Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-31-2016, 02:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Voiglander Lenses in Pentax Mount on the K1, but No Way to Change Aperture

Help! I finally got my K1, put several Voigtlander lenses in Pentax mount and am shooting in LiveView to get PixelShift, and they will only show me the lens wide-open. I stack, so I can't see to stack well at wide open. How to we get it so that we can veiw an non-Pentax lens on LiveView at the aperture we want? Any ideas?

05-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
Help! I finally got my K1, put several Voigtlander lenses in Pentax mount and am shooting in LiveView to get PixelShift, and they will only show me the lens wide-open. I stack, so I can't see to stack well at wide open. How to we get it so that we can veiw an non-Pentax lens on LiveView at the aperture we want? Any ideas?
does it not have an aperture ring?
05-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Put the camera in M mode. Then you can close the aperture with the on/of lever by pushing it to the aperture symbol on there to preview DOF
05-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Put the camera in M mode. Then you can close the aperture with the on/of lever by pushing it to the aperture symbol on there to preview DOF
Sounds great, but I don't know which ON/OFF level we are speaking of or where it is. And the same with the aperture symbol... I would like to know. Sorry, I am new to Pentax.

05-31-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

this one:

05-31-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
this one:
Just push the on/off level past 'on' to the 'aperture' symbol as shown above. That will stop down the lens temporarily.
05-31-2016, 02:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

When your Lens has an A-setting (control aperture ring from camera) you can also do this in Av or TAv mode.

05-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I get it now. Is there any way to get the preview to stay on the screen for longer than a moment?
05-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can hold the wheel in the aperture check position. You can also change the behaviour of the button to make a preview shot through the menu. In my K-5 it's on the last tab of the shooting menu (little camera). adapt buttons (or something like that, mine is in Dutch).
05-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Is there any way to have LiveView look at am image and if you want to change the shutter, as you do, it will increase or decrease the light on the subject in LiveView?

Anyway to disable forcing the aperture all the way open?
05-31-2016, 05:12 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any way to have LiveView look at am image and if you want to change the shutter, as you do, it will increase or decrease the light on the subject in LiveView?

Have you considered reading the owner's manual?
05-31-2016, 05:52 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Have you considered reading the owner's manual?
I am working on it. Not the best manual. I am new to this camera, but not to photography. If you can help, I would appreciate it. That was not help.
05-31-2016, 07:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

I am working on it. Not the best manual. I am new to this camera, but not to photography. If you can help, I would appreciate it. That was not help.
Believe it or not, I am trying to be helpful.
Sorry you don't appreciate that.
05-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

There is a work-around...

If you switch the camera to movie mode (small switch under the function dial) then you can have exposure preview in live view with a K-mount manual-aperture lens.
Since the lens does not have an "A"uto-aperture setting the camera software cannot accurately control it, so you must still stop down the lens by holding the depth-of-field preview switch that D1N0/jatrax described to preview exposure and depth-of-field at an aperture other than wide open.

You can use the movie mode to visually take your exposure reading the way you like, then switch back to stills mode if you're taking a photo. The ISO might change when you switch between still and movie mode, so make sure to set the ISO in stills mode the same as the exposure reading you took in movie mode. It is also not possible to set a shutter speed slower than 1/30 in movie mode, so it may not be useful to you.

If your lens has an "A" setting, then you do not need to go to movie mode at all.

---------------------------------

I don't know why changing ISO and shutter speed in stills mode with a manual-aperture lens doesn't generate an exposure preview, seems like something that could be patched in firmware since the function exists in movie mode.

Last edited by Mock; 05-31-2016 at 08:19 PM.
05-31-2016, 07:48 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Lets go back a step or two. Is it safe to assume you are shooting with Voigtlander SL/SLII-series lenses? If so, the aperture ring has an "A" position. Until you have reason to do otherwise, leave the ring at that position for general shooting.

DOF preview is available through the optical viewfinder and in live view. I don't own a K-1, though I have found that the index in the user manual is one of the best ways to find stuff out. I prefer the PDF (Adobe Acrobat) version. I tried this for DOF preview and came up short. I then tried "Optical Preview" and was directed to p55 where it shows how to use the preview feature of the on/off switch to stop the lens down. (FWIW, having the DOF preview on the power switch is pretty common in Pentax-land.)

Live view is another beast entirely. Typically, no lens is left wide-open in available light shooting situations, neither are these lenses stopped down to the set aperture (go figure). The exceptions are when magnified (always wide open) and when the DOF preview switch is thrown (stops down until released). Those last three bits of information are NOT in the manual.

If you need full-time manual aperture, the lens mounted needs to support that feature. Does your Nikon do it differently?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-31-2016 at 07:54 PM.