Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2016, 11:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Got to play with a K1 over the weekend.....Im in trouble now !

My Pentaxian neighbor and friend let me try one of his brand new K-1 bodies this past weekend.......Ohhhhh Myyyy.......WOW !
I went straight away to Buy one and there aren't any to be found on B&H or Adorama ? Says out of stock or back ordered until a July Delivery.

What surprised me the most was the image quality with some not so fantastic older K mount manual Primes that were touted repeatedly to not supposed to perform well on a super FF sensor because the sensor would Out Resolve the Lens......NOT TRUE !!!! In fact I found the reverse to be true........I Found My Dream Camera !

Going All In..........anybody want a K3II that's hardly used for a fair price ?

06-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
I went straight away to Buy one and there aren't any to be found on B&H or Adorama ? Says out of stock or back ordered until a July Delivery.
Adorama had 5 earlier today. You've got to be quick!

If you place a pre-order now at either store, I'm sure your order will be filled later this month. I think Adorama doesn't as big of a backlog as B&H, so I'd go with them.

The K-1 truly is great

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Got to play with a K1 over the weekend.....Im in trouble now !
That's what happened to me; You try a K1, waow that the first K1 effect, and the second K1 effect is that it digs a hole in your bank account.
06-03-2016, 02:11 AM   #4
Forum Member

what is a fair price

PM me ?

06-03-2016, 03:09 AM   #5
Pentaxian

What surprised me the most was the image quality with some not so fantastic older K mount manual Primes

Funny when I remember all the sceptics slandering vintage lenses.
06-03-2016, 04:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Funny when I remember all the sceptics slandering vintage lenses.
Yes the Speculators were VERY wrong on this One !

---------- Post added 06-03-16 at 07:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's what happened to me; You try a K1, waow that the first K1 effect, and the second K1 effect is that it digs a hole in your bank account.
Luckily.....I have almost the exact amount........But its going to BREAK ME for a couple months.
06-03-2016, 04:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will not be disappointed. I believe the K-1 will go down as a camera classic, a bar setting camera

06-03-2016, 05:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by freddyisaac Quote
what is a fair price PM me ?
are you reselling your ?
06-03-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I was at Camera Cottage in Billings, MT yesterday. I got his last one, but he is due to get a few more next week. I was playing with it in the hotel room where I was staying last night. I also got the 28-105 D FA lens to go with it. Loving the focus speed with it. Proper test coming at Yellowstone over the next few days. I may just have to put my K5 and K5-IIs on the market. No need for 4 DLSR's at this point. My K3 will back this one up and be used with my long lenses too. I do not plan on using the K1 in crop mode. The resolution of the K3 has really spoiled me there..

The store price was the same as B&H etc, with the added bonus of no state sales tax in Montana. So I saved 8.25% right off the bat since that is what it is if I were to buy it where I live. I: am coming to really like Montana. At least in the summer.
06-03-2016, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
osv
Veteran Member

What surprised me the most was the image quality with some not so fantastic older K mount manual Primes that were touted repeatedly to not supposed to perform well on a super FF sensor because the sensor would Out Resolve the Lens......NOT TRUE !!!! In fact I found the reverse to be true........I Found My Dream Camera !
those of us that have been using legacy pentax glass on ff sony for over two years now know how good it can be

that "sensor out resolve the lens" stuff is ignorant rubbish.
06-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes the Speculators were VERY wrong on this One !
A case could be made that they wanted to drive the price down on legacy lenses. I sure bought enough of them over the last year, but the prices are already going back up!
06-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #12

Not to change the subject but I would be curious as to what legacy lenses are we talking that give the great results.
06-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #13
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
Not to change the subject but I would be curious as to what legacy lenses are we talking that give the great results.
+1 to that question. I'm wondering if folks have tried lenses that were deemed good but not great and found that they suddenly became great.
06-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will take a while. There might be as few as 750 K-1's in the USA and first deliveries started only a month ago today. I've only just started systematically testing my manual lenses (after the thrill of shooting the FA Limiteds for a month) - but so far the M40/2.8, my lens of the month, looks awfully sharp. I'll start posting dailies in the Single in June thread tonight.

My guess is, lenses that we'd thought of as pretty good will be Very Good, and lenses that were very good but recently ignored (e.g. FA24~90) will regain some of their former glory.

Last edited by monochrome; 06-03-2016 at 06:16 PM.
06-03-2016, 05:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It will take a while. There might be as few as 750 K-1's in the USA and first deliveries started only a month ago today. I've only just started systematically testing my manual lenses (after the thrill of shooting the FA Limiteds for a month) - but so far the M40/2.8, my lens of the month, looks awfully sharp. I'll start posting dailies in the Single in June thread tonight.

My guess is, lenses that we'd thought of as pretty good will be Very Good, and lenses that were very good but recently ignored (e.g. FA20~90) will regain some of their former glory.
EXACTLY +1 on this.