Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,330
New selection wheel

I just realized that if the mode dial is set to nothing, the dot, it works as zoom.

Just wanted to tell you that...

05-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,283
Does it disable the normal e-dial for instant review zooming while in Av mode?

That would be a godsend...I'll take a look.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,330
Original Poster
Hm... It does only zoom when in Live View, Review or Movie mode. Not when in play back.
05-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nakedgun's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southwest
Posts: 577
Not picturing this, since I don't have the K-1. If the mode dial (top left?) is set to dot, the what "works as zoom"?

05-20-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,330
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
Not picturing this, since I don't have the K-1. If the mode dial (top left?) is set to dot, the what "works as zoom"?
When it is set do nothing
05-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nakedgun's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southwest
Posts: 577
The question is: What becomes a zoom? How is the taken image enlarged?
05-20-2016, 04:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,330
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nakedgun Quote
The question is: What becomes a zoom? How is the taken image enlarged?
The same way you normally zoom but with another wheel...
05-20-2016, 04:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I just realized that if the mode dial is set to nothing, the dot, it works as zoom.
Speaking of zoom... another handy feature is that in image playback, you can use the ISO and EV compensation buttons on top of the camera to zoom in and out of an image. This handily supplements use of the rear e-dial for image zooming in playback. The K-3 didn't do this.

I also use the Quick Zoom feature (Playback menu 4) and have it set to 4x, so as soon as I turn the the rear e-dial, or hit the ISO button in image playback mode, image playback zooms to 4x. Usually saves a few clicks. Been using this feature since K-x.

05-20-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,330
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Speaking of zoom... another handy feature is that in image playback, you can use the ISO and EV compensation buttons on top of the camera to zoom in and out of an image. This handily supplements use of the rear e-dial for image zooming in playback. The K-3 didn't do this.

I also use the Quick Zoom feature (Playback menu 4) and have it set to 4x, so as soon as I turn the the rear e-dial, or hit the ISO button in image playback mode, image playback zooms to 4x. Usually saves a few clicks. Been using this feature since K-x.
The ISO and +/- buttons work on the K-3 aswell after turning the rear e-dial but in the way that they never leave the "zoom mode" when going in and out of zoom range. I like the K-3 approach better. So I would like to have the K-3 functionality plus pressing ISO to start the zoom.
05-20-2016, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I just realized that if the mode dial is set to nothing, the dot, it works as zoom.
Please clarify! Are you talking about the new Function dial and Setting dial?

I have in front of me a K-1, with the Function dial set to ".". I press the "Playback" button, and I can then use the Rear e-dial to zoom.

When I turn the Setting dial, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
05-20-2016, 07:38 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,855
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
What am I doing wrong?
It only works on the 'instant review' (aka 'auto chimp') image that flashes up briefly after you have taken the shot (if you have that option set). Not in normal playback.
05-20-2016, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Barry Pearson's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Stockport
Posts: 870
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It only works on the 'instant review' (aka 'auto chimp') image that flashes up briefly after you have taken the shot (if you have that option set). Not in normal playback.
Thanks! (I don't use that).

I wonder why? It will be interesting to see if they add extra uses for the "." position by firmware upgrades.
05-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Nakedgun's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southwest
Posts: 577
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Please clarify! Are you talking about the new Function dial and Setting dial?

I have in front of me a K-1, with the Function dial set to ".". I press the "Playback" button, and I can then use the Rear e-dial to zoom.

When I turn the Setting dial, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It only works on the 'instant review' (aka 'auto chimp') image that flashes up briefly after you have taken the shot (if you have that option set). Not in normal playback.


Thanks, this clarifies it (must have been an ESL issue).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Food Tea Selection robjmitchell Post Your Photos! 10 11-04-2014 05:42 AM
New Pentax User - Lens Selection Help Sienna Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 01-10-2014 11:07 AM
K20D aperture wheel feels stiff? The front wheel feels much smoother... Abstract Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 01-09-2011 07:49 AM
New user needs help with affordable lens selection doeknoe1 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 09-05-2010 11:33 AM
Lens selection question from a new user subhrajitb Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 03-23-2009 10:13 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:26 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top