Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

DXO Optics (Now DXO 11) Raw Converter Mea Culpa

I spoke somewhat harshly in the past days about the boys and gals over at DXO land.

I was pretty peeved about the lack of a RAW profile for the Pentax K-1, particularly after I upgraded from DXO Optics 9 to DXO Optics 10 solely for that purpose (admittedly I was wrong to assume DXO was squeezing me to buy the new software to get the K-1 profile and I should have just checked the supported cameras).

Nonetheless, once I noticed yesterday that DXO Optics 11 had been released, I was again quite the camera software curmudgeon as I had just updated to DXO Optics 10 some week or two prior.

I immediately took to the keyboard to rant and rave till my fingers bled, haranguing any customer service representative flung under my steamrolling bus of complaints.

Much to my surprise, a quite helpful gentleman, whose name now escapes me, simply asked me about my account info and immediately upgraded me to DXO Optics 11 for free. This unfortunately left me void of target for my angst and vitriolic rage. So I locked it away in a large vault labeled "DELTA AIRLINES FOR FUTURE USE." This is where most of my rollover rage is stored currently.

Future rage management is really important these days, and I have only recently heeded the trend of putting back some of my rage for my retirement years. I have an excellent rage consultant. I bring him a lot of rage personally, and I have sent him quite a lot of rage business from complete strangers by word of mouth. We work well that way,

But seriously, DXO has been very kind to me in the only time I have ever had to call upon their customer service team. They performed as well as could have been expected by the ordinary person and completely blew me away, snarly, cynical beast that I turn into when I feel threatened, cheated or scammed.

DXO Optics 11 still has no K-1 profile, but on the bright side, I have had the opportunity to utilize Ricoh's Digital Camera Utility. It is much improved since my last use (circa software available with K-5 II). It is much faster and more user friendly. Don't get me wrong, it is no DXO optics, but manageable in the short term per my needs as a hobbyist.
DXO
Three Cheers for DXO customer service and client rage management.

06-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
DXO Optics 11 still has no K-1 profile,
I won't be upgrading to v11 until they have that. Hopefully that won't be long, but i guess they have a lot of camera + lens profile building to do for it.

At least they have made the v11 upgrade price quite reasonable. The promised '4 times faster' speed improvement' to the PRIME noise reduction engine also makes v11 look attractive.
06-05-2016, 01:37 AM   #3

I spoke somewhat harshly in the past days about the boys and gals over at DXO land.

I was pretty peeved about the lack of a RAW profile for the Pentax K-1, particularly after I upgraded from DXO Optics 9 to DXO Optics 10 solely for that purpose (admittedly I was wrong to assume DXO was squeezing me to buy the new software to get the K-1 profile and I should have just checked the supported cameras).

Nonetheless, once I noticed yesterday that DXO Optics 11 had been released, I was again quite the camera software curmudgeon as I had just updated to DXO Optics 10 some week or two prior.

I immediately took to the keyboard to rant and rave till my fingers bled, haranguing any customer service representative flung under my steamrolling bus of complaints.

Much to my surprise, a quite helpful gentleman, whose name now escapes me, simply asked me about my account info and immediately upgraded me to DXO Optics 11 for free. This unfortunately left me void of target for my angst and vitriolic rage. So I locked it away in a large vault labeled "DELTA AIRLINES FOR FUTURE USE." This is where most of my rollover rage is stored currently.

Future rage management is really important these days, and I have only recently heeded the trend of putting back some of my rage for my retirement years. I have an excellent rage consultant. I bring him a lot of rage personally, and I have sent him quite a lot of rage business from complete strangers by word of mouth. We work well that way,

But seriously, DXO has been very kind to me in the only time I have ever had to call upon their customer service team. They performed as well as could have been expected by the ordinary person and completely blew me away, snarly, cynical beast that I turn into when I feel threatened, cheated or scammed.

DXO Optics 11 still has no K-1 profile, but on the bright side, I have had the opportunity to utilize Ricoh's Digital Camera Utility. It is much improved since my last use (circa software available with K-5 II). It is much faster and more user friendly. Don't get me wrong, it is no DXO optics, but manageable in the short term per my needs as a hobbyist.
DXO
Three Cheers for DXO customer service and client rage management.
I used DxO for some time a few years ago, and recently used v10 for a while. Their customer support was always friendly. They are not fast to include a new camera for support, but neither are Phase One.
The thing that is reálly lacking though, is further new developments in DOP, compared to e.g. Phase One there is no comparison regarding implementation of new features and improvements. To be honest, I don't find v11 worthy of an upgrade at all, certainly not at the upgrade price.

Chris
06-05-2016, 05:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

it appears the primary deliverable in v11 over v10 is a speed improvement when using PRIME processing -- something I use all the time and thus is highly desirable. But like others have said, until they add more robust Pentax support (bodies, lenses, and pixel-shift) I'm staying with v10 for the time being. Given that the French basically take the summer off, I don't expect much out of them until next fall.

Michael

06-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I won't be upgrading to v11 until they have that. Hopefully that won't be long, but i guess they have a lot of camera + lens profile building to do for it.

At least they have made the v11 upgrade price quite reasonable. The promised '4 times faster' speed improvement' to the PRIME noise reduction engine also makes v11 look attractive.
For me, the "local retouch" function looks as the most interesting novelty re. DxO OP v.11.

As far as K-1 is concerned, not only has RI to provide them with a body, but also with any lens, because none of them have been measured/corrected yet on FF sensor.
So, in the meantime we recover all FF-compatible lenses, it will take quite some time i'm affraid...

Plus, still no Pixel Shift derawtisation...
06-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I used DxO for some time a few years ago, and recently used v10 for a while. Their customer support was always friendly. They are not fast to include a new camera for support, but neither are Phase One.
The thing that is reálly lacking though, is further new developments in DOP, compared to e.g. Phase One there is no comparison regarding implementation of new features and improvements. To be honest, I don't find v11 worthy of an upgrade at all, certainly not at the upgrade price.

Chris
I've run a few tests on DXO10 vs 11. No change I can see on the raw engine itself. So it looks like a rework on Prime, the red eye tool and the Spot Weighting on the Smart Lighting. I haven't run any tests on Prime yet.
06-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Ah, you mean someone like this

Last edited by antipattern; 06-05-2016 at 05:45 PM. Reason: fixed text