Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 08:05 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Maybe now people on here will actually admit that no, DPR is not biased against Pentax, and yes, they do try to be fair and objective, even though they do not always succeed (no one really does).
I don't think they are biased, MrFox, but agree with others who say they're just not competent enough.

Witness the preview of the K-1 ... dumbed down with a choice of the old 50mm f2 on which to base their assessment.

This site - on what I guess is a miniscule budget - does better articles and that sense of journalism has a bigger influence on the quality of the user discussions, too, IMHO.

06-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have noticed a general decline in the media over the last few years, lots of reasons no doubt, but the thing that comes to mind is Time.
Time is money and Editors have become accountants, so its rush rush rush.
Could be DP rushed this, no doubt with a stack of competing projects running parallel, and as has been noted on this site, advocacy can cause problems with reviewer bias.
However the Waterfails title was very poorly considered. Could be someone thought they were being clever, when they simply devolved from wit to snark. Such are the times.
06-02-2016, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter

Supply and demand. The majority of their readers is interested more in CaNikonSony content than Pentax stuff. The fact that Sigma offers less Pentax glass isn't a sign that they are 'biased' against Pentax either, but simply that there is more demand elsewhere. Recent Pentax flagships have always received very high marks by DPR.
DPR is a source of everything digital for the masses. They are not supposed to be biased. The minute they show bias, their journalistic integrity is compromised. Sigma is a lens manufacturer, they are not a journalistic organization. They make and sell to the largest user base. I did not know DPR was catering only to Nikon, Canon and Sony people. BTW, Pentax fights for and EARNS those high marks.

We don't have any review of any Hasselblad or PhaseOne either. And the D810 review took them two years.
True. However, 645Z is a technological triumph and a bargain for the masses. Hassy and Phase are for the well-to-do elite! The 810 delay is a curiosity. I guess it was too close to the 800e so they did not bother.

And I guess your opinion isn't unbiased either.
My opinion is TOTALLY biased. I am a Pentaxian. What did you expect! BTW, I shot Nikon film cameras for 20 years, Canon digital for 12 years and a year or two of Fuji digital, throw in a few years of Hassy film and RB67...and I am still partial to my Pentax. It may be blind faith or even stupid but I like my Pentax over any other system I have owned and used over the years.

K1 for $1,800 Show me who else can touch that. I paid $2,800 for a 12MP canon 5D which is a toy next to the K1. And DPR wants to bash all that technology because...