Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Acceptable ISO

So what are we all thinking for a standard acceptable maximum ISO setting for kinda everyday use?

It used to be 400 on my old K20Ds, with the K1... I seem to be getting away with quite daft high settings.

05-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What's everyday use? Are you shooting children or trees?
05-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
So what are we all thinking for a standard acceptable maximum ISO setting for kinda everyday use?

It used to be 400 on my old K20Ds, with the K1... I seem to be getting away with quite daft high settings.
1600 and under is what I'd consider "very clean". 3200 is still great but I wouldn't venture higher unless absolutely necessary. Thanks to SR, though, that's hardly ever needed these days!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2016, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #4
Unregistered User

As always... It depends.

05-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I still see it as all interconnected. Sure I can get high ISO shots now that I never would have considered a few years ago, and this is a handy option to have when circumstances warrant. But for "everyday" use I keep it at around 100-200 unless there's a need to push it higher. After all, how often do I need to use ISO 6400 on a bright sunny day?
05-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I say is up to the minimun quality that i accept for the job, my starndad for family pics the highest ISO was ~6000 for the K30, ~4000 for the K3, ~8000 for the K1, of course if more is needed i go beyond that numbers but that numbers are my high auto-ISO in the semi-auto mode... For product photography ISO100 is the maximun always in any camera.

05-22-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm fascinated to hear this as well. Of course, "acceptable" will be very subjective... 18 months ago I wouldn't have used my K-5 or K-3 above ISO 1600 except in desperation, as I simply hadn't embraced the fact that a certain amount of noise is fine when viewing an image at typical sizes, and even more so with some gentle post-processing. Now I routinely shoot at ISO 6400 and above with my cameras, and - depending on the subject, and the amount of time I'm prepared to put in with Lightroom 6 - I'm very happy with the results. But, I know there are a lot of people here on the forums who wouldn't accept the levels of noise I'm prepared to work with... Anyway, it's the K-1 you're talking about, so I'll shut up now and read with interest the replies you get

05-22-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quartermaster James Quote
Well, I still see it as all interconnected. Sure I can get high ISO shots now that I never would have considered a few years ago, and this is a handy option to have when circumstances warrant. But for "everyday" use I keep it at around 100-200 unless there's a need to push it higher. After all, how often do I need to use ISO 6400 on a bright sunny day?
But what if your day-to-day photography was indoors... in not-so-well-lit environments?
05-22-2016, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
1600 and under is what I'd consider "very clean"
What a bonus for my shutter speeds... now I know why they go up to 1/8000.
05-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clockworkrat Quote
Are you shooting children
I know a few children I'd like to shoot.

I was thinking more about use in "street" work.
05-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
1600 and under is what I'd consider "very clean". 3200 is still great but I wouldn't venture higher unless absolutely necessary. Thanks to SR, though, that's hardly ever needed these days!
That's interesting, Adam, and kind of confirms what I said above in my slightly earlier reply - an acceptable level of noise is a very subjective thing. Out of interest, what's your preferred maximum ISO on the K-3 / K-3II? As I mentioned, I routinely shoot at ISO 6400 and sometimes above, with results the I'm happy with - but that's just me!

EDIT: I should add, I'm talking about shooting RAW and post-processing with LR6...
05-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
on a bright sunny day
We all look forward to those in Scotland, it's sometimes a long time between each occasion.
05-22-2016, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

on a bright sunny day?
What is that exactly? Rumor has it there was one of those here in Oregon. Once. A long time ago.
05-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
As always... It depends.
Yep, definitely.
What is the subject? What kind of PP are you doing? Will you make large prints or post small jpegs online? Who will view the photos?
I guess you can get some general consensus as to which ISO still looks good. That would be around 3200 and below, from the photos I have seen taken with K-1 and similar sensor cameras.
05-22-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
We all look forward to those in Scotland, it's sometimes a long time between each occasion.
Anchorage too mate, Anchorage too.