Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 05:06 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Buffer clearing was quite slow, taking a glacial 48 seconds to clear a burst of 74 JPEGs, 31 seconds after a max-length burst of RAW files, and 34 seconds after a max-length RAW+JPEG burst, when tested with our 95MB/s SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I card. (Unfortunately, the Pentax K-1 is not UHS-II compliant.)
Oh, I thought you meant something related to AF.

Buffer clearing time has been discussed on other threads along with frame rates with various cards. A couple users are reporting lower than the 17 image buffer on burst. I don't remember the time to clear with production firmware. IIRC, Adam has done work characterizing the behavior with different cards and I expect that it will be covered in the PF detailed review.

Steve

05-24-2016, 05:14 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Buffer clearing time has been discussed on other threads along with frame rates with various cards.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321368-k1-buffer-fills-up-quick-seems.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321296-write-speed-sd-card-test.html

Steve
05-24-2016, 06:11 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I look forward to the PF review - to me it is all related - if I focus on capturing wildlife action shots my experience has been AF tracking, frame rate and buffer throughput control how many good shots I get during a wildlife sequence. If the camera cannot track the sequence I miss shots, if the frames per second is slow I may miss a shot and if the buffer fills and I cannot shoot anymore I miss shots. Moving from the K5 to the K3 improved all three and improved my keeper rate and good shots per outing, but I feel the K3 is still not up to a competitive level. At 4 fps I would expect an extremely high keeper rate and a buffer that doesn't quickly fill. So to hear the buffer throughput is slow is concerning and it is good to hear that the Pentax Forum will look at this. So perhaps from your point of view it is not AF but from my point of view after getting myself in a position to capture an action sequence when I properly focus on the object but get a low yield it is an autofocus issue. The camera is not getting enough good shots - again assuming I did what I could correctly.
05-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect your use case will be demanding for K-1.

05-24-2016, 09:00 PM   #65
ogl
Pentaxian

I think that K-3's replacement with SAFOX 12 would be better in terms of AF than K-1...At least for dense covering of APS-C frame with 33 AF points.
05-25-2016, 12:38 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
I look forward to the PF review - to me it is all related - if I focus on capturing wildlife action shots my experience has been AF tracking, frame rate and buffer throughput control how many good shots I get during a wildlife sequence. If the camera cannot track the sequence I miss shots, if the frames per second is slow I may miss a shot and if the buffer fills and I cannot shoot anymore I miss shots. Moving from the K5 to the K3 improved all three and improved my keeper rate and good shots per outing, but I feel the K3 is still not up to a competitive level. At 4 fps I would expect an extremely high keeper rate and a buffer that doesn't quickly fill. So to hear the buffer throughput is slow is concerning and it is good to hear that the Pentax Forum will look at this. So perhaps from your point of view it is not AF but from my point of view after getting myself in a position to capture an action sequence when I properly focus on the object but get a low yield it is an autofocus issue. The camera is not getting enough good shots - again assuming I did what I could correctly.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I suspect your use case will be demanding for K-1.
Yes. The K-1 isn't the perfect camera for (say) birds in flight. But it isn't hopeless either.

I've just posted here with some links to where I've been recording my experiences elsewhere.

If that sort of photography were my main activity, I wouldn't use a K-1. But for someone like me who wants a good all-round camera that can also be used for "things in flight" as well, albeit with extra effort, it is worth considering.I certainly don't regret buying it, and I'm getting results, some of which are posted where they can be found via the above link.

But - I think there is a learning curve for how to get the best out of it, with the many AF settings, and there isn't yet a consensus. I think Ricoh are not helpful with their operating manual, and I don't know of anywhere to go where it says "for this sort of action photography, these are the settings to use". Some of my posts via the above link are my own attempt to build my own guidelines. I'm reasonably comfortable for airshows and motor sports, but I'm still searching for the best combinations for (say) "medium sized bird in flight".
05-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting all your observations Barry. I find them very helpful and appreciate your effort.
05-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #68
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
Yes. The K-1 isn't the perfect camera for (say) birds in flight. But it isn't hopeless either.

I've just posted here with some links to where I've been recording my experiences elsewhere.

If that sort of photography were my main activity, I wouldn't use a K-1. But for someone like me who wants a good all-round camera that can also be used for "things in flight" as well, albeit with extra effort, it is worth considering.I certainly don't regret buying it, and I'm getting results, some of which are posted where they can be found via the above link.

But - I think there is a learning curve for how to get the best out of it, with the many AF settings, and there isn't yet a consensus. I think Ricoh are not helpful with their operating manual, and I don't know of anywhere to go where it says "for this sort of action photography, these are the settings to use". Some of my posts via the above link are my own attempt to build my own guidelines. I'm reasonably comfortable for airshows and motor sports, but I'm still searching for the best combinations for (say) "medium sized bird in flight".
Barry, heartily agree. I think it's up to us forum denizens to document the right settings (and the limitations) for different situations. I also do photography at horse shows, though this is not my primary use case. The better low light, higher pixel count and overall image q of K1 are highly appealing there. My experience from a weekend at a show is that the K-1 is better than K-3 there, but there seem to be still some significant AF limitations. My keeper rate is better, but I'm definitely losing some shots when the camera doesn't respond quickly enough, and I can't figure out any good reason for this. And I'm not doing tracking or burst shooting. I'm going to have to go through various settings and tests to see. At the moment, low light (or deep shadows) seems to be a factor.