Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 05:17 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
he means a person holding an SLR in one hand and a cell phone in another.
this is exactly what I'm talking about...and I have seen this personally in many instances when I'm out and about. I happen to pay attention to other photographers I see, and I cannot help but critique their technique. Observing photographers using Tripods properly and lens hoods correctly pleases me to no end. Sloppy hand held technique*, or egregious misapplication of flash** is inexcusable.

*The owner of a Canon 60D who insisted on holding on to his camera body, and only the camera whilst using a Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS: no supporting hand under the lens as common sense would dictate. He merely held his camera with his hands on both sides of it in a death grip - his knuckles were visibly white from the strain. When I commented on his unusual technique he said " this lens has IS, I could do this with one hand".... if you don't break the lens mount clean off the camera at least you can enjoy the arthritis you will develop you ignorant twit.

**e.g Wedding photographers outdoors with their flash firing while pointed straight up [no, they weren't using their flash bounce card for catch-lights] uselessly towards the sky is a distressing waste of battery power, and shows a lack of awareness - I have seen this mistake many times. I do not penalize tourists who accidentally use flash for landscape images to be such an issue as they aren't consciously deciding to use flash under these circumstances - the cameras automatic metering system makes that call and therefore it is excusable, and easily correctable by either deactivating automatic flash or changing the cameras metering pattern to spot or CWA.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-02-2016 at 05:40 PM.
06-02-2016, 06:08 PM   #47
Site Supporter

Ok. The image making capabilities of this machine are incredible and I've very little to dislike but there are two distinct things I think are worth mentioning that tarnish the camera's usability.

1. No ability to see changes when the LCD has been set to off. I like to keep my LCD off to keep battery use down. I also find the light of it distracting when looking through the viewfinder. However, If I am changing settings like fps, or pixel shift (custom settings on my camera) I have no idea of what is going on. Changing functions really needs to flash up the info on the LCD then switch off again after a few seconds for they of us who like the LCD display set to off as a default.

2. No more optical preview on my camera. I find the preview switch surrounding the shutter fantastic, especially setting it to a digital preview to bring up the histogram of a particular scene. (histogram here means I can switch it off everywhere else and review images without a histogram getting in the way) However, if I choose the digital preview, it cancels out the optical preview and there is no longer the ability to use it on the camera, as it can not be reset to other buttons like in previous cameras. I too use the optical preview, especially for product studio work, why its not available now on other buttons bewilders me.
06-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
I am changing settings like fps, or pixel shift (custom settings on my camera) I have no idea of what is going on.
Unfortunately the top LCD has been made too small to serve as a functional alternative for this usage scenario.
06-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
You're calling him out for having formed an opinion ?

Digitalis basically said he finds it odd to use a tethered device while taking a handheld shot.. Unless he misspoke, I imagine he means a person holding an SLR in one hand and a cell phone in another. If this is the scenario he has in mind, I agree with him. It would certainly be more simple to hold the camera with both hands and use the attached articulating screen.. yeah? Using a tethered cell phone with the camera on a tripod is less odd to me but Digitalis may disagree and I would have to accept that
Since this "debate" started because of me, I must say it again, if the photo has been taken handheld, then yes, tilt shift screen is useful. My comment referred to those scenarios where the camera is on a tripod, and close to the ground. I see no need to use a phone/tablet with a handheld camera (unless the camera doesn't have a tilt screen).

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 06-03-2016 at 04:52 AM.
06-03-2016, 01:12 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Unfortunately the top LCD has been made too small to serve as a functional alternative for this usage scenario.
I was referring to the back screen. If the back screen is off by default, it should really flash setting changes so one can see what has happened.
06-03-2016, 02:03 AM   #51
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...flash firing while pointed straight up [no, they weren't using their flash bounce card for catch-lights] uselessly towards the sky...
Hi

I entirely and completely agree with you as the "egregious" use of flash guns is also my pet peeve.

However, and there is always an "however" isn't there.

Don't criticise me too harshly when you see me pointing my flash up towards the sky outdoors.
I have a Metz 64 AF-1 which has a secondary variable strength flash build into the body which can be activated
when the main flash head is pointing up. When I shoot outdoors and I need just a bit of fill light it is very
convenient to just tilt the main flash up which then will activate the fill flash of this model and this is
often all I need.

I hate to think that you would classify me as a dill. (On second thoughts you wouldn't be the first one though.)

Cheers
06-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #52
Pentaxian

I'm not wild about the AF and Green Button locations, but the one thing that keeps tripping me up is that I keep accidentally bumping (and changing) the Drive Mode. It's weird, I never had that problem with my K-5 or any other Pentax DSLR. But I regularly press the shutter only to find that I've inadvertently changed the mode to Timer, Continuous, Interval or whatever. Super annoying.

But otherwise I love the camera, especially things like the low-light performance, lock mode, VF, etc. And being able to get the full field of view from full-frame glass on digital -- glorious.
06-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Too many keepers

Cheers... M
Yep....I am learning to be far more controlled with my shutter button finger to address issues of computer memory space and photo selection/culling decisions!

A wonderful problem to have, BTW....

06-03-2016, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Things I don't like about the K1 its a piece of rubbish,, its totally useless why in the world they ever brought this out has got me stumped and I hate not having one as well. ;(
06-03-2016, 02:35 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
but the one thing that keeps tripping me up is that I keep accidentally bumping (and changing) the Drive Mode.
Set menu item C20 to #2. This defaults the d-pad to changing the focus point instead of the drive mode. To change the drive mode you will need to press the AF change button first.
06-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Set menu item C20 to #2. This defaults the d-pad to changing the focus point instead of the drive mode. To change the drive mode you will need to press the AF change button first.
Thanks JT! Learn something new here everyday.
06-03-2016, 03:23 PM   #57
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
- Image quality (obviously!): high resolution, improved dynamic range, high ISO noise performance.
- Screw drive AF motor greatly improved (coming from a K20D).
- LCD screen: good resolution and brightness (coming from a K20D).
- All the generic stuff that made me pick Pentax years ago (build quality, ergonomics, thoughtful button layout, easy to use menu system, thoughtful modes/settings like TAv and Capture In Focus, weather sealing, etc. - the things that aren't new to the K-1 but deserve being on the Likes list).

Neutral
- No physical SR on/off button (I'm slowly getting used to this).
- The 3rd "function" dial is much stiffer to turn than I would expect.
- No on-board flash (doesn't matter most of the time as I have an external flash, but having on-board flash has saved the day for me before when I didn't have my external flash with me or the batteries were dead).

Dislikes
- No AF.C physical button. Turning AF.C on/off in the menu is overly confusing compared to all the other settings.
- Smaller/simpler top LCD.
- Not enough customization options for custom buttons.
- Not being able to use AF button as a custom button (ex. if not using rear AF I would like to change this button to toggle between AF.S and AF.C or use it to change AF point selection mode).
- Status screen not turning off after a set timeout period or when bringing the camera up to your face (like bringing a smart phone up to your ear). I have it permanently disabled now but wish I could use it sometimes. You can set the image review time so why can't you set a timeout value for the status screen?

Not sure yet
- Pixel shift & astrotracer - I haven't used these yet, but I'm fairly sure I will like them once I use them!
- Articulating screen should be nice, if I get in the habit of using live view. I never used live view on my K20D. Maybe an articulating screen will prompt me to start using live view, or maybe an improved live view (vs. K20D) will start prompting me to use the articulating screen. We'll see!
06-03-2016, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seanix Quote

Dislikes
- No AF.C physical button. Turning AF.C on/off in the menu is overly confusing compared to all the other settings.
Right over the AF ON/OFF switch there is a button if pressed you change AF.S to AF.C with the front wheel, no need to look away from the OVF or going in to a menu.
06-03-2016, 04:00 PM   #59
Pentaxian

My major disappointment for me is the loss of a reasonable top screen, would have preferred a third ewheel with menu selected functions rather than the large selector wheel robbing us of a larger top LCD. Would prefer the third ewheel to be smoother as well.

On another note, I was carrying the K-1 with DFA 150-450 with only a wrist strap for three or four hours the other day on a walk (mostly because I'm forgetful) and the following day I couldn't believe how light and nimble the K-1 and FA43 is.......it felt like a P&S.

Last edited by noelpolar; 06-03-2016 at 04:12 PM.
06-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
Ok. ...
Likely won't help much but this is how things work with a K5 and perhaps they do with theK1:

When mirror lock up is enabled, the pre-view switch stops down the lens for DOF preview and it does this even if the pre-view switch is set to 'digital'