Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #1

K-1 US Availability?

Any known domestic retailer with a K-1 in stock? Trying to get one by June 3rd

Looks like amazon, BH, and adorama are all sold out.

05-28-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might try Ritz.
05-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Both Adorama and B&H have been in and out of stock. The only way to get one might be to order and get in line. Local stores also seem to be in and out of stock. Amazon shows one in stock but at a $200 premium from some shyster.
05-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTom Quote
You might try Ritz.
Thanks, placed my order through them with overnight shipping. Hopefully their website was accurate regarding the "In Stock" listing on their site.

05-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I bought one Friday from Roberts Camera in Indiana
05-28-2016, 01:14 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

My recommendation would be to pick a store, place an order, and wait. A handful of K-1's shipped earlier this week but nobody knows when the next batch will be.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-28-2016, 01:18 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric4 Quote
Thanks, placed my order through them with overnight shipping. Hopefully their website was accurate regarding the "In Stock" listing on their site.
The only reason I suggested them was that they showed in stock and I was able to add one to my shopping cart. I hope that they come through for you for your deadline.

05-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I bought one Friday from Roberts Camera in Indiana

That's odd. The last time I was in there show room, which was shortly after they moved into the new building, they were not carrying new Pentax cameras or lenses.
05-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
That's odd. The last time I was in there show room, which was shortly after they moved into the new building, they were not carrying new Pentax cameras or lenses.
Interesting. My local camera shop also showed it advertised, although out of stock. When i called, they said it was the first time they'd be carrying Pentax. And at Cameta it seems to be the only Pentax they're carrying, although they have a couple of lenses. And of course zero stock.

Maybe the K-1 is at a price/value point that some dealers feel it's a better seller than the APS-C Pentaxes.
05-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #10
mee
Veteran Member

I think it is more a case of demand outstripping supply. If you know its going to sell it would be crazy not to order it if a retailer.
05-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Interesting. My local camera shop also showed it advertised, although out of stock. When i called, they said it was the first time they'd be carrying Pentax. And at Cameta it seems to be the only Pentax they're carrying, although they have a couple of lenses. And of course zero stock.

Maybe the K-1 is at a price/value point that some dealers feel it's a better seller than the APS-C Pentaxes.

I checked the website and they are showing both the K1 and K50, both out of stock. They also list the 50-135 lens as a special order but the rest of the Pentax lenses are out of stock also.

I know that for a long time, Roberts was a Pentax dealer. Maybe they are still on the list but do not physically stock the items. I also know that before Roberts moved to there new location, they had a 1st Ds in stock in the display cabinet. The price they had on it was the price that it was introduced at so nobody wanted to buy it. I wonder if they ever sold it?
05-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If you know its going to sell it would be crazy not to order it if a retailer.
As a retailer with a solid line of cameras already on the shelf I can imagine how difficult it would have been for Ricoh sales to get them to add a k-3 to their shelf. K-3? Same as the D7200 right? and the same price point right? So why should I bother? But when they showed them the K-1 I suspect the conversation went a little differently. Same as the D810 right? Same price point right? Wait, what price? OMG.........
05-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My local Dealer had dropped Pentax briefly, but Ricoh assigned a new Rep. They bought 12 K-1's plus their pre-orders. They sold the 12 K-1's over the counter in 2 weeks (one to me).

Granted, those aren't D810 numbers, but they turned their initial order, which is good news.
05-28-2016, 06:38 PM   #14
Pentaxian

there's one third party seller on amazon charging $1996 and has them (1) in stock. ritz via amazon is $1899 and says preorder (availability date keeps changing).
05-28-2016, 07:05 PM   #15
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As a retailer with a solid line of cameras already on the shelf I can imagine how difficult it would have been for Ricoh sales to get them to add a k-3 to their shelf. K-3? Same as the D7200 right? and the same price point right? So why should I bother? But when they showed them the K-1 I suspect the conversation went a little differently. Same as the D810 right? Same price point right? Wait, what price? OMG.........
Yep. Though I wonder if there is blowback of sorts where retailers end up ordering too many and then theres a glut of them on the shelves? I wonder what the 645Z did.. I know there was a similar surge with it, but know nothing beyond that.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My local Dealer had dropped Pentax briefly, but Ricoh assigned a new Rep. They bought 12 K-1's plus their pre-orders. They sold the 12 K-1's over the counter in 2 weeks (one to me).

Granted, those aren't D810 numbers, but they turned their initial order, which is good news.
Exactly.. It was probably easy money for them flipping those.