Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 05:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,288
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I find the new place much smarter. One hand review, no need to use the left anymore. I have it in my muscle memory already so when taking the K-3 I start review instead of Live View and Live View I can't find
Exactly. That is what I was trying to say, not using the left hand is the key. For deliberate actions that's fine but for things that should be 'muscle memory' the placement is much better.

And yeah, switching back to the k-3 is harder than I thought it would be.

05-28-2016, 06:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The only thing bothering me at the moment is the new position of the playback button. I find myself opening Live View by mistake CONSTANTLY.
Here too. New locationmakes sense, but after so many years....
05-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: L.A. County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 300
I'll list my cons first:

- "Softness" of the shutter button.
- 36 MP. I'd rather have 24 just because I'm gonna have to buy another HD with the amount of shooting I do. Also, I have yet to print anything large nor do I need large files for what I do.

Everything else is love. Some of my first shots were with the FA* 85/1.4, and hoh boy, it's nice to see the full potential of that lens. (Although I could do without all the color fringing. =P)
05-28-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 896
Love the image IQ, useable 3200-6400 ISO,larger grip,menu lock!! as I always change WB with my palm if not on,tilt screen..not used PS /astro tracer much yet
dislike Buffer bugs!! sometimes I get 12 FF Raw+Jpeg sometimes only 6!! see my other thread..hope a FW can fix it or back to Ricoh also slow processor in general..

05-28-2016, 08:22 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 13
I'm very much enjoying almost everything about the camera; it has exceeded my expectations. One little surprise that I like is the Lock button; sometimes I would unknowingly dial the aperture or shutter speed up or down while using manual flash, but this feature protects against that. Minor inconveniences include the playback button's position (like others, I'm inclined to go for LV, and really have to think where the button is when I have one of the older cameras in hand) and the omission of Dust Alert.
05-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 651
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The only thing bothering me at the moment is the new position of the playback button. I find myself opening Live View by mistake CONSTANTLY.

Too many likes to list, so I'll list the most pertinent: the return of indoor photography! Wider FOV + better low light sensitivity + improved low light AF = lots of great indoor pics! This is a godsend for those of us with little kids
+1 to everything said here
05-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Mikesul's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,479
I like the placement of the playback button. It allows one handed review. But I also tend to focus on what I like in a new camera more than on what I do not like unless there is deal killer in the mix. No deal killer in the k-1. The K-1 is everything I have wanted in a DSLR for the last 10 years. Just love it!
05-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Tan68's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 396
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
...
Green button becomes AF button;
...
I find the back button AF too recessed and tricky to reach. It's much better on the battery grip. In future models, perhaps having the AF back button as a pressure sensor in the rear thumb rest might work.
I have also thought I would like the Green Button to be AF Button. I can roll my thumb and hit the GB. The current location of the AF button is no more convenient than on my K-5. For the K-5, I had to move my thumb but it was an easier move than reaching for the AF button on K-1. As you note, it is angled away from my thumb and this makes the reach further.

I wasn't sure I would use the third wheel. I have to shift my grip to reach it so I change ISO using the ISO button. [i can reach the 3rd wheel with my thumb if i grip the camera differently.. it isn't a bad grip but it is different from the way i am accustomed to hold the camera...] However, with the camera on a tripod, I reached for that third wheel without even thinking about it.. I think I will use it some. I do intend to use the crop mode to get an idea how I should compose an image where I think I want more 'reach'. I will take the image full frame but will dial on crop mode to see how much I can crop and still have 15 MP. [the wheel should make this easy]

I was ambivalent about complaints the EV meter was gone from the top LCD. I didn't recall using it much. Today, I looked for it.. so, I must have used it without thinking much about it. I will miss that thing.

05-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #24
Pentaxian
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
I wasn't sure I would use the third wheel. I have to shift my grip to reach it so I change ISO using the ISO button. [i can reach the 3rd wheel with my thumb if i grip the camera differently.. it isn't a bad grip but it is different from the way i am accustomed to hold the camera...] However, with the camera on a tripod, I reached for that third wheel without even thinking about it.. I think I will use it some. I do intend to use the crop mode to get an idea how I should compose an image where I think I want more 'reach'. I will take the image full frame but will dial on crop mode to see how much I can crop and still have 15 MP. [the wheel should make this easy]
I like the wheel but still am getting used to it. I've finally reached the point where I'm not holding the ISO button and using another wheel to scroll, so that's good.

This said, the things on the wheel feel like a bit of an afterthought. It's like someone said "Dude, we should have a wheel!" and had no idea what to put there, so someone from marketing just threw a few things on there.

Really or moderately useful:
+++ ISO
+++ EV compensation
+ WiFi

Things I don't use but see others liking:
++ Bracketing
++ Continuous High/Low
+ HDR

Why are these things on the wheel:
- Grid
- Crop
- Shake Reduction

I can't see anyone needing to change those last three on the fly very often. Like the 'Crop'...you put the lens on and then set the crop mode and then don't change it unless you change lenses. Shake reduction is the same. The times you need to toggle it on/off are quite rare.

Things I would have liked on the wheel:
++ Metering mode
+ Autofocus mode, instead of having to hold the side button and scroll with a wheel
+ Outdoor view for LCD (4-way is ok but this is used often enough for me that the wheel would be a lot faster since it doesn't remember the setting once you exit playback mode)
05-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I like the wheel but still am getting used to it. I've finally reached the point where I'm not holding the ISO button and using another wheel to scroll, so that's good.

This said, the things on the wheel feel like a bit of an afterthought. It's like someone said "Dude, we should have a wheel!" and had no idea what to put there, so someone from marketing just threw a few things on there.

Really or moderately useful:
+++ ISO
+++ EV compensation
+ WiFi

Things I don't use but see others liking:
++ Bracketing
++ Continuous High/Low
+ HDR

Why are these things on the wheel:
- Grid
- Crop
- Shake Reduction

I can't see anyone needing to change those last three on the fly very often. Like the 'Crop'...you put the lens on and then set the crop mode and then don't change it unless you change lenses. Shake reduction is the same. The times you need to toggle it on/off are quite rare.

Things I would have liked on the wheel:
++ Metering mode
+ Autofocus mode, instead of having to hold the side button and scroll with a wheel
+ Outdoor view for LCD (4-way is ok but this is used often enough for me that the wheel would be a lot faster since it doesn't remember the setting once you exit playback mode)
Changing crop from FF to Crop when shooting birds to in a speedy way give you faster frame rate. Use it alot.
Shake reduction why not, have used it a few times.
Grid when I compose I like the grid on but not all the time.

What I don´t need on the wheel is HDR

But mostly I use it to turn on and off Wifi, Crop and exposure compensation
05-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #26
Pentaxian
MadMathMind's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,531
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Changing crop from FF to Crop when shooting birds to in a speedy way give you faster frame rate. Use it alot.
But don't you head into the shoot knowing you'll want crop mode? You're not shooting 2-3 shots in FF, flip to crop, shoot a few shots, flip back to FF, shoot more shots, etc. are you?

Like shake reduction...sure you turn it off for 1-2 shots when you set the camera on a ledge but you don't generally handhold 3 shots with SR, set it down and turn off SR for 5 shots, go back to handheld for 5 shots with SR, etc. right?

Those are the sort of features that are fine for the menu since you only need to set them once in the field, for the most part. But things like EV, ISO...those are getting set a lot in the field for different shots.
05-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #27
Pentaxian
Tjompen1968's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norrköping, Sweden
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,287
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
But don't you head into the shoot knowing you'll want crop mode? You're not shooting 2-3 shots in FF, flip to crop, shoot a few shots, flip back to FF, shoot more shots, etc. are you?

Like shake reduction...sure you turn it off for 1-2 shots when you set the camera on a ledge but you don't generally handhold 3 shots with SR, set it down and turn off SR for 5 shots, go back to handheld for 5 shots with SR, etc. right?

Those are the sort of features that are fine for the menu since you only need to set them once in the field, for the most part. But things like EV, ISO...those are getting set a lot in the field for different shots.
Yes I actually have done so. Big swan close enought to fill the FF frame, then a smaller bird not covering the Crop frame.
Starting point Crop for BIFs and the fast change if filling the frame is possible. We shot an eagle fighting over a fish with an osprey, starting in crop and then they came closer so I swithed to FF.
05-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #28
Tas
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,001
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I like the wheel but still am getting used to it. I've finally reached the point where I'm not holding the ISO button and using another wheel to scroll, so that's good.

This said, the things on the wheel feel like a bit of an afterthought. It's like someone said "Dude, we should have a wheel!" and had no idea what to put there, so someone from marketing just threw a few things on there.

Really or moderately useful:
+++ ISO
+++ EV compensation
+ WiFi

Things I don't use but see others liking:
++ Bracketing
++ Continuous High/Low
+ HDR

Why are these things on the wheel:
- Grid
- Crop
- Shake Reduction

I can't see anyone needing to change those last three on the fly very often. Like the 'Crop'...you put the lens on and then set the crop mode and then don't change it unless you change lenses. Shake reduction is the same. The times you need to toggle it on/off are quite rare.

Things I would have liked on the wheel:
++ Metering mode
+ Autofocus mode, instead of having to hold the side button and scroll with a wheel
+ Outdoor view for LCD (4-way is ok but this is used often enough for me that the wheel would be a lot faster since it doesn't remember the setting once you exit playback mode)
It's early days for me with using the top wheel arrangement but I've come from using the EV and ISO button rear dial so I've just continued the practice. The lack of on/off functionality of the bracketing option has me defaulting to the drive selector instead. The third dial for me is left on SR as I will switch between mirror lock up and bracketing. MUP turns off SR, bracketing will have it turn back on and I might miss it and have SR on whilst tripod mounted. With the K5 I would dive in and out of the info screen to turn this on and off, here I just turn a wheel. I find it handy, though as I said it is early days still and making better use of the cameras changes when compared to the K5 will take a bit of time.

Are you aware of the memory option for the LCD Outdoor setting (Camera menu 5, page 3)? This will allow you to have the setting retained from the last selection. You can turn the camera off and it will remember the setting. It's not as handy as having it as a selection on the third wheel but worth selecting the memory for this one.

Tas
05-30-2016, 04:10 PM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago suburb, IL, USA
Posts: 1,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
Yes I actually have done so. Big swan close enought to fill the FF frame, then a smaller bird not covering the Crop frame.
Starting point Crop for BIFs and the fast change if filling the frame is possible. We shot an eagle fighting over a fish with an osprey, starting in crop and then they came closer so I swithed to FF.
I am primarily a bird shooter and use this to go back and forth between crop and FF quite a few times per session. I shoot with a 510mm lens combo that focuses to 6 ft and being able to go from crop to FF allows me to "step back" a few feet without having to move if a bird moves to a closer branch. This is one of the first things I tried, and is almost my default function for this wheel so far.

Scott
05-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,764
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I am primarily a bird shooter and use this to go back and forth between crop and FF quite a few times per session. I shoot with a 510mm lens combo that focuses to 6 ft and being able to go from crop to FF allows me to "step back" a few feet without having to move if a bird moves to a closer branch. This is one of the first things I tried, and is almost my default function for this wheel so far.
I shoot with the Bigma 50-500 which is a FF lens...and you are so right. That Crop Mode wheel is fantastic to go in and out of FF.

I haven't found anything of any significance to not like so far. I am still exploring the camera but all I have found is very pleasant surprises. The high ISO shots are amazing..the SR is wonderful and the AF just blows me away!

I've told this story all over the place but not here...I have been Bigma 50-500 shooting since K10D days...and never had a Pentax body that it didn't hunt like a blind hound on in low light. Hundreds, maybe even thousands of missed shots waiting for focus confirmation. I used to sing along to the tune of the AF motor going back and forth trying to lock on. No more! The Bigma locks on fast and sure even in very low light...simply amazing! I still have to pinch myself to make certain I'm not dreaming....but I'm not!

SR is wonderful....1/25 handheld @ 500mm


ISO is not longer limited to 1600 on birdie shots

ISO 5000 No noise reduction applied.


If there is anything not to like it is just the getting used to the new menu and control locations.....that is hardly a camera fault. Love this camera!

Regards!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, bunch, button, camera, cameras, cap, composition, contrast, dslr, fa43, feature, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, lens, liveview, pentax k-1, phone, placement, playback, results, review, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lloyd Chambers - I think he likes the K-1 HopelessTogger Pentax K-1 5 05-28-2016 04:36 AM
The ethics of 'likes' in an online photo competition Wild Mark General Photography 80 03-03-2016 01:10 PM
K-5II Likes and Dislikes rjm Pentax K-5 8 05-26-2015 03:10 PM
User interface (menu) likes and dislikes einstrigger Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 11-09-2010 05:47 PM
Anyone else dislikes the comparisons of the K-7 to the D5000/T1i or D300/50D even? NothingInCommon Pentax News and Rumors 60 06-15-2009 11:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:20 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top