Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 03:12 AM   #31
Pentaxian

An UHS II card will revert to SDR-50 bus speeds when working in UHS I mode (i.e. in an UHS I device). It would not be any faster than a good UHS I SDR 50 card (limited to less than 50MB/sec transfer rates).
It would be slower than a SDR 104-capable UHS I card (like the 90+MB/sec cards available e.g. from Sandisk), provided the device can use SDR 104 speeds.

Maybe the K-1 can't benefit from SDR 104 bus speeds. Or maybe the difference is too small to be noticed in practice, given kenspo's shooting style.

06-01-2016, 03:46 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well one thing to remember is that you have 36MP. These files are huge. Of course they will take longer to write than a little 16MP file. This is why the Nikon D4s, the fast flagship of Nikon, only has 16MP FF.
Look at how big a dng is, now imagine how big the amount of data is before it gets compressed, corrections applied, and so on. Even a computer slows down when you are working with 36MP tiff files.
06-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well one thing to remember is that you have 36MP. These files are huge. Of course they will take longer to write than a little 16MP file. This is why the Nikon D4s, the fast flagship of Nikon, only has 16MP FF.
Look at how big a dng is, now imagine how big the amount of data is before it gets compressed, corrections applied, and so on. Even a computer slows down when you are working with 36MP tiff files.
@Na Horuk, we are not talking about slowliness writing pictures. We are talking about the slow speed of writing at all.

A K3 get's up to 31 MB/s writtem, a K1 roundabout 21 MB/s. Thats a 50% difference.

A typical K1 Raw file is about 42 MB on a K1 it will last 2 seconds on a K3 it will be roundabout 1.3 seconds for the same file.
08-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #34

I think this is a firmware issue. I have found this previously and thought that it was a card issue and found it disappeared when I formatted the card. But it happened again today when the write speeds slowed to a crawl. I switched from duel card to single card and rotated 3 cards through 1 slot writing in either raw format or JPEG. It still crawled and locked the camera up.when writing to card even after I reformatted one of the cards. I switched back to using the first 2 cards, raw to 1 and JPEG to the other and it still crawled.I then switched to TAV mode from User mode and the problem completely disappeared. its almost as if the buffer wasn't clearing after writing to SD card and the memory completely filled up but switching mode flushed the buffer. This has never happened with my K3 or previous K30 or K5's. It looks like a software issue to me.

11-01-2017, 07:44 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Argh...I've been experiencing this same problem. I thought I had I had continuous shooting set to H since the "H" icon showed as the default. However, when I checked my settings and went into change this setting, what I actually had set was the "L" function!!!!! No wonder it was at a crawl!!! After changing it to "H", I can now get at least 6 images before the buffer fills! YMMV as I haven't read this entire post to see if anyone suggested that you check this.