Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Unregistered User

New selection wheel

I just realized that if the mode dial is set to nothing, the dot, it works as zoom.

Just wanted to tell you that...

05-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it disable the normal e-dial for instant review zooming while in Av mode?

That would be a godsend...I'll take a look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Unregistered User

Hm... It does only zoom when in Live View, Review or Movie mode. Not when in play back.
05-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not picturing this, since I don't have the K-1. If the mode dial (top left?) is set to dot, the what "works as zoom"?

05-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Not picturing this, since I don't have the K-1. If the mode dial (top left?) is set to dot, the what "works as zoom"?
When it is set do nothing
05-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is: What becomes a zoom? How is the taken image enlarged?
05-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
The question is: What becomes a zoom? How is the taken image enlarged?
The same way you normally zoom but with another wheel...

05-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I just realized that if the mode dial is set to nothing, the dot, it works as zoom.
Speaking of zoom... another handy feature is that in image playback, you can use the ISO and EV compensation buttons on top of the camera to zoom in and out of an image. This handily supplements use of the rear e-dial for image zooming in playback. The K-3 didn't do this.

I also use the Quick Zoom feature (Playback menu 4) and have it set to 4x, so as soon as I turn the the rear e-dial, or hit the ISO button in image playback mode, image playback zooms to 4x. Usually saves a few clicks. Been using this feature since K-x.
05-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Speaking of zoom... another handy feature is that in image playback, you can use the ISO and EV compensation buttons on top of the camera to zoom in and out of an image. This handily supplements use of the rear e-dial for image zooming in playback. The K-3 didn't do this.

I also use the Quick Zoom feature (Playback menu 4) and have it set to 4x, so as soon as I turn the the rear e-dial, or hit the ISO button in image playback mode, image playback zooms to 4x. Usually saves a few clicks. Been using this feature since K-x.
The ISO and +/- buttons work on the K-3 aswell after turning the rear e-dial but in the way that they never leave the "zoom mode" when going in and out of zoom range. I like the K-3 approach better. So I would like to have the K-3 functionality plus pressing ISO to start the zoom.
05-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Please clarify! Are you talking about the new Function dial and Setting dial?

I have in front of me a K-1, with the Function dial set to ".". I press the "Playback" button, and I can then use the Rear e-dial to zoom.

When I turn the Setting dial, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
05-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
What am I doing wrong?
It only works on the 'instant review' (aka 'auto chimp') image that flashes up briefly after you have taken the shot (if you have that option set). Not in normal playback.
05-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It only works on the 'instant review' (aka 'auto chimp') image that flashes up briefly after you have taken the shot (if you have that option set). Not in normal playback.
Thanks! (I don't use that).

I wonder why? It will be interesting to see if they add extra uses for the "." position by firmware upgrades.
05-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Please clarify! Are you talking about the new Function dial and Setting dial?

I have in front of me a K-1, with the Function dial set to ".". I press the "Playback" button, and I can then use the Rear e-dial to zoom.

When I turn the Setting dial, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, this clarifies it (must have been an ESL issue).