Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
EXIF Viewer

With every new camera model (and not only Pentax I presume) the struggle starts to find an EXIF Viewer which reliably can read EXIF data. Why should this be such a problem. I can understand it will be problematic to develop a viewer for all cameras on the market but I as a Pentax owner am not interested in such a viewer. I want to read Pentax data and among the most obvious; what particularly interest me is reliable lens info and shutter count. Lens data for all third party lenses may not be available but at least show me those which are.

I can't believe that such software does not exist, otherwise how would service providers, and in this particular location Australia's C.R. Kennedy, get around this problem obtaining info when they get a camera for repair or service. They would need details of the camera. Some of the data they extract or are interested in from the body may not be of great interest to us but a lot of it will be. I assume such software is supplied by Ricoh/Pentax after all they are the ones who know their creations inside out.

Why doesn't Pentax publish a pared-down version of their service data reader and include or add information photographers are interested in and make it available to us customers. That shouldn't be too hard, surely. I would even be prepared to pay for such program, as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it can be updated with every new camera model.

Could Ricoh/Pentax be approached with this idea ?

I am sick and tired not being able to excess full EXIF data. (K-1)

Cheers

P.S.
On the other hand, if anybody knows of an EXIF reader for the K-1, please let me know.

06-04-2016, 04:18 AM   #2
pid

I agree with you in all terms!
06-04-2016, 04:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

There is this new fancy tool called google which solves the problem in a second. That surely is not too hard.
Researching the name Phil Harvey would also be a start.
06-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
pjv
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Researching the name Phil Harvey would also be a start.

You type much quicker than me beholder3 !!! This link might be of help.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey

06-04-2016, 04:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
That surely is not too hard.
Ah, Google - never heard of it. Give me a break.
No it isn't, it is not new to me. But unfortunately it does not work on my computer. The data just flashes on screen for a few milliseconds.
It would be neat to have something a bit more elegant with the most used data sorted in regions and even perhaps a plugin for the most used programs and viewing straight from RAW or TIF. Converting images first to JPG is a bit of a pain too.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-04-2016 at 04:59 AM.
06-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
http://carlcheo.com/best-exif-viewers

06-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, I have seen those. They all have limitations and non work with the K-1 or don't provide the info I am seeking. I am not interested in APPs for mobiles or Mac.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 06-04-2016 at 05:57 AM.
06-04-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do a search on "photo meta data" you will find Jeffrey Friedl's image viewer... gets you all the information about your camera (manufacture dates, camera settings etc.).

06-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
But unfortunately it does not work on my computer. The data just flashes on screen for a few milliseconds.
It works on your computer, but apparently you're not accustomed to use console applications, that is, programs that run within the windows commandline environment.

Some kind soul created "exiftool gui", that is, a clickable program that wraps all the commandline stuff.

See here:
ExifToolGUI
06-04-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

With every new camera model (and not only Pentax I presume) the struggle starts to find an EXIF Viewer which reliably can read EXIF data. Why should this be such a problem. I can understand it will be problematic to develop a viewer for all cameras on the market but I as a Pentax owner am not interested in such a viewer. I want to read Pentax data and among the most obvious; what particularly interest me is reliable lens info and shutter count. Lens data for all third party lenses may not be available but at least show me those which are.

I can't believe that such software does not exist, otherwise how would service providers, and in this particular location Australia's C.R. Kennedy, get around this problem obtaining info when they get a camera for repair or service. They would need details of the camera. Some of the data they extract or are interested in from the body may not be of great interest to us but a lot of it will be. I assume such software is supplied by Ricoh/Pentax after all they are the ones who know their creations inside out.

Why doesn't Pentax publish a pared-down version of their service data reader and include or add information photographers are interested in and make it available to us customers. That shouldn't be too hard, surely. I would even be prepared to pay for such program, as long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg and it can be updated with every new camera model.

Could Ricoh/Pentax be approached with this idea ?

I am sick and tired not being able to excess full EXIF data. (K-1)

Cheers

P.S.
On the other hand, if anybody knows of an EXIF reader for the K-1, please let me know.
Im still using photome. It has no problems with the K1 DNGs. I don't know about PEF files as I don't use that format.
06-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I tried Googling 'Tan68's camera infos' and got some NSFW results.

I will write this off as general inexperience with Googling as I typically Duck.

I wonder why some questions are asked on forums and the answer is 'google it'. Often, without a question first asked, there is no result for google to find. Although this question about EXIF viewers is not new, there have been a few interesting suggestions here and it is possible conversation will grow.

In any case, boards are for discussion and would become boring if everyone opened a new tab and used a search engine.. :^(
06-04-2016, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Im still using photome. It has no problems with the K1 DNGs. I don't know about PEF files as I don't use that format.
So do I, but it has not been updated for a long time and is not showing all it used to do.
06-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Phil Harvey's Exifviewer with the Exifgui linked above does about everything you need and is updated frequently.
06-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
You type much quicker than me beholder3 !!! This link might be of help.

ExifTool by Phil Harvey
ExifTool is the standard for the industry and its tag mappings are considered to be authoritative. New cameras are added as details of their production EXIF become available. The most recent versions support the K-1.

Ah, Google - never heard of it. Give me a break.
No it isn't, it is not new to me. But unfortunately it does not work on my computer. The data just flashes on screen for a few milliseconds.
There are two ways to run ExifTool. The first is "drag 'n drop" to a short-cut. The second is to invoke directly from the command line (DOS window). Dropping a file on the exiftool.exe will result in the behavior you describe.

QuoteOriginally posted by funktionsfrei Quote
Some kind soul created "exiftool gui", that is, a clickable program that wraps all the commandline stuff.

See here:
ExifToolGUI
I also use Bogdan's quite excellent ExifToolGUI. The project is technically no longer active, but I find it to be forward compatible to current versions of ExifTool. The GUI (user interface) is a separate program that uses ExifTool to parse the files. You need to download both.

The link above is to the product page and has all the information you need to install and run the GUI. The ExifToolGUI install download is a little harder to find. It is part of a "sticky" on the ExifTool user/developer Forum:

Latest ExiftoolGUI version 5.16

I use the GUI for batch edits of writable tags (usually vintage lens and camera names) and also to discover and write the EXIF for lens ids not parsed by Lightroom.* When you get a new camera, simply download and replace your old ExifTool with a new copy of ExifTool. Updating the GUI should not be needed.

Steve

* It is a bit of an inconvenience, but the ExifToolGUI has some sort of memory leak when doing batch updates. If performance slows after using the tool to rewrite files, it is usually enough to simply logout and log back in.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-04-2016 at 09:18 AM.
06-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Im still using photome. It has no problems with the K1 DNGs.
The question is not whether it has problems, but whether the data are complete. Pentax adds fields to the makernotes as new features are made available. Software unaware of those additions are, well, unware.

Steve