Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is a shame you are having problems there, hopefully you are able to get some good shots, that is a beautiful place.

The only problems I've had with the K-1 auto focus have been with eagles flying directly at me, going side to side it has been a improvement over the K-3.

05-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Absolutely.

If you are telling/allowing the camera to use all 33 AF points, but want to focus on a specific feature at infinity, you need to personally assume some control over the AF.

I prefer to use the A9 cluster in AF-S to tighten the AF coverage, and move the cluster around as needed. Easy and reliable.
I hadn't thought to ask about that since I use center-point only. I just aim at the element I want in focus and recompose as necessary.

Sorta sixties technique but it works for me.
05-21-2016, 10:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I didn't have any problems with any of my lenses. Most of the times I'm using the central af-point or I'm shifting a single point.

When I'm using 9 point AF or more it may really happen if there is something with better contrast as my target within this field, this one will get the focus - and missocussing my picture. I'm using this now only when all of the focus points are on the target.
05-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I hope the OP is trying some of these suggestions. The k-1 has very reliable and accurate autofocus. The only complaint some people have is that it is not as quick in its tracking (in AF-C) as some other brands. With AF-S and especially with spot it is quick and very accurate. There may be some equipment problem but more likely it is something to do with his settings. It is annoying when people complain generally about a device when they have only just started to work with the device and only have tried the one example. It is clear by now from all the reports of users that there is very little wrong with the K-1. It is unfortunate that he has to deal with this on vacation when it will probably be difficult to get help if the problem is a fault with his copy of the K-1.

05-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #20

If you use AFC, camera seek something that moves.Use always AFS if itīs still like rock.My K-1 is away beter than K-3 all my 10 lenses.
05-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok fellows,

I went back to the drawing board and went over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I was using single point Centre AF in selectable mode (movable point). I have now switched to single point spot AF (Centre).

This may or may not be better, I can't tell at this point. The selectable point uses 1 of 33 points, just like spot mode, but in spot mode the AF point square on the viewfinder gets smaller.

I have for the time being unpacked my 645z so things are ok for now as I brought it along for the trip.

I need to do some further testing before I get back to you all. I am seeing some shot to shot inconsistencies in sharpness, but am wondering if this is to do with the sensor stabilizer. Is it effective at higher shutter speeds of say 1/1000 on a 15mm lens, or should it be turned off for that type of use? I don't know.

Thanks for the ideas! I will keep this thread going over the course of my trip and report back. I so very much want to like the K1.

Scott

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 04:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I hope the OP is trying some of these suggestions. The k-1 has very reliable and accurate autofocus. The only complaint some people have is that it is not as quick in its tracking (in AF-C) as some other brands. With AF-S and especially with spot it is quick and very accurate. There may be some equipment problem but more likely it is something to do with his settings. It is annoying when people complain generally about a device when they have only just started to work with the device and only have tried the one example. It is clear by now from all the reports of users that there is very little wrong with the K-1. It is unfortunate that he has to deal with this on vacation when it will probably be difficult to get help if the problem is a fault with his copy of the K-1.
I have the 645z on board so no worries if the K1 is a problem
05-21-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
your not being used to small DSLRs
haha I like how you seized the opportunity to say this..

05-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
haha I like how you seized this opportunity to say this..
Subtle huh?
05-21-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Ok fellows,

I went back to the drawing board and went over everything with a fine tooth comb.

I was using single point Centre AF in selectable mode (movable point). I have now switched to single point spot AF (Centre).

This may or may not be better, I can't tell at this point. The selectable point uses 1 of 33 points, just like spot mode, but in spot mode the AF point square on the viewfinder gets smaller.

I have for the time being unpacked my 645z so things are ok for now as I brought it along for the trip.

I need to do some further testing before I get back to you all. I am seeing some shot to shot inconsistencies in sharpness, but am wondering if this is to do with the sensor stabilizer. Is it effective at higher shutter speeds of say 1/1000 on a 15mm lens, or should it be turned off for that type of use? I don't know.

Thanks for the ideas! I will keep this thread going over the course of my trip and report back. I so very much want to like the K1.

Scott

I've set the FX2 button to SR [On/Off]. I have no scientific proof, just a hunch that it's better to turn it off for higher shutter speeds especially if you're not using long focal lengths. It is utterly fantastic at very low shutter speeds however, like even 1/5th second with an 85mm, something I would have found impossible before.
05-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #25

Did my first atempt at BiF shots today. Using the DA*300.

The difference from the K-5 (classic) is impressive. I used AF.C With Auto 9 setting. It worked really well in my opinion. What i found is that, like With the K-5, SR needs to be turned off.
05-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #26
Veteran Member

but am wondering if this is to do with the sensor stabilizer. Is it effective at higher shutter speeds of say 1/1000 on a 15mm lens, or should it be turned off for that type of use? I don't know.
if you use a tripod you have to desactivate the SR !
05-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd second the notion that the problem is related to focus point selection.

I just shot a pair of poorly-lit graduations with the Tamron 70-300, which has never been a snappy focuser on my other cameras. It was remarkable how much better it was on the K1.

The only issue I had was its propensity to focus on the wrong thing because it has so many focus points and I was letting it do the selection. It was better, though slower, in live view (less likely to focus on a flag instead of a face).

I'm confident none of that would have been a problem had I picked a different focus point preference -- either a single point or a subset of the full group.

Otherwise, the K1 has been a terrific -focusing camera.

-Eric
05-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #28
Veteran Member

The AF also has to deal with field curvature on a lens like the 15-30. Plus at the corners, (as Lenstip observes of the Tamron), things can get pretty soft on FF, meaning contrast gets reduced, and AF accuracy may thus be unreliable if the selected focus point is in a corner area.

It also puzzles me how the massive DOF of the lens on FF could leave you with anything to worry about re getting sharp subjects, particularly eg 15mm at 10m - infinity.
05-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #29
Unregistered User

Ok fellows,

Scott

I never turn the SR off and I do not see any ill effects from using it at higher shutter speeds unless on tripod
05-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I,m getting a deja vu kind of feeling here. I hope it's a false flag though. But when the K-5 was new the AF was considered very good until someone had a problem with focusing in low light. At first it was dismissed as user error or a faulty camera as no one else had this problem. And why would anyone want to focus in the dark anyway?

Some people argued that there where no problem at all, even after Pentax released a firmware fix adressing the problem. It is pretty much the K-5 only weakness.

Let's hope this is a one body only problem.