Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2016, 03:21 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
Did anyone complain when it was Asahi Pentax? That was right on the front.
Or with the big AOC logo on the pentaprism housing on the front and on the back (usually on the upper right) "Asahi Opt. Co."

3 out of 4 of my PENTAX cameras say Asahi Opt. Co. on the back.

05-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

How about when it was Honeywell Pentax? I don't mind Ricoh on my Pentax bodies. Ricoh made some very good Slr cameras, two that I can think of that had/have features found and not found in some of the higher priced slr's at the time are the XRP and the Ksp-30 which I still own and use a on occasion. Ricoh taking over Pentax was one of my reasoning on going with Pentax when I was ready to switch systems. I felt they would not abandon the Pentax dslr market in the midst of this mirrorless era and do what they could to improve Pentax for which I feel they are .
05-25-2016, 05:36 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Cheese, anyone?
no thanks...

05-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmar Quote
Did anyone complain when it was Asahi Pentax? That was right on the front.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Or with the big AOC logo on the pentaprism housing on the front and on the back (usually on the upper right) "Asahi Opt. Co."

3 out of 4 of my PENTAX cameras say Asahi Opt. Co. on the back.
You are all mixing apples and pineapples hoping to get a mango. When Asahi was on the camera, Asahi Optical was the name of the company - the original company that manufactured the camera. Asahi then adopted the brand name Pentax for their SLR line of cameras. ... and as a side note, Asahi bought the name "Pentax" from Zeiss.

Later on, Asahi changed the name of the company of their company from Asahi Optical Company to Pentax to align and associate their brand name Pentax with the company that they named Pentax. That is how the camera brand name Pentax and the company Pentax were created.

I just happen to have my old Asahi Spotmatic IIa bought down in the Panama Canal Zone when I was in the Navy in 1970. On the other hand a Honeywell Spotmatic IIa was only available in the US. Honeywell was the distributor of Asahi cameras, and thought that a US company name (that folks recognized) on the camera would be better than Asahi (no one knew what or who Asahi was back in the 70's and before).

05-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Ricoh is a big company and Pentax is iconic photography name .
Ricoh will not gain much attractive if it added it's name to Pentax but Pentax fans will not like this.
As a Pentax fan I accept the ricoh name only at the bottom of the camera.
05-25-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So we're really doing this again?
05-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Seems like a lot of Pentaxians can't imagine change.
I can imagine change, but it needs to be change for a good reason and done in the right way. Konica merged with Minolta, but to put KonicaMinolta on the front of the cameras signalled a major tectonic shift in Minolta's fortunes and not in a good way. I'd been a big Minolta fan for years as a result of VERY good experiences with the Dynax 3xi, but by the time i was ready to go shopping for a high level powerhouse camera, the "Konica Minolta" thing scared me off.

Hoya may have done some very stupid things with/to Pentax, but this was one mistake they did not make - Hoya's name is on the manufacturer's plate on the base only. If I'd seen "Hoya Pentax" on the pentaprism housing when it came time to replace my dead *istDL, I would probably have been over on our sister-ship Nikon Forums right now. Ricoh made a minor mistake putting their name on the back of the K3, but it was still nowhere near as bad as what Konica did and they did the right thing in correcting it. I can live with their name on the boxes, but they've recognised that it's Pentax's name which needs to be on display on the cameras.

If we ever meet aliens and they want to import our cameras, and the Urgiflarbflarb Company is the nearest alien equivalent, then yeah, you can put Urgiflarbflarb Pentax on the pentaprisms of the cameras you ship to their planet and I won't care (and many humans will buy them for uniqueness or show value), but otherwise it needs to stay as just straight Pentax.

05-25-2016, 08:31 AM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I can imagine change, but it needs to be change for a good reason and done in the right way. Konica merged with Minolta, but to put KonicaMinolta on the front of the cameras signalled a major tectonic shift in Minolta's fortunes and not in a good way. I'd been a big Minolta fan for years as a result of VERY good experiences with the Dynax 3xi, but by the time i was ready to go shopping for a high level powerhouse camera, the "Konica Minolta" thing scared me off.
I think being sued for over a hundred million dollars signaled a tectonic shift in Minolta's fortunes, not changing the name on the camera (look at how it worked out for Sony).
05-25-2016, 08:48 AM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You are all mixing apples and pineapples hoping to get a mango.

It could happen.

And it may just result in some very tasty fruit!

05-25-2016, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #25
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

(no one knew what or who Asahi was back in the 70's and before).

Sure they did.

Been around since 1889.
05-25-2016, 09:11 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am guessing on this - but Lauren probably is single handily responsible for the purchased of more Pentax bodies than anyone else we have heard of. It looks like she has probably purchased 10+ bodies and what 3 to 4 lenses for each body for the company she works for? She is a one lady wrecking crew.

I just might be...but alas, I am but a humble Pentaxian...to my core.

05-25-2016, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
I think being sued for over a hundred million dollars signaled a tectonic shift in Minolta's fortunes
The name change was a symptom of the underlying disease.

---------- Post added 25-05-16 at 13:56 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Sure they did.
This is the beer I will drink when I toast the acquisition of the camera of my dreams.
05-25-2016, 09:37 AM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
So we're really doing this again?
Seems so. Time to ignore the thread.

Ricoh should just put a piece of black tape on the back and under it print "What did you expect to find here?"
05-25-2016, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I don't mind the 'Ricoh' on my K3, after all I did name my dog 'Ricoh'.
05-25-2016, 09:46 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
This is the beer I will drink when I toast the acquisition of the camera of my dreams.

I'll drink to that.

Cheers!