Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like DPR dropped their flawed Pixel Shift "study"

Pentax K-1 Pixel Shift: An update: Digital Photography Review

Good to see them actually admitting for once that their methodology might be flawed.

For those who missed the original article, they did a PSR motion correction torture test using a moving scene, but then ran it through Adobe Camera Raw rather than through the recommended Pentax DCU. ACR only applies the minor motion correction performed in-camera and does not include the full processing algorithms used in DCU, so the results looked much much worse than they should have. Whoops!

06-01-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good move. I've seen a few pixel shift photos that were processed properly and without the horrible blue and magenta artifacts the DPR samples had, and they looked pretty good considering that PS isn't actually meant for moving scenes.

Hopefully the new article isn't given a condescending name like "Waterfails".
06-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe now people on here will actually admit that no, DPR is not biased against Pentax, and yes, they do try to be fair and objective, even though they do not always succeed (no one really does).
06-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #4

They also used f/16 to F/20, deep in diffraction territory and significantly reducing any resolution benefit from Pixel Shift. They should have used optimal aperture (~f/8.0) and an ND filter to get the long exposure required to smooth the waterfall stream.

06-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote

Good to see them actually admitting for once that their methodology might be flawed.

For those who missed the original article, they did a PSR motion correction torture test using a moving scene, but then ran it through Adobe Camera Raw rather than through the recommended Pentax DCU. ACR only applies the minor motion correction performed in-camera and does not include the full processing algorithms used in DCU, so the results looked much much worse than they should have. Whoops!
I am really disappointed with DPR. They show their bias time and time again. How else can you explain the speed with which they reviewed the two newly released Nikons. And we still don't have a review of the 645Z after a couple of years.

Why the rush to point out flaws of the K1 SR system. With this half-a@% and flawed review of the K1 they tried to knock the camera so that the Canonikons do not wake up to the fact that they are missing out on a clearly superior still camera. I thought they were supposed to be an unbiased source of everything in digital photography. I guess I was wrong.
06-01-2016, 03:28 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I am really disappointed with DPR. They show their bias time and time again. How else can you explain the speed with which they reviewed the two newly released Nikons. And we still don't have a review of the 645Z after a couple of years.
in fairness, they've only just reviewed the D810, Ibelieve
06-01-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I am really disappointed with DPR. They show their bias time and time again. How else can you explain the speed with which they reviewed the two newly released Nikons.
Supply and demand. The majority of their readers is interested more in CaNikonSony content than Pentax stuff. The fact that Sigma offers less Pentax glass isn't a sign that they are 'biased' against Pentax either, but simply that there is more demand elsewhere. Recent Pentax flagships have always received very high marks by DPR.

QuoteQuote:
And we still don't have a review of the 645Z after a couple of years.
We don't have any review of any Hasselblad or PhaseOne either. And the D810 review took them two years.

QuoteQuote:
I thought they were supposed to be an unbiased source of everything in digital photography. I guess I was wrong.
And I guess your opinion isn't unbiased either.
06-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I found it funny the purpose was to test the limits and the very title says fail. The very point of testing limits is to find where they fail. The article then failed because it didn't do this.
If I test the limit of how fast a car can go and find out it failed to go past the speed of sound the test doesn't tell me the limit. The limit is the point beyond which it can't go. An article on indy car speeds this year telling me they don't go Mach one is laughable as was Waterfails.

06-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FantasticMrFox Quote
Maybe now people on here will actually admit that no, DPR is not biased against Pentax, and yes, they do try to be fair and objective, even though they do not always succeed (no one really does).
It just seems like incompetence to me. You don't have to take pixel shifted images of a nascar race to realize that no, it wasn't intended and doesn't work for that purpose.

There are a bunch of threads on the web telling how to get best results and where it doesn't work. It doesn't work hand held. It doesn't work where there is a large amount of motion blur. And it doesn't work will with ACR.

I stopped paying attention to DPR a long time ago because they just don't seem to know what they are talking about half the time.
06-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote

When I looked at the page yesterday, there was a very prominent notification that they were re-evaluating their methodology in light of results with other RAW converters and would be publishing an update once that had been done.

Steve
06-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Mach one is laughable as was Waterfails.
Waterfalls are quite do-able with pixel shift on the K-1 as is swift water in general. There are several images of both done with pixel shift on this site.

Steve
06-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I am willing to concede lack of intentional bias and substitute haste, sloppiness and incompetence.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-01-2016 at 06:38 PM.
06-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Ah yes you can count on misinformation from the three Placebos.... DPR Review, Ken Rockwell & Thom Hogan
06-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I am glad that waterfalls are quite doable. I was pointing out the title says "fails" as if they were looking for that. When in fact testing limits is suppose to find failure.
An article that tests a cars fastest speed and finds it goes 100mph should push it to 110mph and up and up until it fails. Say it makes it to 150mph. The title of the article would not be Car x fails to go 160mph. Only an article that wants to make Car x look bad would do that.
"Fails" in a title is only used when testing the bare minimum level such as in landing a rocket on a floating platform fails. Emissions test fails. In a what can it do test you don't. In a this is what it needs to do test you do cite failure in the title. Thus I find it was biased.
06-01-2016, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

At least DPR are more responsive to criticism than Ken Rockwell. I suspect Ken has an ample supply of cotton wool to stuff in his ears* every time he posts something horrendously ignorant.

*I suspect he uses the blunt end of a pencil to really pack it in, though at times I wish he would try doing that with the sharp end.