Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Colors during image review on camera

Colors during in-camera image review on my K1 are WAY off. It almost appears that the hue of certain colors is not set correctly.

When I import them into LR they do look correct, however. I have a k5 and have never had this problem. I have both cameras set to RAW in AdobeRGB and all settings like highlight correction, NR, etc turned off. I know I can customize the screen color settings but I have it at default and do not think this is the problem as all other screen colors seem to be correct.

Since the colors show up correctly on the computer it is not a huge deal but it still makes it tough to choose a WB when the colors look so far off after reviewing the images. Any ideas? Is there some obscure setting I may have turned on? As I said, this was never on issue on my K5 and I tried to clone my settings the best I could on my K1.

06-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you inadvertently enabled the outdoor view setting? That can make the colors look crazy if you forget that it's on.

If not, I wonder if there's a bug with AdobeRBG in the K-1. Have you tried sRGB to compare?

Also, what Custom Image preset are you using, and have you ensured that digital filters, clarity enhancement, etc. are off?

On a side note, the K-1 does have a new metering and WB system, but this should only make colors look better, not worse...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by turff Quote
Colors during in-camera image review on my K1 are WAY off. It almost appears that the hue of certain colors is not set correctly.

When I import them into LR they do look correct, however. I have a k5 and have never had this problem. I have both cameras set to RAW in AdobeRGB and all settings like highlight correction, NR, etc turned off. I know I can customize the screen color settings but I have it at default and do not think this is the problem as all other screen colors seem to be correct.

Since the colors show up correctly on the computer it is not a huge deal but it still makes it tough to choose a WB when the colors look so far off after reviewing the images. Any ideas? Is there some obscure setting I may have turned on? As I said, this was never on issue on my K5 and I tried to clone my settings the best I could on my K1.
Check your image settings. My K1 came set to vivid or some such.
06-02-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

I have found the same thing with my K-1 LCD. I have image preset set to natural and outdoor mode off (it always resets to off when the camera falls asleep or is turned off).

06-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
I did have the custom image set to landscape so I put it back to natural and will re-evaluate. All other digital filters/enhancements are turned off and the outdoor view mode is also turned off. I will report back after a couple days of testing but I am hoping this was the only issue. I did check on my K5 and it was also on natural so as far as I can tell that could be the only possible explanation other than the K1 is not showing AdobeRGB properly.
06-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

For me, the LCD struggles with reds. Maybe this happens for everyone? I've got my LCD brightness set to -1 and saturation at neutral 0 (I also tried lowering saturation but that makes other non-red images suffer). I shot this red flower in bright daylight in RAW+JPG. Here is the straight out of camera JPG:

It looks even more over saturated on the camera LCD, like it can't handle more than a handful of shades of red and orange and all the pedal highlights are totally blown.

Here is the DCU 5.5 (SilkyPix) RAW conversion (settings left at default):

I think the in camera JPG engine is mostly to blame here, with the camera LCD then struggling to display such high saturation. It doesn't matter whether I switch between memory card 1 or 2 (ex. RAW file or JPG file) on the camera, they both show the over saturated "orange" version. This makes me wonder if the RAW file has an embedded JPG preview in it and the in camera JPG processing is generating a poor preview image. In DCU the thumbnail shows the over saturated "orange" version too when the actual image pane displays it accurately:

(I took the above screenshot after I did the RAW conversion. I saved the JPG into a different directory, then I closed "Labratory" view and went back to browser, went into the JPG directory, then went back into the RAW directory, clicked on the thumbnail and went back into "Labratory" view without changing any settings.)

Last edited by seanix; 06-03-2016 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Clarify how I took the screenshot