Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 06:48 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I like the reaction of "ignore" everytime we dump some pure truth on the table. They've released the 15-30 (reuse from Tamron), 24-70 (reuse from Tamron), 70-200 (likely Ricoh design), 150-450 (likely Ricoh design), now if they have resources working on optics, I was hopping for some wide angle release from Ricoh this year, especially because we've already seen photographs with some prototypes of prime lenses.[COLOR=Silver]
You, Sir, are a boor and a bore. Congratulations, you are now the sole and first entry in my ignore list. Please buy a canikon and go bore some other forum with your carping.

06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the reaction of "ignore" everytime we dump some pure truth on the table. They've released the 15-30 (reuse from Tamron), 24-70 (reuse from Tamron), 70-200 (likely Ricoh design), 150-450 (likely Ricoh design), now if they have resources working on optics, I was hopping for some wide angle release from Ricoh this year, especially because we've already seen photographs with some prototypes of prime lenses.

---------- Post added 02-06-16 at 14:14 ----------

Same as Rondec once mentioned, the 15-30 is rather large and expensive, I like the DA15 ltd size so much (except its field curvature), a wide angle prime sharp f4 full frame image circle priced <=$1K with filter thread allowing common filters would be perfect. For the 15-30, first it's expensive, second a special fixture is needed to mount filters on the front element, third it's big, fourth it's likely not as good as a prime. Medium size affordable wide angle prime for K1 wanted. I replied abruptly to adam's answer, as this year I already spend a bunch on money on Ricoh gear and this must stop :-), I don't want to spend 10K on FF camera gear. But maybe maybe, in order to afford the DFA15-30, I could try to print €100 banknotes photographed with K1 with 100 macro in pixel shift mode.
"in order to afford the DFA15-30, I could try to print €100 banknotes photographed with K1 with 100 macro in pixel shift mode"

Sounds like a reasonable plan.

06-02-2016, 07:16 AM   #18
Pentaxian

or sell off the K1 system (that shouldn't be an issue, some people or waiting for inventory to refill), when saving 1K on each of 4 tamron lenses, I can easily finance a D810 or 5DSR, BTW the at low ISO the 5DSR resolves as much as K1 pixel shifted, but the 5DSR does not need any tripod.
Your math is correct. Your logic will work perfectly for someone starting from scratch. If you are invested in Pentax lenses already, then you would lose a lot to go start all over again with Nikon and Canon.

As far as Tamron lenses go, I owned the 24-70 VC for my Canon and shot with their 70-200 VC many times. They matched and easily surpassed the best Canon had to offer. I have not shot with the 15-30 but if all the reviews are half true, it is a winner just like the other two. I would happily pay extra for the 15-30 Pentax (rebadged Tamron) as soon as I can save enough to do so.

Have you shot with the K1 at high ISOs (6400 and above)? I have. If you had, you would feel differently about comparing the 5DSR to the K1. I owned Canons for 12 years. Even their best for low ISO, which was the 6D, cannot compare to the K1. Even low ISO landscape photographers shoot high ISO occasionally. I shot a bunch of ISO 6400 portrait images at dusk (my niece's birthday party). Not wanting to use flash, I dialed up the ISO to 6400. The images are magical. The shadows are so clean. 810 maybe, but I doubt 5DSR can touch that.

Last edited by btnapa; 06-02-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: more text
06-02-2016, 12:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
To Dr Orloff:
Ask Sigma whether they can change the mount of your lens to convert it to k-mount. It is a service they already offer for several lenses.
They will only do a mount conversion for a lens available in that mount, unfortunately.

06-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #20

I really wish sigma releases 24 and 20mm ART lenses in PENTAX mount
06-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Pentaxian

It would be very nice

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
I really wish sigma releases 24 and 20mm ART lenses in PENTAX mount
+1. At lease until Pentax introduces their wide primes.
06-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the reaction of "ignore" everytime we dump some pure truth on the table. They've released the 15-30 (reuse from Tamron), 24-70 (reuse from Tamron), 70-200 (likely Ricoh design), 150-450 (likely Ricoh design), now if they have resources working on optics, I was hopping for some wide angle release from Ricoh this year, especially because we've already seen photographs with some prototypes of prime lenses.

---------- Post added 02-06-16 at 14:14 ----------

Same as Rondec once mentioned, the 15-30 is rather large and expensive, I like the DA15 ltd size so much (except its field curvature), a wide angle prime sharp f4 full frame image circle priced <=$1K with filter thread allowing common filters would be perfect. For the 15-30, first it's expensive, second a special fixture is needed to mount filters on the front element, third it's big, fourth it's likely not as good as a prime. Medium size affordable wide angle prime for K1 wanted. I replied abruptly to adam's answer, as this year I already spend a bunch on money on Ricoh gear and this must stop :-), I don't want to spend 10K on FF camera gear. But maybe maybe, in order to afford the DFA15-30, I could try to print €100 banknotes photographed with K1 with 100 macro in pixel shift mode.
How about DA12-24? I read that it's FF compatible up from 18mm? I'd really like to see some images of the K1/FFmode - DA12-24 combo.

06-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
How about DA12-24? I read that it's FF compatible up from 18mm? I'd really like to see some images of the K1/FFmode - DA12-24 combo.
Good idea. I don't have the DA12-24 , but I have the DA15 ltd, so I can use this one in crop mode. For full frame, I can get a couple of Samyang manual focus primes for nearly half the price of a DFA15-30.
06-02-2016, 03:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even one top notch wide prime would be a great start. 24mm would seem the logical focal length. Add well-behaved optics for landscape and astrophotography (good edges, low coma and flare resistance) and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 (a compromise between speed and compactness) and it could be a winner.

I have had the DFA15-30 for a week now, and it is proving to be a very fine lens. It is however very big and heavy, and it cost a bomb. The difficulty with filters is also an issue - the front-mounted slot-loading filter kits have just landed at my local B&M, but even they don't know what the retail price will be yet!

I have excellent primes at 20, 24, 28 and 31, and the "long" end of the DA10-17 (de-fished in Lightroom) will suffice if I really need to go wider. If I shot architecture for a living I would keep the 15-30, but given my needs I think I will return it.
06-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I have had the DFA15-30 for a week now, and it is proving to be a very fine lens. It is however very big and heavy, and it cost a bomb. The difficulty with filters is also an issue - the front-mounted slot-loading filter kits have just landed at my local B&M, but even they don't know what the retail price will be yet!
Tangential: Have you seen this thread (regarding the filters)?

"I purchased the Tamron 15-30mm F/2.8 SW150 adapter for my new Pentax 15-30mm /F/2.8 variant, and I can confirm that the Tamron version works perfectly with the Pentax lens, which has an identical built-in lens shade.

Therefore Pentax K1 owners, using the Pentax 15-30mm F/2.8 lens can simply buy the Tamron adapter in the safe and sure knowledge that that Tamron adapter will work perfectly with the Pentax"
06-02-2016, 04:33 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Even one top notch wide prime would be a great start. 24mm would seem the logical focal length. Add well-behaved optics for landscape and astrophotography (good edges, low coma and flare resistance) and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 (a compromise between speed and compactness) and it could be a winner. I have had the DFA15-30 for a week now, and it is proving to be a very fine lens. It is however very big and heavy, and it cost a bomb. The difficulty with filters is also an issue - the front-mounted slot-loading filter kits have just landed at my local B&M, but even they don't know what the retail price will be yet! I have excellent primes at 20, 24, 28 and 31, and the "long" end of the DA10-17 (de-fished in Lightroom) will suffice if I really need to go wider. If I shot architecture for a living I would keep the 15-30, but given my needs I think I will return it.
For 24mm, the DFA24-70 covers it and is very good even wide open at 24mm. But 24mm isn't so wide, I like 20mm very much because it's wide but not too difficult to frame. For me, the 15-30 is an overkill. I use the DA15ltd f4, and f4 is all I need for a wide angle lens, except that the corner image quality of the DA15ltd isn't so great. However I don't necessarily need a zoom because I can manage to position the lens to create to accentuate a perspective if I want, and I want to have a front element no so large and with a filter thread so that I can mount filters. I thought one of the benefit of the FF format is to allow better wide angle images (not with blurry corners). I guess this is also what many others would like. Good quality, relatively small, 20mm f4 FF prime wanted.
06-02-2016, 04:46 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the time being if you can find an A20/2.8 it was very good on a couple dozen test shots with K-1. There are several A20
Images in the 'Post your K-1 pics' thread.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-02-2016 at 05:46 PM.
06-02-2016, 04:49 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good quality, relatively small, 20mm f4 FF prime wanted.
No argument there. Even an 18/3.5. Both were around in the days of the K series.
06-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
For the time being if you can find an A20/2.8 it was very good on a couple dozen test shots with K-1. There are several A20 Images in the 'Post your K-1 pics' thread.
Yes, thanks, I had a look at several version of manual lenses in the lens database. They are small a relatively cheap, no so sure about the image quality.
06-03-2016, 03:31 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even one top notch wide prime would be a great start. 24mm would seem the logical focal length. Add well-behaved optics for landscape and astrophotography (good edges, low coma and flare resistance) and a maximum aperture of f/1.8 (a compromise between speed and compactness) and it could be a winner.

I have excellent primes at 20, 24, 28 and 31, and the "long" end of the DA10-17 (de-fished in Lightroom) will suffice if I really need to go wider. If I shot architecture for a living I would keep the 15-30, but given my needs I think I will return it.
I am seriously considering the Irix 15mm when it comes out, although I am waiting to see what sorts of results folks get with it. My experience with the DA 15 versus the DA *16-50 tells me that the bigger and faster the glass, the more prone to flare it will be and the fact that the 15-30 is so big and doesn't allow for easy use of filters makes it lower on the list and that's what concerns me about the Irix -- at f2.4 and with who knows what coatings, it is hard to tell if it will be the sort of lens I am looking for.

For landscape photography, which is my thing, I really don't need a super fast lens. A prime somewhere between 15 and 20mm and f4 would be perfect, assuming that it was decently sharp wide open. Combine that with pixel shift and you would have the ability to capture medium format level images.

Anyway, I do understand where biz-engineer is coming from. I tend to have a little more patience. I have waited a long time for full frame and if necessary, I can fill in with a Samyang lens or two if necessary until Pentax gets their primes in order, but I'm hopeful that this is the sort of niche that they look at filling relatively quickly.