Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K-1 Shutter Button

My K-3 has a very digital shutter button, giving a click when I press it all the way down as opposed to just auto-focusing.

My K-1 doesn't really have that, giving me little to no feedback when the auto-focus ends and the shutter press begins. Kinda mushy button.

Doesn't bother me too much and I already got used to it, but wanted to know if this was normal.

Thanks!

05-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Had not noticed, but I'll take my cameras to a quiet place (to be sure no one bothers them) and listen to what they have to say.
05-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I use back button AF, so I never noticed. The shutter button seems crisp and clean to me.
05-19-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Bit mushy, yes. I like to have a bit of feedback on the shutter button. Hardly a deal breaker though.

05-19-2016, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Had not noticed, but I'll take my cameras to a quiet place (to be sure no one bothers them) and listen to what they have to say.
It would also be something you could feel. Even in total silence I can't currently tell at what point the button takes a picture.

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Bit mushy, yes. I like to have a bit of feedback on the shutter button. Hardly a deal breaker though.
Can you actually tell when you take a picture though? Sometimes for me I just want to Focus and I accidentally take a picture, something that never happened on the K-3
05-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

One of the blog reviews mentioned the same thing.
05-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightofhonor Quote
It would also be something you could feel. Even in total silence I can't currently tell at what point the button takes a picture.

Can you actually tell when you take a picture though? Sometimes for me I just want to Focus and I accidentally take a picture, something that never happened on the K-3
Only from the mirror activating. It's not ideal.
05-19-2016, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Only from the mirror activating. It's not ideal.
Ok, I meant from you feeling the button click so I guess it's the same for me. Not the biggest deal, but I thought it was a downside.

05-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightofhonor Quote
Ok, I meant from you feeling the button click so I guess it's the same for me. Not the biggest deal, but I thought it was a downside.
Aye!

05-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #10

For High Speed mode, I've noticed it is very difficult for me to fire off a single shot when needed. I invariably shoot two frames. Don't have that with the K3 or K5IIs. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's annoying to be sure.
05-19-2016, 12:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
For High Speed mode, I've noticed it is very difficult for me to fire off a single shot when needed. I invariably shoot two frames. Don't have that with the K3 or K5IIs. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's annoying to be sure.
That I have also noticed.
05-19-2016, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Lens Buying Addict

There is a definite 'step' but it is more subtle. It took me a couple hundred clicks to adjust. Some speculate on other threads Pentax responded to criticism of the K-3 button, which requires a vibration-inducing 'punch'. K-1 is intentionally a gentle squeeze, like a sharpshooters' rifle trigger.

Last edited by monochrome; 05-19-2016 at 12:53 PM.
05-19-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter

The K1 definitely has a mushy shutter button. I use back button focusing so it doesn't interupt my shooting, but if you do use the half shutter focusing it will cause some issues. It just seems vague as to how hard you have to push for focusing and how hard you need to push to fire.
05-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I agree with monochrome. My first thoughts were that the shutter felt more "tuned" like a custom trigger job on a firearm. I have not found that I accidentally take multiple shots if I only want one in burst mode. This, however did happen quite often with the K5, K5II, and K3, but even then, I really didn't find this anything more than a minor annoyance.

I guess I can understand that some might consider this a detraction, but it's certainly something that is easy enough to get used to. It's just another "cup half full/half empty" esoteric point for people to nitpick about.

Scott
05-19-2016, 04:13 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-1 is intentionally a gentle squeeze,
Agreed.

I think it is part of the camera designers effort to [infinitesimally] reduce body vibration by allowing/encouraging softer shutter button presses.

After all, they must have had warehouses full of K-3II, KS-2 etc shutter buttons that they could have put to use in the K-1 at little cost. So not using that 'old' shutter button probably reflects some engineering decision about how a 'mushier' shutter button would help improve the camera.