Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 09:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1...where oh where does it fit in ?

The new Pentax K-1 seems to be a tremendous camera, with some outstanding features. Full frame with the Pentax tweaked Sony 36 something sensor. Magnesium alloy body with weather seals aplenty, making for a very rugged camera. A very flexible monitor...some may say the contortionist of current movable monitors. A shutter mechanism that's rated at 200,000 or is it 300,000...I can't remember and I can't keep accurate track of all the features that the K-1 has.

Anyways, I want one, hopefully plan to get one, maybe in 2017. I always like to let any new product get a year under it's production belt. I like to see if there are any bugs to be worked out and figure a year of production, should identify the bugs and allow enough time for the manufacturer to get them bugs fixed.

But I digress, my question is...what does the Pentax K-1 compete with...the Nikon D 810, the Canon 5D3, the Nikon D 750 (don't think so) or some of the lesser Canon/Nikon full framers ?

The problem * with Pentax is that it is difficult to classify...my experience is that they are more feature rich, more ruggedly built, than what might seem their competition.

* No problem for Pentaxians as they generally get more bang for their buck, with their Pentax choice.

Another digression...so back to the original question, where do you see the K-1 fit in, in the full frame wars ? Also why ?

05-22-2016, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It doesn't really fit in... and that is not a problem, but a bonus. It is a D810 5dmkIII competitor at the price of a 6d/d750... that is where it fits in. It just made its own category.
05-22-2016, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It doesn't match 1:1 against anything, and I suspect that is intentional. I've always thought it was a bit silly to try and compare this camera to that camera, that is fine for reviewers who need to put things in buckets. But for real people who actually use a camera better I think to decide what features you need and what price you can pay, then find the best match.
05-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's the product that was made for us Pentaxians. (Ricoh/Pentax stated that somewhere, right?) I also think that it's Ricoh's way of garnering attention to the Pentax brand. They know they had to make something special that will get everyone talking about the brand again and show the world that Pentax cameras offer the best bang for the buck.

05-22-2016, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

It fits in my camera bag. No need to compete for my usage...I can pretty much shoot with my lenses what I have gathered over by the years. So no competition. BUT, I'm on same line with other FF users. and I have 2 cameras in one. it is more useful than one would think. nothing new, but it is brand new, with good specs, GPS SR ect. I'm really happy with it.
05-22-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
where do you see the K-1 fit in, in the full frame wars ? Also why ?
Being a late entry into the FF world, it benefits from more improved sensor technology. Also as it is Pentax tradition, if offers a few features (or a whole bunch of them) that the competition did not think of first. It matches or betters the Nikon 810 by a slight margin except autofocus. It outclasses Canon 5D MarkIII in resolution and a whole bunch of other categories, except video.

When you consider the price (less than a D750), then it becomes a bargain offering. I do not think Pentax is going to catch up to Canon and Nikon in the lens offerings race. The equation for me is whether it offers enough of the general purpose range lenses and enough specialized lenses to allow amateurs and pro alike to produce work that they need. For my type of work Pentax already offers enough lenses so that I do not have to wish for Canon and Nikon lenses. As far as bodies go, how can you go wrong with a $1,800 powerhouse!? And oh how can I forget the mighty 645Z. Pentax rocks... at least for now!!
05-22-2016, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It has more features than any of the competitors and at a lower price. It has better build quality than a D750 or Canon 5DIII. Better DR than anything Canon makes and most of what Nikon makes. I would like to see faster AF and a bigger buffer with faster write speeds, but those are minor issues given the overall package. Really the only area that the camera comes up short in in the HD and 4K video specs.

The colors (accuracy) and tonal gradients you get from the K-1 are some of the best I have seen.

05-22-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
where oh where does it fit in ?
Very nearly into my bag. It fits my needs as a K-mount shooter who frequently uses vintage and M42 lenses...almost. The ideal for me would be a paired down version in a little more svelte package, but I am not ruling out a future purchase of the K-1.

Steve
05-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Everywhere and nowhere.
05-22-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
farmerDavid

In my hand in a not so distant future
David
05-22-2016, 02:12 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
Easy! The K-1 fits exactly midway between the 645Z and the K-3 II. Nothing else really matters.
05-22-2016, 09:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It fits my hand, my lenses and the SD card that transports the stunning images to my computer. Oh and it is never in my camera bag.
05-22-2016, 10:48 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Pentax K-1... where oh where does it fit in ?

Wrong question, where oh where will all the other cameras fit in now
05-23-2016, 03:26 AM   #14
Veteran Member

You have it all back to front, The K1 is the female component of the imaging system! If "FITS ON" a 31/43/77 ltd!
05-23-2016, 03:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote

Pentax K-1... where oh where does it fit in ?

Wrong question, where oh where will all the other cameras fit in now
Very, very well put.