Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-03-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I Upgrade my new K1 firmware to 1.10?

I've only had my K1 for 3 days.

I just finished setting it all up.

Now I hear that there new firmware out for the K1.

Well, I checked, and indeed my K1 came with version 1.0. The latest firmware is 1.10 .

Is it worth the hassle of upgrading? If you did it, what improvements/fixes did you realize by updating?

If I update will all of my settings be lost?

Thanks,

06-03-2016, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Is it worth the hassle of upgrading? If you did it, what improvements/fixes did you realize by updating?
I wouldn't call it a hassle, but the only change/addition in the update is compatibility with the Lightroom tethering plugin and Image Transmitter 2.

If you don't plan on using either of those, it won't hurt to put off upgrading. I'm not aware of any bugs that have been fixed. This particular update doesn't reset your settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2016, 11:21 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
extra info: and your settings will be same after updating
06-03-2016, 11:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My thought when I saw the update was "why not?" Took a few minutes, didn't harm anything and maybe there is some bug fix untold of. It's pretty easy if you simply follow the instructions.

Kjell

06-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah...it was very easy and didn't affect settings, so why not?
06-04-2016, 12:14 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There will be fixes in there that couldn't be done in time for v1.0 or are for problems not known at the time.

A lot of companies will not publicise the exact faults addressed because it's negative publicity.

Like all software, there would have been unfixed faults the day the 1.0 release was approved, it's just that none of the unresolved problems were deemed 'showstoppers' as they're called in the IT industry. You handle them in a future release.
06-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the reply.

I've got lots of different cameras and have updated camera firmware many times. I know how to do it. My principle concern was loosing the many custom setting that I just spent hours installing on my K1. Sorry, I should have done a better job of wording the question.

Because their's nothing critical in the update for me, I guess that I will just skip this update.

Nice to know that when you update the K1 it does not wipe out your settings (some other camera systems will do that!). Pentax does the little things right!!!!!!!

06-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For the kind of lens testing you have been doing, it seems to me that the tethering support in v1.10 could be potentially quite useful.

And as clackers reminds us, hidden in each firmware update is usually a variety of undocumented bug fixes, tweaks and tunes.