Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom Tethering with K-1

Just tried tethering with the new Lightroom plug in and it works beautifully. Make sure to set your USB Connection to PTP in the Tools Menu 2.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
05-19-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it allow camera controls like bulb or the tethering behaves more of a dedicated display/storage device?
05-19-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It will allow you to tether in any mode to include bulb from the camera. It also stores on the SD card as well as the computer like the Canon tehering vs the Nikon that only allow the image to be captured on the computer.

---------- Post added 05-19-2016 at 11:12 AM ----------

Also the camera can be focused and triggered in Lightroom.
05-19-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Thank you. I will have to test this when I'm at home to understand the level of camera controls available in the application.

05-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
It will allow you to tether in any mode to include bulb from the camera. It also stores on the SD card as well as the computer like the Canon tehering vs the Nikon that only allow the image to be captured on the computer.

---------- Post added 05-19-2016 at 11:12 AM ----------

Also the camera can be focused and triggered in Lightroom.
So, should I take this to mean that, as with Lightroom tethering for other brands, actual camera control is fairly limited? Pentax Image Transmitter 2 with download to a LR monitored directory might be a more flexible solution assuming one has the $200 extra for the software and that it actually works

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-19-2016 at 10:20 AM.
05-19-2016, 05:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
So, should I take this to mean that, as with Lightroom tethering for other brands, actual camera control is fairly limited? Pentax Image Transmitter 2 with download to a LR monitored directory might be a more flexible solution assuming one has the $200 extra for the software and that it actually works

Steve
Your correct. The control is on the camera with the exception of focusing and shutter release which can be accomplished in Lightroom.
05-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Just got the plugin installed and wanted to report it works! Thanks Ricoh!

Nothing fancy, from the camera shoot as always and the image shows up in Lightroom. You have to start a "studio session" from Lightroom first. You can select what import presets to use, just like a regular 'import'. You have the ability to select a folder name and location, a renaming template, add to a collection if desired, assign a metadata preset, a develop preset and keywords. Seems like all you need for a studio session.

The tethering bar shows a display of the shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and white balance setting. Seems responsive, a change on the camera is reflected on the computer almost instantly. These items are all read only, they cannot be changed at the computer.

There is an option to select the camera, so I wonder what happens if you plug in multiple cameras? I've only the K-1 so no way to test.

From the computer you have the ability to press a 'shutter' button and take a picture. One annoyance here is that the camera auto-focuses before shooting. Fine if you want that but I cannot see an option to turn it off. Shooting product I might have the camera all set up the way I want and just be adjusting lighting, so having it refocus at every shot is not a good thing. Putting the camera in MF after it is set fixes that as a work around. I would have preferred a separate focus and shutter button, but that's just me.

Anyway, it works and I see no issues. We asked for this and they delivered, at no cost. So a big thank you to Ricoh for listening and delivering.
05-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Fine if you want that but I cannot see an option to turn it off.
Turn it off at the camera?

Steve

05-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Turn it off at the camera?
Yep. That's what I'm doing. Still would like a separate 'focus' button, but I use back button focus so I'm used to that, not everyone will see this as a problem. And as you say, just flick the switch to MF after you have it set. All in all, I'm very happy with this.
05-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

What about setting C-2-10?

05-23-2016, 04:33 AM   #11

Thank you Darryl!
Is this by USB cable only or does it also work via WiFi?
How long does it take from shutter release to the image appearing in LR?
06-23-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just tried it today with the K-1, should be really useful at work for portraits/studio bits that I do, although might be good for home when I'm doing Macro shots.

Works well, limited functionality but as above, you can AF and trigger the shutter from the PC.
07-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Any way to use wi-fi for tethering while using lightroom cc?
07-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
Any way to use wi-fi for tethering while using lightroom cc?
No, you tether with a USB cable.
07-29-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
Site Supporter

It is slow........but I'm sure probably faster than wi Fi.