Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 03:28 AM   #1
Senior Member
topace's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 197
Top wheel direction

So I'm finally taking the time to actually shoot my K-1, and I like it. There's one problem, however.

I tend to shoot manual, with aperture on the back wheel, shutter time on the front, and ISO on the top. Which is great, except that the direction of the top wheel feels counter-intuitive.

Convinced that this must be configurable, I scanned through the settings, but only found the setting to reverse the direction of ALL the wheels.

Does anyone here know how to reverse the direction of just the top wheel?

Thanks.

06-03-2016, 04:02 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,843
It sounds like the note at p-100 of the manual applies:

" Memo
• If you select [Rotation Direction] in Step 2, you can reverse
the effect obtained by turning the front or rear e-dial."

The Step 2 referred to [p-99] says:
" Select an exposure mode and press >.
The screen for the selected exposure mode appears."

It's somewhat buried in the menus there, but the option to set rotation direction per e-dial does exist. Use the e-dial itself to find the sub-menu.

Oh, and I presume you are talking about the operation of the front/rear e-dials, not the big 'Settings dial' on the top plate.

Last edited by rawr; 06-03-2016 at 04:10 AM.
06-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Topsy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 499
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the new dial on the camera.

It's also the 'wrong' way for me sadly but it never even occurred to me that it night be something you can configure.. would be cool if it'd be an option in future!
06-03-2016, 01:56 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,217
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
So I'm finally taking the time to actually shoot my K-1, and I like it. There's one problem, however.

I tend to shoot manual, with aperture on the back wheel, shutter time on the front, and ISO on the top. Which is great, except that the direction of the top wheel feels counter-intuitive.

Convinced that this must be configurable, I scanned through the settings, but only found the setting to reverse the direction of ALL the wheels.

Does anyone here know how to reverse the direction of just the top wheel?

Thanks.
As far as I know you can only reverse them all at once, not selectively.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Topsy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
As far as I know you can only reverse them all at once, not selectively.
I checked, because I didn't even know there was a function to reverse them and noticed that the top wheel doesn't reverse with them.
06-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,843
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I'm pretty sure he's talking about the new dial on the camera.
'Top wheel' is pretty ambiguous. Could be several things.
Using the standard names for dials would make it easier to problem solve.
06-03-2016, 06:45 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 4,263
Hold the camera upside down?
06-03-2016, 08:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
i_trax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,119
I am very happy with all my wheels I mean on K-1
but the BKT you can not turn it off with the wheel , or am I missing something
the only way to get rid of it is to turn the Function Dial to the dot
press the Bracketing and select Single Frame Shooting
am I right?

06-04-2016, 02:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Topsy's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
'Top wheel' is pretty ambiguous. Could be several things.
Using the standard names for dials would make it easier to problem solve.

I mean 21, Settings Dial. All the others on the top* of the camera have print on them.

*To me the front e-dial is on the front and the rear e-dial is on the rear, which leaves the top for the three top dials, mode dial, function dial and settings dial whereas in this case only the latter would make sense.
06-05-2016, 01:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
topace's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 197
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Topsy Quote
I mean 21, Settings Dial. All the others on the top* of the camera have print on them.

*To me the front e-dial is on the front and the rear e-dial is on the rear, which leaves the top for the three top dials, mode dial, function dial and settings dial whereas in this case only the latter would make sense.
I also meant the Setting Dial. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by topace; 06-05-2016 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
direction, dslr, full frame, full-frame, k-1, k1, pentax k-1, time, wheel
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cityscape Direction Moon. Engage! JimmyDranox Post Your Photos! 2 04-23-2016 06:26 AM
Machinery Top Down from Up Top Sailor Post Your Photos! 8 02-18-2016 12:58 PM
Portrait lens direction zbrueningsen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 09-21-2014 03:41 AM
thumb wheel direction / scale flip flfz Pentax K-30 & K-50 12 06-17-2014 03:52 AM
K20D aperture wheel feels stiff? The front wheel feels much smoother... Abstract Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 01-09-2011 07:49 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top