Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 02:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K1: Is There Any Way to Avoid the Opening Screens

How can I avoid having to see all the parameters or even step through them each time I turn the K1 ON?

06-01-2016, 03:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Turn the status screen off by pressing the info button and disabling the status display.
(K-1 manual p-14).
06-01-2016, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Tas
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
How can I avoid having to see all the parameters or even step through them each time I turn the K1 ON?
Hi Michael,

As stated above the screen can be turned off using the info button. If the LCD screen brightness is what is annoying you the bottom button on the four way controller opens the screen brightness menu and you can adjust that to suit if you want the info but not the glare. Alternatively, just turn it off as suggested.

The only other screen that should appear when the camera is turned on is the set focal length screen for the in body image stabilisation (shake reduction). If you're using a 100mm lens you should set it for 100mm. If you have a 25mm lens then the closest is 24mm and you should set it to that focal length.

As I've come from earlier Pentax DSLR's I have become acustomed to adopting this approach. Whenever I've forgotten to input the focal length or fail to ensure a lens aperture ring is set to 'A' the image data does not record the lens focal length. This is not the end of the world of course, but I'd like to be able to identify what image was taken with what lens.

The more important part to this step is needed for hand held images where the image stabilisation needs to match the lens focal length.

Anyhoo, hope this info is useful as you learn a new camera and operating system.

Regards,

Tas

Last edited by Tas; 06-01-2016 at 05:03 AM. Reason: typo
06-01-2016, 04:29 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To clarify, you have to press the info button twice then select the off setting in the flyover menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-01-2016, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MichaelErlewine Quote
This is explained on page 12 of your owner's manual.
06-01-2016, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

A few comments have mentioned the user manual. I know that comes across as a bit abrupt, but truth is, the Pentax manuals are not bad. There are several conventions that become obvious as you work your way through and most common features and how they are used should be fairly clear after a walk through. Other stuff comes with playing with the camera and settings menus a bit.

I have read several of your recent posts and can offer a few observations and tips. Please forgive my didactic nature:
  • You are an experienced photographer and expert with your previous choice of gear (Nikon)
  • The temptation is to try and find the short route to do exactly what you were doing with Nikon. After all, the K-1 is just a camera, right?
  • Resist the temptation of the above point. Yes, the K-1 is just a camera and yes, it is fairly conventional in most regards, but its conventions are different that those you are used to.
  • Go through the user guide, camera in hand, noting the things that are similar or the same as Nikon. Take time to puzzle over the things that are not the same. Common tasks such as choosing the rear display options are usually pretty obvious.
  • Spend a day with the camera and kit lens just shooting. No, not your specialty stuff (macro?), shoot ordinary stuff with the intent of finding how the K-1 addresses common photographic tasks. I know this sounds demeaning, but it is a new toy. Treat it like one. With a little time, you will indeed be holding "just another camera".
  • Once you and the camera are on a friendly base, spend some time exploring the settings menus in the camera. Some are obvious, others are not. The index in the PDF version of the user guide has "links" before the alphabetical listing to summaries for each of the main menu tabs. Those summaries often have page links with additional information. What you may find is that the menu settings are things that you seldom, if ever, have to change. They are base level customization and not intended for frequent access to features.
When you get into a tough place, the good folk on this site are ready to help and will go to great lengths to help ensure that you get your expected utility and pleasure from your camera.

Steve