Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 07:00 AM   #1

Lock Button!

One gripe of mine with earlier models was that it was so easy to accidentally "roll" the shutter speed dial, especially if you use a strap like the Black Rapid which when at rest has the camera near your hip.

At events (or hiking) this was a PITA. You might, say, be in M with a flash, 1/180s and F5, drop that camera down and bring your other up with a different lens. Walk around a bit and when you pick the other up again the shutter has rolled up to 1/8000 and you wouldn't notice until it was too late. Not cool at a wedding!

The K-1 now has a little lock button left of the lens above the RAW/FX1 button which blocks changes to shutter, aperture and ISO. I discovered this totally by accident while out shooting osprey last week. Very exciting.

05-20-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gryhnd Quote
The K-1 now has a little lock button left of the lens above the RAW/FX1 button which blocks changes to shutter, aperture and ISO. I discovered this totally by accident while out shooting osprey last week. Very exciting.
Thanks for pointing that out!
05-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #3
Forum Member

The instruction book is not clear on the lock button use, It states rolling the rear comand wheel will release the lock, this is not so, to lock and unlock you have to press the lock button and move the wheel at the same time, a padlock symbol appears in the viewfinder when lock is on or off, but more helpfull is you can sellect through the menu what set of buttons you whish to lock, you have a choice of two groups, and can sellect either.
05-20-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish you could disable the lock button, or even better customise it to another function.

05-20-2016, 12:24 PM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
I wish you could disable the lock button,
Isn't it effectively disabled simply by not using it?
05-20-2016, 12:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Isn't it effectively disabled simply by not using it?
When not using the grip, holding the camera in portrait orientation, I keep accidentally activating it.
05-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

When not using the grip, holding the camera in portrait orientation, I keep accidentally activating it.
I can see where that would be rather annoying.

05-20-2016, 12:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can see where that would be rather annoying.
Be handy if this was addressed in a firmware update.
05-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #9

Original Poster
How can that happen? You have to press and hold the lock button (at which point the icon shows up on the screen), and then use the wheel to turn it on. Ditto to turn it off. That's the default I assume as I have not changed (nor looked for) anything regarding lock button options.

I've not had it once turn on by accident even with the grip. With the grip and portrait orientation, the lock button points down, so right hand is on grip and left on lens. Curious how you're managing to palm it.
05-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How can that happen? You have to press and hold the lock button (at which point the icon shows up on the screen), and then use the wheel to turn it on. Ditto to turn it off. That's the default I assume as I have not changed (nor looked for) anything regarding lock button options.

I've not had it once turn on by accident even with the grip. With the grip and portrait orientation, the lock button points down, so right hand is on grip and left on lens. Curious how you're managing to palm it.
Well, this is good news !
I thought my lock button was broken
I had been pressing it and expecting it to behave like a toggle
I got no locking action, scratched head, and moved on
I don't really expect to use that button but it is nice to know how it works...
I am not sure what I would assign to it if it were customizable...
05-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've found the most comfortable way of holding the camera in portrait is to rest the index finger of my left hand on the flat bit of the side of the camera where the lock button is.