Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nanhi Quote
Thanks for your post Schraubstock Sir. My God! this ancient Pentax TC is simply marvelous. You were justified in applying a bit of de-noising and sharpness as it was amazing you handheld
a 765mm lens at just 1/180 secs. Pretty high ISO too.
Very little distortion and perspective bending too, looking at the brick wall. Amazing shot indeed. Perfect target for lens tests.
Since the SMC Pentax F 1.7x AF Adapter is seen as an "A" type lens by the camera no information about the focal length of the attached lens or the combo is transmitted to the camera.

Regards.
If you want to see another combination, I just posted a series of 4 wildlife photos in the 300+ lens club on page 1480 near the bottom, the last one is cropped the first 4 are uncropped all with little cooking
in photoship. These are all taken within a few seconds of each other. Indeed the first 4 were taken over a period of less than 5 seconds.
The camera was a K-1 and was done at ISO 6400 set hard, which produced an F8 at 1/800. The lens was a Pentax-A (manual focus) 400mm f/2.8 and the TC was Pentax's dedicated long TC, the 2x-L. the one of two
made by pentax that have a protruding element that sticks in the back of the lens. This provided an effective focal length of 800mm. I had calibrated the anti shake for a 1000mm and was using only a monopod
for stablity. I purposely selected the high ISO to cover the sins of shake, motion of the subject, depth of field and a cloudy day. and since I was 1500 miles from home, the fact that there would be no retake.

I manged to get a photo of an eagle landing, preparing to dive for dinner, using his feet to push away the crab's claws, landing the crab on solid ground, and a few minutes later eating the crab.

for most of the rest of the trip I used the weaker 1.4x-L Both of these TC's predate auto focus, but do support the KA mount variant.

P.S. I have a 1.7x adapter as pentax called it that wasa suppose to convert manual focus long glass into auto focus while converting the image as well. If had used it I would never have gotten
this sequence unless I had had the forsite to turn the auto focus off.. I have never had good luck geting it to focus right. but it will take time trying. with 4 pictures in 5 seconds I didn't have time for slow auto focus

Last edited by rvannatta; 06-16-2016 at 11:12 PM.
06-18-2016, 07:18 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
A Banksia spinulosa flower with my newly commissioned HD Pentax 28-105 f3.5-5.6 ED DC WR and Tamron F 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter. This will be a useful combination for 'walk aroiund' by just giving that extra bit of reach that isn't available at 105.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #33

Quick question, can the Tamron 1.4 TC work with Sigma 10-20 on K1 FF mode?
07-19-2016, 05:32 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cenvin Quote
I don't know, but I can give it a go on the weekend.

07-19-2016, 08:13 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So can anybody please make a summary of the available TC´s? In particular I would be interested in a 1.4TC to use with the DA* 300 on the K1, mantaining AF.
07-19-2016, 08:22 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyukyu Quote
In particular I would be interested in a 1.4TC to use with the DA* 300 on the K1, mantaining AF.

I've posted some unedited samples here. AF, imo, the same in that combo as without. IQ is great. Vignetting is kind of annoying to fix it all the time.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/55946-300mm-plus-lens-club...ml#post3686360
07-19-2016, 12:18 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
A test shot from K-1 with Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x TELEPLUS SHQ teleconverter. Full shot is uncropped, and second is 100% crop. Looks good to me.
Same combi I own, too. For calm scenary I got also nice and sharp images, however, the proof for BIF I have to get still. At this moment in my area there's almost no migration yet...I have to be patient to get the right occasions... Thanks for posting anyway...

07-21-2016, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cenvin Quote
Yes, but it vignettes a little, more so at the 10mm end than 20mm. Attached shot of plain surface at 10mm.

---------- Post added 21-07-16 at 20:32 ----------

So can anybody please make a summary of the available TC´s? In particular I would be interested in a 1.4TC to use with the DA* 300 on the K1, mantaining AF.
For the DA*300 and other SDM lenses you need a Pz teleconverter, so:
Tamron-F AF teleconverter 1.4x Pz-AF MC4
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ

Whether this will work with full autofocus on K-1 I cannot check as I, very sadly, dropped my DA*300 a while ago and it is no more. If my memory is correct, on the K-3, the combination would only autofocus in good light, or use Catch-in-Focus.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-21-2016, 04:18 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, but it vignettes a little, more so at the 10mm end than 20mm. Attached shot of plain surface at 10mm.

---------- Post added 21-07-16 at 20:32 ----------

For the DA*300 and other SDM lenses you need a Pz teleconverter, so:
Tamron-F AF teleconverter 1.4x Pz-AF MC4
Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ

Whether this will work with full autofocus on K-1 I cannot check as I, very sadly, dropped my DA*300 a while ago and it is no more. If my memory is correct, on the K-3, the combination would only autofocus in good light, or use Catch-in-Focus.

Thanks! Is there any difference in quality between the 2?
07-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No actual difference between the Kenko and Tamron that I can discern.
07-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whether this will work with full autofocus on K-1 I cannot check as I, very sadly, dropped my DA*300 a while ago and it is no more.
What happened to the lens!!! Awful to hear. I had my k-3 and fa35 fall from a low shelf in a lowepro holster and the fa35 is non functional. I'm sending to DCshooter for a repair estimate.
07-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #42
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
, very sadly, dropped my DA*300 a while ago and it is no more.
Very sorry to hear it Adrian. If it's any help there is a guy named Ben Vang in Dubbo who is a genius at lens repair, at very reasonable prices: Camera Check Point services for photographers
He fixed my lens after I dropped it.

---------- Post added 07-22-16 at 06:52 AM ----------

That's a moot point. It seems that there are two variants of the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ. One variant (the one I have, and Adrian has) appears to be the same as the Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4, with identical real magnification of around 1.4x. The other has a different number of pins. See these:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/275594-how-...eplus-shq.html
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3537477
07-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
there are two variants of the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5x Teleplus SHQ. One variant (the one I have, and Adrian has) appears to be the same as the Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4,
Kenko went crazy for a while producing TC for everyone (like Tamron), and in many varieties. There is also a Kenko P-AF 1.4X TELEPLUS MC4 DG tele-convertor, which is different from the Kenko Pz-AF 1.5X TELEPLUS SHQ (I have both).
07-22-2016, 01:52 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
What happened to the lens!!! Awful to hear. I had my k-3 and fa35 fall from a low shelf in a lowepro holster and the fa35 is non functional. I'm sending to DCshooter for a repair estimate.
I was out in a national park and changing lenses when I dropped it. Unfortunately it fell right on top of a large granite rock and dented the barrel to the point that repair was uneconomical. Fortunately, it was insured and I used the payout as a contribution to purchase of a 150-450. When Pentax brings out a new 300 prime, I will consider replacing it.
07-22-2016, 02:32 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Fortunately, it was insured
As an aside, from all this tele-converter talk, what insurance policy were you using? I have some coverage under home and contents insurance for 'portable contents' that they say will cover camera gear, but have never tested the policy.