Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

No "ricoh"

After two weeks enjoying my K1, I just now noticed that nowhere on the camera does "RICOH" appear - just PENTAX - how very curious!

05-24-2016, 06:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only the K-3 had that. They got rid of it on the K-3 II too. Think they realized how stupid it was

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-24-2016, 06:25 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Think they realized how stupid it was
One of the very rare instances where people in corporate marketing prove they have functioning brains.

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-24-2016 at 07:22 PM.
05-24-2016, 06:34 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Considering the wilderness years that pentax went through, and now a few years down the road we've had the K-3, K-3ii, and K-1; I actually wouldn't object to a small ricoh badge on the back. I feel they deserve it!

Just imagine an alternative universe where it says 'Hoya' - and then a 'Ricoh' badge doesn't seem so bad after all!

05-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Considering the wilderness years that pentax went through, and now a few years down the road we've had the K-3, K-3ii, and K-1; I actually wouldn't object to a small ricoh badge on the back. I feel they deserve it!

Just imagine an alternative universe where it says 'Hoya' - and then a 'Ricoh' badge doesn't seem so bad after all!
After all the Hoo Haw, and the thread that never dies, when I actually saw the Ricoh on the back of my K-3 I thought, "Huh. It's so small."
05-24-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PENFRED Quote
After two weeks enjoying my K1, I just now noticed that nowhere on the camera does "RICOH" appear - just PENTAX - how very curious!
Take a close look at the bottom plate.
05-24-2016, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Take a close look at the battery pack.

Attached Images

05-24-2016, 07:23 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Sure, it says Ricoh Imaging Company Ltd. It also says PENTAX K-1.
05-24-2016, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well here is the link with the original complaint about Ricoh's name on the camera body.I remember commenting at the time on it...
QuoteQuote:
You know that this thread and your picture is going to make it back to Toyko - to the person who made the decision, with the caption - "Motorcycle lady does not like Ricoh label" (オートバイの女性はリコーラベルを好きではない).
Later on the next body release everyone noticed that "Ricoh" was gone - and folks commented positively on it at the time. I really doubt that anyone really expected that to happen.

However, in my mind - that one simple act by Ricoh cemented the understanding that Ricoh was in Pentax for the long haul, and just not to strip corporate assets like Hoya did. I think that single small action probably bought more loyalty with the Pentax user community than anything else - with respect to Ricoh's ownership. To me, it signified that Ricoh was listening and actually heard a part of the user base. A small concession that probably no other larger company would not have made.

Then they have followed through with the K3II and now the K1 - showing that Pentax is in safe hands with Ricoh.

I am guessing on this - but Lauren probably is single handily responsible for the purchased of more Pentax bodies than anyone else we have heard of. It looks like she has probably purchased 10+ bodies and what 3 to 4 lenses for each body for the company she works for? She is a one lady wrecking crew.

05-24-2016, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

They could have done it, but as they said in these interview series they really wanted to have a pentax camera. and I like the fact that they used and kept the "pentax" alive...
(btw. still waiting on my grip )
05-24-2016, 11:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Truthfully, I don't mind Ricoh including their brand on the Pentax camera anymore. I wasn't overly fond of it on my K3 but Ricoh is proving to be a good steward for the Pentax brand and the Pentax product line. And if they did include it, it wouldn't bother me the way it originally did.
05-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Seeing Minolta's cameras branded as KonicaMinolta was what told me Minolta was dying and dissuaded me from ever buying one of their cameras again. PentaxRicoh or RicohPentax, or more prominent Ricoh branding, would have had the same effect. They did well to withdraw it, except as obligatory fine print on the base plate.
05-25-2016, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #13

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone complain when it was Asahi Pentax? That was right on the front.
05-25-2016, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #14

*facepalm* Here we go again with the dread Hocir nonsense.

Psst!: It says Ricoh on the box, manual and warranty cards.

You go to www.pentax.com and it says on the bottom of the pages:
RICOH
Imagine Change
© 2016 RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. All Rights Reserved.

Seems like a lot of Pentaxians can't imagine change.
05-25-2016, 02:55 AM - 5 Likes   #15
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Cheese, anyone?