Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 09:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say that about 90% of the time focus is spot on with FA 43 it sure is little troublesome, but very little. other than that it is great. I think that when they manage to get algorithms right with focus computer, there will be little to desire more. I have had FA 43 for shooting whole month with it and pretty much have found weak spots...but MF for close focus kind a shots is the way to go especially when there is lot of distractions. with that WF, no problem. AF work most of the time just great.

here is couple from me from this month.

FA43.

it sure is quite versatile on K-1.

05-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Somehow I got derailed in this thread looking for a new lens. Let's go back to my original question for the FA43: what is the best way to calibrate this thing?

Some shots from yesterday with it. I shot without flash for once as part of an experiment to see how the camera would do; I love my fill flash but the third girl in the group became suddenly ill this morning so we had to cook up a new idea on the spot since we couldn't continue without her. Anyway, here's one shot, taken at maybe 5 feet away:

Looks great! And here's a 100% of her face:

Marvelous detail! This even rivals the FA77. Seems to verify the lens itself is not defective, decentered, or otherwise busted.

Here's another:

It's hard to tell from this but it looks to have backfocused (focus point is eyes or face or the closest focus point to that), even though the lens is calibrated to correct for that. Here's a 100%:

It's mushy. Focus is clearly off. I was probably about 7 feet away here? Something like that.

I have Lens Align but I can't use it to calibrate the FA43 from 6-7 feet away--target is too small! Any suggestions on what I might use?
Bugger thats annoying, Have you found any difference between the central (f2.8) focal points and the others. Definately not a blur issue like SR not fully fired up? By the way Amazing photostream!
05-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Have you found any difference between the central (f2.8) focal points and the others.
I very rarely get to use the central point but I can go outside and play around. I tried to get a test on a large tree with (I think) centerpoint and it missed entirely!

I just updated the firmware today to v1.10 so we'll see if that does anything.

QuoteQuote:
Definately not a blur issue like SR not fully fired up?
Possible but I'm really slow when it comes to composing so it should be all setup. Plus my shutter speeds are 1/125 or higher, usually 1/200 so I doubt it's camera shake. And I'm only having problems with FA43.

QuoteQuote:
By the way Amazing photostream!
Thank you! Flickr is about 3 months behind Facebook so you're seeing fairly old content. Although right now I'm posting some of my favorite stuff!
05-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
here is couple from me from this month.

FA43.
That second shot is really impressive! Fantastic.