Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

** K-1 Recommended Settings **

I haven't seen any threads like this one, so I thought I'd start one.

What have other users figured out in terms of common and appropriate settings for in-camera noise/highlight processing, etc?

05-31-2016, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote

What have other users figured out in terms of common and appropriate settings for in-camera noise/highlight processing, etc?
I recommend shooting in DNG or PEF and then ignoring/forgetting about all those jpeg settings
05-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My adagio is none.
05-31-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I recommend shooting in DNG or PEF and then ignoring/forgetting about all those jpeg settings
Agree. Except that some posts seem to indicate at least some of those settings DO affect DNG files. Not sure if that is correct or which settings are involved. I left all of mine on auto for now but would like to turn off anything that is unused with DNG.

05-31-2016, 11:47 AM   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree. Except that some posts seem to indicate at least some of those settings DO affect DNG files. Not sure if that is correct or which settings are involved. I left all of mine on auto for now but would like to turn off anything that is unused with DNG.
The RAW data is never changed but some settings go into the exif part of the file and depending on software different things may happen.
05-31-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There are quite a few cool tweaks that can be made, including some hidden surprises that make the camera a lot more convenient to use. All this will be available in our in-depth review, which goes live tomorrow

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2016, 12:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Unfortunately this isn't always possible or practical for some of our members!

05-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Unfortunately this isn't always possible or practical for some of our members!
of course not, but this thread is about recommending settings
05-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There are quite a few cool tweaks that can be made, including some hidden surprises that make the camera a lot more convenient to use. All this will be available in our in-depth review, which goes live tomorrow
Waiting patiently Adam.
05-31-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I would say that I turn off most of the bells and whistles. Lens corrections just slow down write time. Highlight protection and shadow enhancement give you an impression about the RAW file that doesn't translate if you are shooting RAW. As the others have said, I have it set to shoot DNG raw files and then I tweak things as needed in Lightroom.

The biggest thing for me is that I have created user modes -- one for multiple exposures shot at f8 and iso 100 and one for pixel shift at iso 100 and f11 -- both with live view auto focus set to allow me to choose the auto focus point. The biggest thing about the user modes is that it spares my wife from picking up the camera to take a photo of our kids and then suddenly the camera is firing five shots, because I forgot to change out of multi exposure mode when I last used the K-1.
05-31-2016, 12:44 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's awesome!

Now if you could only lean on B&H and make them deliver my K-1 this week.
05-31-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Lens corrections just slow down write time.
Only the geometric distortion setting. The others have a negligible impact.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Only the geometric distortion setting.
And only, I guess, if the camera has a lens profile for the lens mounted.

If you have a Pentax F series lens or older, or any non Pentax-brand lens, geometric distortion correction isn't available, so won't cause any slowdowns.
05-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

The biggest thing for me is that I have created user modes -- one for multiple exposures shot at f8 and iso 100 and one for pixel shift at iso 100 and f11 -- both with live view auto focus set to allow me to choose the auto focus point. The biggest thing about the user modes is that it spares my wife from picking up the camera to take a photo of our kids and then suddenly the camera is firing five shots, because I forgot to change out of multi exposure mode when I last used the K-1.
Can you elaborate on this? I've always wanted a dedicated mode for multi exposure (glad to see that the k1 has it in the info screen, but still) so I could use it more often without digging through menus... (and I've never understood how to really use the user modes)

Thank ya much!
05-31-2016, 02:43 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dflorez Quote
Can you elaborate on this? I've always wanted a dedicated mode for multi exposure (glad to see that the k1 has it in the info screen, but still) so I could use it more often without digging through menus... (and I've never understood how to really use the user modes)

Thank ya much!
Set up the camera in the manner you would like, for instance, setting it to 2 frame multiple exposure, in aperture priority f/8 with af set to sel1 or whatever. Then go to the menu and save it to a user mode. Rename the user mode to multi exposure or something.