Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 03:45 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own the K1 but have the K3. what I have been disappointed with is the fact that the autofocus has a fraction of a second pause between the focus locking in continuous mode and the firing of the shutter. you cant hear it but when you look at photos of someone walking casually towards you are a bit soft.
has this been addressed with the K1?
It sounds like the K1 is good at everything but not excellent at anything in particular as with most things that try to do it all

Randy

05-28-2016, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
It sounds like the K1 is good at everything but not excellent at anything in particular as with most things that try to do it all
Examples of alternate viewpoints - these from DigiLloyd:

no DSLR or mirrorless camera can approach the quality of SuperRes, and Id bet that it would beat just about all medium format.

Is the Pentax K1 the finest black and white camera on the market (in SuperRes mode)? It seems so.
05-29-2016, 02:05 PM   #33
Site Supporter

I don't own the K1 but have the K3. what I have been disappointed with is the fact that the autofocus has a fraction of a second pause between the focus locking in continuous mode and the firing of the shutter. you cant hear it but when you look at photos of someone walking casually towards you are a bit soft.
has this been addressed with the K1?

Randy
OK, so you have issues with how some Pentax cameras handle motion. What particular reason for saying the K-1 isn't excellent at landscape photography??
05-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Site Supporter

I'm not sure that is accurate. Of course 'excellent' and 'good' are subjective and open to interpretation.

Still I would say the K-1 is 'good' at most things. And 'excellent' at it's stated purpose which is a field camera. Might just be the best landscape DSLR available, medium format excepted. The flippy screen and pixel shift and IBIS would set it above other cameras even with similar sensors. If you are doing product photography it is going to be a real asset in the studio, for some of the same reasons.

But I get your point, no camera is everything to everybody. Which is why good, and excellent are subjective and based on each person's actual needs. I feel like Ricoh checked with me and then punched all the boxes for what I need. Seems like this camera was designed specifically for me. So if your needs are different, well there are other cameras out there. But for landscape, field work, product work, weddings I think RIcoh has a winner. It certainly is not a sports camera if you need high FPS rates, but really is there a 36mp sports camera?

05-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I'm not sure that is accurate. Of course 'excellent' and 'good' are subjective and open to interpretation.

Still I would say the K-1 is 'good' at most things. And 'excellent' at it's stated purpose which is a field camera. Might just be the best landscape DSLR available, medium format excepted. The flippy screen and pixel shift and IBIS would set it above other cameras even with similar sensors. If you are doing product photography it is going to be a real asset in the studio, for some of the same reasons.

But I get your point, no camera is everything to everybody. Which is why good, and excellent are subjective and based on each person's actual needs. I feel like Ricoh checked with me and then punched all the boxes for what I need. Seems like this camera was designed specifically for me. So if your needs are different, well there are other cameras out there. But for landscape, field work, product work, weddings I think RIcoh has a winner. It certainly is not a sports camera if you need high FPS rates, but really is there a 36mp sports camera?