricoh had in mind some specific ways to use the camera, different from K3/K5, but unfortunately I don't find such "ways" to use the K1 in the manual. I'm currently trying to figure out what was the intention of K1 designers when the designed the user interface and smart dial thing, I do have some hints, but still puzzled, so I'd like other K1 owners to share their thoughts.

Thanks for your inputs.

05-19-2016, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi,
when I'm trying to use the K1 in the same way as the K3, the K1 is less straightforward, it feels less convenient. In particular, I was frequently using the rear lcd to navigate accross the INFO menu and used the 4 ways controller most often by changing it from drive mode (WB etc...) to AF selection back and forth. Now, to switch the 4 way control from AF to drive mode, is a tiny button. So, I guess Ricoh had in mind some specific ways to use the camera, different from K3/K5, but unfortunately I don't find such "ways" to use the K1 in the manual. I'm currently trying to figure out what was the intention of K1 designers when the designed the user interface and smart dial thing, I do have some hints, but still puzzled, so I'd like other K1 owners to share their thoughts..
This should help you understand why it is like it is:

05 User Interface

Whether it helps you use it is a different matter!

Sometimes I think the K-1 is a bit like (say) Photoshop. The basics are supplied by Ricoh/Adobe, but the real useful stuff, explanations, hints and tips, tutorials, etc, come from users and forums like this! (Perhaps we need the equivalent of Scott Kelby to write a book about the K-1!)
05-19-2016, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Unregistered User

Hi,
when I'm trying to use the K1 in the same way as the K3, the K1 is less straightforward, it feels less convenient. In particular, I was frequently using the rear lcd to navigate accross the INFO menu and used the 4 ways controller most often by changing it from drive mode (WB etc...) to AF selection back and forth. Now, to switch the 4 way control from AF to drive mode, is a tiny button. So, I guess Ricoh had in mind some specific ways to use the camera, different from K3/K5, but unfortunately I don't find such "ways" to use the K1 in the manual. I'm currently trying to figure out what was the intention of K1 designers when the designed the user interface and smart dial thing, I do have some hints, but still puzzled, so I'd like other K1 owners to share their thoughts.

Thanks for your inputs.
The tiny button is the same on the K-1 as on the K-3, only in a different place. What you can do on the K-1 that was not possible on the K-3 is that you can set priority on the little button. Option C-20
05-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #4

On the K10D to access drive mode I have to press the FN button. This brings up a 4-controller menu on the LCD - left for WB, up for shooting modes (drive, self-timer etc), right - ISO, down - flash modes. These are now icons on the 4-way controller on later bodies and may sport two FN buttons. In many ways the K-1 interface is closer to the 645z than the K-3.

There is always a learning curve on the controls with Pentax cameras. The Camera Store's recent field test video on the K-1 touches on that. Coming from the K10D or the 645z it sounds like there may be less of a learning curve in some areas than say coming from the K5 or K3. Another consideration (also touched on in the video) is that there are numerous settings so sometimes it is possible to set things to the way you like or are used to.

After a bit of learning the interface becomes second nature.

05-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
This should help you understand why it is like it is: 05 User Interface Whether it helps you use it is a different matter!
Thanks Barry. Yes, it tells the story on how it was decided to add the top dial and tilt display.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
The tiny button is the same on the K-1 as on the K-3, only in a different place. What you can do on the K-1 that was not possible on the K-3 is that you can set priority on the little button. Option C-20
Thanks; I also noticed the C-20 menu option and did not really figured out the point of it. But now, that would indicate that the AF selection is always on, while setting the drive mode and wb are options seldom used. So one way to use the camera would be to have AF selection always "On" and change the drive mode (single or burst) with the top dial, and only shot RAW (so that wb can be changed in post)?
05-19-2016, 04:40 AM   #6
Unregistered User

Thanks Barry. Yes, it tells the story on how it was decided to add the top dial and tilt display.

Thanks; I also noticed the C-20 menu option and did not really figured out the point of it. But now, that would indicate that the AF selection is always on, while setting the drive mode and wb are options seldom used. So one way to use the camera would be to have AF selection always "On" and change the drive mode (single or burst) with the top dial, and only shot RAW (so that wb can be changed in post)?
I have the C-20 set to default so if I want to change AF points I have to press the little button. If not the camera acts as the K-3. I think I am not understanding your question...

To me the interface feels the same as the K-3 with some additions that does not interfere with how I am used to do things. The small button has moved and also the play button but their function is the same.
05-19-2016, 04:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If not the camera acts as the K-3. I think I am not understanding your question...
I hold the K1 with my right hand, and I press the 4 ways button and little button with the thumb of my right hand. I'm trying to avoid using the little button since my finger hits the the top of 4 way controller when I press the little button with my thumb. I can press the little button without hitting the 4 way controller if I don't use my thumb but a smaller finger from the left hand, or if I remove my right hand from the grip and use a smaller finger to press the little button. I have no problems with the K3 since the little button was away from the 4 ways controller. In order to avoid pressing the little button and the top 4 ways controller at the same time, I am trying to change AF mode and drive modes in a different way.

In fact, I found a solution to prevent using the "little button": Go to single point AF (AF selection not available then) and then use the 4 ways controller to change drive mode or white balance. I'm doing some progress.... :-)

05-19-2016, 06:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I also noticed the C-20 menu option and did not really figured out the point of it. But now, that would indicate that the AF selection is always on, while setting the drive mode and wb are options seldom used. So one way to use the camera would be to have AF selection always "On" and change the drive mode (single or burst) with the top dial, and only shot RAW (so that wb can be changed in post)?
I have the C-20 set to default so if I want to change AF points I have to press the little button. If not the camera acts as the K-3. I think I am not understanding your question...

To me the interface feels the same as the K-3 with some additions that does not interfere with how I am used to do things. The small button has moved and also the play button but their function is the same.
I'm now confused!

What I really want is to make it totally impossible on my K-1 ever to change the selected AF point or to move the AF area. I want everything always to remain centralised - that is how I shoot.

But my camera keeps ending up in a mode where the 4-way controller changes the position of the selected AF point. I want to avoid that possibility.

I can't work out whether C-20 achieves what I want? I simply don't understand what the words in the menu are trying to tell me.

Help?!
05-19-2016, 06:06 AM   #9
Unregistered User

I hold the K1 with my right hand, and I press the 4 ways button and little button with the thumb of my right hand. I'm trying to avoid using the little button since my finger hits the the top of 4 way controller when I press the little button with my thumb. I can press the little button without hitting the 4 way controller if I don't use my thumb but a smaller finger from the left hand, or if I remove my right hand from the grip and use a smaller finger to press the little button. I have no problems with the K3 since the little button was away from the 4 ways controller. In order to avoid pressing the little button and the top 4 ways controller at the same time, I am trying to change AF mode and drive modes in a different way.

In fact, I found a solution to prevent using the "little button": Go to single point AF (AF selection not available then) and then use the 4 ways controller to change drive mode or white balance. I'm doing some progress.... :-)
Ok, now I understand the problem. That is quite unfortunate. An extra setting for disabling buttons would be useful.
05-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
I'm now confused! What I really want is to make it totally impossible on my K-1 ever to change the selected AF point or to move the AF area. I want everything always to remain centralised - that is how I shoot. But my camera keeps ending up in a mode where the 4-way controller changes the position of the selected AF point. I want to avoid that possibility. I can't work out whether C-20 achieves what I want? I simply don't understand what the words in the menu are trying to tell me. Help?!
Ah ah... that was exactly my problem!!!

1) AF selection: it looks like changing AF takes precedence over changing drive mode or white balance, and in some ways that can make sense. If you shoot in AFC for tacking moving subjects, you may have your WB fixed (for instance daylight), and change the drive mode directly with the top dial and change AF directly with the 4 ways buttons. That would be the use case for wildlife photo tracking for instance. ... I found a direct way to program the K1 for AFC tracking: I saved TAV 1/500th f8 + AFC multipoint modes in each of the USER1, USER2, USER3, USER4, USER5 modes, so that the AFC modes are changed which each USER mode, but the 4 ways buttons remain fixed to change the WB and drive mode. You can even use USER1,2,3,4,5 in combination with the top right dial.

You can also go back to single point AF in which case the 4 button controller goes back to WB and drive mode settings.

2) Manual mode: if you want to use the camera full manual: left dial set to M, top right dial set to ISO => basically, you can change aperture, shutter speed and iso with 3 wheels (like full manual film camera) and see the 3 settings in the small top lcd display.

So, yeah, every user has to figure how to use this thing.

Ok, now I understand the problem. That is quite unfortunate. An extra setting for disabling buttons would be useful.
I found a way around (read above). What I thought could be done (for people having a big thumb) is to set the "OK" button to confirm the AF selection mode (going back to WB+drive mode selection).