Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rudy Quote
+1 for Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC UHS-1 U3 95MB/s Fast and reliable
+1, seems to be working for me too.

05-30-2016, 02:31 PM   #17
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 2351HD Quote
Hi,
I am experiencing what I feel are slow write times on my K1. Can anybody point me in the direction of a thread or article with recommended SD cards for the K1 and what the fastest write times can be achieved?
Thanks
G'day mate,

I think the first thing is to understand the context of your question.

Are you comparing the K-1 in Continuous-high using an SD card against a Nikon pro level camera using Compact Flash or even XQD cards? For example something like the D500 seems to be advertised as for fast shooters so in this type of context, the type of SD card is going to make bugger all difference as SD cards are slower than the other card systems.

Added to this if you're comparing bodies the K-1 isn't aimed at fast shooting, unlike the D500 and personally the buffer seems to fill pretty quick when you start shooting action/sports etc. In this context though it is more appropriate to understand the K-1 when considering the D810. So the question should be how is write speed and buffer clearing when compared to the D810 as this is really the benchmark I'd have thought the K-1 should be considered against.

As stated above I find the buffer fills pretty quick when I've been capturing surfers. In FF mode I get an initial burst in sequence then I have to pause shooting and try and cherry pick more and rely upon a two shot burst approach so I can try and capture the right moments. I found similar with the crop mode, though as I've been only shooting crop cameras until now I'm trying to get adjusted to the FF framing etc and will continue in this vain. Therefore this is my choice to accept the penalties in frame rate speed, buffer limits etc.

I like to get out and capture motorcycle racing and surfing and find the K-1 write times as frustrating as those of my K5. I'd love for it to be faster, but then my preferred style of photography is landscape so I guess 'what compromise will I prefer to work with' is higher resolution and a landscape bias over the faster shooting capability.

The SD card format is very ubiquitous, small and relatively inexpensive, but after that there is a speed deficit we pay for these advantages. What role the camera plays versus the card format and type should be indentifiable in some of the online tests. I am another user of the Sandisks as I've had issues with some other cards and find the speed of these is good compared to cheaper cards, though as I said above it's about context. We pay a penalty for the resolution and card format compared to other platforms, but then there are benefits to our system compared to the others.

My context is not likely to be the same as yours but thought the feedback of my experiences might be of assistance in answering your question. Yesterday I got a small hands on with the 645Z, a camera I'd still love to work with, though this may never happen. I noticed the slower speed of the Z compared to the K-1 but then again that's what I'd expect with that camera. I envy you for getting to work with that beastie.

Tas
05-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #18

I was concerned with my write speed on my K1 until I realised I was writing to both SD cards - the same photo written twice. I changed the setting to write to one card (just one arrow pointing at card 1) and writing is now as quick as my K30 was...

Cheers,
Mario
05-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
Shooting with a pair of these and writing RAW to both is really slow... Doing portraits last weekend I found myself multiple times unable to take a photo because of a full buffer. Even a minute later it would still be chomping away with the orange light flashing.
My K-1 was writing slow.... say an image per second..... found some image setting turned on in camera accidentally some how..... turned it off and things went back to normal...... can't remember what setting it was though.... maybe skin setting....?

05-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The fastest write speed I've observed is 32Mb/s with a sandisk extreme pro, and 30Mb/s with a sandisk extreme (current generation). So, if you have either of those cards you'll get optimal performance. Just look for the UHS-I and U3 labels.

Also, if you're shooting in RAW+ or JPEG and have geometric distortion correction enabled, note that this will add a full second of processing time per frame and greatly reduce your burst length.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2016, 04:42 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Also, if you're shooting in RAW+ or JPEG and have geometric distortion correction enabled, note that this will add a full second of processing time per frame and greatly reduce your burst length.
The only ones I have enabled are Lat-Chromatic and Diffraction Correction. Would you recommend leaving those on?

Auto Highlight and Shadow correction are on also by default, and I haven't taken the Noise Reduction settings off of the auto yet.

Thanks for the insight!
05-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by aikilink Quote
The only ones I have enabled are Lat-Chromatic and Diffraction Correction. Would you recommend leaving those on?

Auto Highlight and Shadow correction are on also by default, and I haven't taken the Noise Reduction settings off of the auto yet.

Thanks for the insight!
Those don't add much processing time (fractions of a second), so you can leave them on if you want.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-30-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got the fastest samsung SD card they had and it performs very well. It's supposed to be reliable and a bit cheaper than the Sandisk extreme pro series.
05-30-2016, 06:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Am using San Disk extreme Pro 128GB UHS1 / & 64GB same kind & slow write times & buffer fills up after 5-12 shots! another thread I posted about this..card is fine,formatted in camera,new FW.. all options off Raw?Jpeg or Raw same story..in FF mode..crop is faster of course

maybe Lexar will work better?

---------- Post added 05-31-16 at 03:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I only use Lexar, and they work perfect with K-1. I use the faster ones..x1000 and up!
but those are UHS 2 aren't they? like here Lexar Media SDXC Professional UHS-II U3 150MB/s 64GB (1000x) - Sammenlign priser på Pricerunner
05-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Last December, I paid less, so watch for sale pricing.

Samsung PRO+ 64GB Class 10 U3 UHS-1 SDXC Memory Card MB-SD64D/AM

Works great... M

Works great ? How ? I have same card and I am not satisfied at all. look here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/321296-write-speed-sd-card-test.html and try same test like me and let me know your writing time, please, thank you.
05-30-2016, 09:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I did some measurements on my own:
No calculations of the camera, manual mode, RAW only, DNG, 1/8000sec, AF off, Time from first writing light to light off, Transcend R95 W60 MN/s 128GB SDXC I Klass 3
663 997 066 Bytes 17 pics 31.16 sec 21 MB/sec
592 739 598 Bytes 15 pics 29.53 sec 20 MB/sec
660 737 342 Bytes 17 pics 30,50 sec 21,7 MB/sec time from slowing down to end -2.6 sec => 23,681

Every card with a write speed above 30 MB/sec would be sufficient - all cards which are outperforming a K-3 would be really good enough for the K-1. It seems, that the K-1 is slower than a K-3

Even with this slow writing speed I'm very happy with this camera, there are lots of benefits with this camera
05-31-2016, 12:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
but those are UHS 2 aren't they?
Yes, correct..i have a few of these..32, 64 and 256 gig
05-31-2016, 12:50 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the data.

I have now tested my Sandisk Pro (90mbps) card from my 645z vs the Lexar (75mbps) cards in the K1 and there is no noticeable difference in write speed, both are above the speed of the K1 it seems.

What made the biggest difference was only using 1 card in the camera vs 2, plus turning off all correction and d-range settings, as I shoot Raw DNG anyway so Lightroom can handle the correction.

When the instant review comes up, I can now press Play right away and it will go into full playback mode with no noticeable delay.

A good result.
05-31-2016, 04:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Yes, correct..i have a few of these..32, 64 and 256 gig
Ok and UHS II doesn't slow it down compared to UHS I ?
06-01-2016, 12:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Ok and UHS II doesn't slow it down compared to UHS I ?
Not to my knowledge