Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #1

Does the K1... zoom into focus points?

Hi there,
would one of you lucky K1 owners be so kind to check the following for me:

When you review a pic on the camera's screen and zoom in, does it zoom into the middle of the image or into the spot in the image where you placed the focus point (assuming you used a focus point other than the center one)?

Previous pentax camera's would do the former, while most other manufacturer's cameras do the latter, which i think is better.

Thanks
Bromberger

05-29-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It zooms into the centre of the image, regardless of the focus point selected.
05-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
Of course *sigh*

Thank you, Mock!
05-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
It zooms into the centre of the image, regardless of the focus point selected.
I use the live zoom feature on my Canon Camera. I can zoom and then move the image with a thumb tab. I find this helpful in dof shooting and just for the basic tack sharpness. I shoot manual focus and Manual settings 90% of the time anyway. I am going to rent the K1 and I am planning to go with the K1 if I like it. I love the specs and do a lot of night photos. So does the K1 have zoom and move capability in live view?

05-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrvs666 Quote
I use the live zoom feature on my Canon Camera. I can zoom and then move the image with a thumb tab. I find this helpful in dof shooting and just for the basic tack sharpness. I shoot manual focus and Manual settings 90% of the time anyway. I am going to rent the K1 and I am planning to go with the K1 if I like it. I love the specs and do a lot of night photos. So does the K1 have zoom and move capability in live view?

Yes it has zoom and move capablity in live view.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bromberger Quote
Hi there,
Previous pentax camera's would do the former, while most other manufacturer's cameras do the latter, which i think is better.

I've tried Nikons, Canons, Sonys and others... The pentax is a bit quirky, does many things a bit differently. Look at the three dials now for instance, Now that I am used to it I love it, when I am in manual I do not have to press any buttons except take the pic! I can control ISO, shutter and Aperture, each on a dedicated dial! Nikon, Canon, whatever owners says it is not needed. Within a few years we will see cameras from them using it aswell and they will love it, as I already do.

with that said not all of Pentax ideas work for me either. I could do with a better way to choose focus point. The placement of a few buttons are a bit off for me, and the light could have been integrated on the buttons istead of having LED-light on the back of the display, for instance...

Last edited by discharged; 05-29-2016 at 01:59 PM.
05-29-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter

Hi there,
would one of you lucky K1 owners be so kind to check the following for me:

When you review a pic on the camera's screen and zoom in, does it zoom into the middle of the image or into the spot in the image where you placed the focus point (assuming you used a focus point other than the center one)?

Thanks
Bromberger
When using LV the default point for zooming in is the centre, I haven't checked to see if this can be set elsewhere as a default.

When I've wanted to relocate the point of focus in the zoom mode I do so with the pad, then set the focus using focus peaking on that point. This can be anywhere in the frame. I then take an image.

When I am ready to take a second image I can check the focus point again by pressing ok whilst in LV and it will zoom into the focus point I selected, not the centre. It returns to this position each time unless I move it to a new point or turn off the camera.

When you turn off the camera it will default back to the centre.

Hopefully this is what you were after.

Tas
05-29-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
When using LV the default point for zooming in is the centre, I haven't checked to see if this can be set elsewhere as a default.
The camera will remember the zoom position until you power it off, I believe. This makes it easy to compare the same area of multiple images.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-29-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The camera will remember the zoom position until you power it off, I believe. This makes it easy to compare the same area of multiple images.
zoom into the image with rear command dial.
Switch from one image to the next with front command dial. The same relative position in each image can be reviewed as different images are selected with the front dial..

I think I have the function of the front/rear dials correct.
I do it but don't really remember... If not, vice versa.

05-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Hopefully this is what you were after.
Thank you, Tas, but no i was not asking about LV but about reviewing images i just took on the back screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by discharged Quote
The pentax is a bit quirky, does many things a bit differently.
Yes, sure. With many cameras' interfaces i feel they are quirky until i've gotten used to them. However i think that this particular feature is NOT a matter of taste or of habits. Instead, it just doesn't make any sense. I can't see any benefit in zooming into the center over zooming into the focus point.
05-29-2016, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

...I can't see any benefit in zooming into the center over zooming into the focus point.
Well, zoom to focus point would be of no use to the people that use only center AF point, direct that at the subject to focus, and then recompose. Zoom to AF point will always be to center. There seem to be a lot of people that use center point only.. maybe a Pentax user thing ?

However, I would like the option to zoom to AF point. Sounds like a good thing. There could be an option in 'play back' menu to choose either zoom to center or zoom to AF pt. then all will be happy.
05-30-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
Well, zoom to focus point would be of no use to the people that use only center AF point
correct. same as now.
the matter would not improve for those people, neither would it get worse.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tan68 Quote
then all will be happy.
i guess the center AF point people are already happy now, so... yes, all would be happy :-)
04-28-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

...zoom into the middle of the image or into the spot in the image where you placed the focus point (assuming you used a focus point other than the center one)?
Which other manufacturer's cameras do zoom into the used focus point during image display?
05-05-2017, 06:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Which other manufacturer's cameras do zoom into the used focus point during image display?
Afaik, Nikon & Canon.
05-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #14
Site Supporter

It would be in interesting feature - custom function - to zoom in on the focus point that was used in AF shots during play mode.
There are cases where such a feature would be useful, but also cases where it would not be useful, i.e. then recomposition took place after focusing.

With the limited frame coverage of Pentax AF points, you can quickly adjust where you zoom in for detail. Such CF would not be my priority.