Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-1 Grip Issue?

After shooting with the K-1 about 5 times so far, I have noticed something with my grip that I am not sure about. Hopefully fellow K-1 users can lend some insight into this issue.

Today I noticed something with the right hand grip (part that extends out like pistol grip on right side). In the lower portion of this section of the grip, you will find the Infrared sensor for the wireless remote trigger.

When I apply any pressure to this area around the IR sensor, there is some kind of movement. Maybe it is a slight budge or shift of something plastic underneath the grip cover. As far as I can tell the frame is not compromised as it does seem to firm up after the initial movement settles. I tested it is some very unscientific ways. I prodded it with one finger applying very little pressure to see if I could induce the movement. This slight pressure did cause the movement to occur. I also gently tapped directly on top of the IR sensor. Again, this produced the shift or movement. All of the movement seems to be centered in the general vicinity of the IR sensor.

At first I thought the movement might be related to the shake reduction technology. I thought that maybe there was some kind of pressure gauge input in or around the IR sensor aiding in the the image sensors determination of the appropriate sensor shift offset and considering this pressure gauge reading.

I do not know of any such sensor? I will have to look at the specs again, but I did not see it initially.

I have handled the K-5 II, K-3 and K-3 II extensively, and I have never experienced this type of movement in the grip area. It is always confidently sturdy. This is different.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am within 30 days of purchase and I am thinking about sending it back for an exchange. An additional reason for this is that when I ordered the camera on May 9, 2016 from one of the two big NY stores, the inventory was listed as back-ordered. I got a message stating that I would be notified when stock arrived. Yet, in about one or two business days, the camera was delivered to me without any notice that new inventory had arrived and giving a shipping date. Maybe I got a notice from UPS the day before, but not from the camera store. This makes me think that the camera might have been returned and that they just sent me the returned camera as new? Even after I got my camera, the inventory showed back-ordered.

I do not know, but if everyone says that theirs is exactly the same, I will not worry about it and just assume it is part of standard manufacture. I'm inclined to believe otherwise at this point.

Any thoughts/comments would be greatly appreciated.

BTW: I should note that the camera had not been dropped, smashed or damaged in any way. I take excellent care of my cameras. My wife is not even allowed to touch them (she has the indestructible Pentax waterproof camera that she can play with/try to destroy).

06-05-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure about anything moving, but the grip material feels very soft and plush.
What is moving precisely? The IR window? The grip material? Something inside?
06-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The grip on my K-1 is firm. Rigid, actually. It is not possible to 'push' anything in at all.
06-05-2016, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you look at the area around the front IR sensor, you can see that there is a hole in the chassis for the sensor and rubber gasket to fit underneath the body grip material.

The K-5 and K-3 have similar looking chassis around the area of the IR sensor.

If you press on the sensor, and you feel slight movement, you are probably just feeling the rubber gasket move a bit. When I press mine, I can feel about 0.01 mm of depression (at 15 degrees Celsius ambient). If the body grip was warmer, the gasket rubbers and grip material might be softer, and you might feel more movement, I guess.

06-05-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mock Quote
I'm not sure about anything moving, but the grip material feels very soft and plush. What is moving precisely? The IR window? The grip material? Something inside?
I will do my best to make some type of video demonstration. I do not have an external microphone, so I do not know how great the audio on this will be. Is it possible to post a video in the forum?
06-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pleitzxcan Quote
Is it possible to post a video in the forum?
Best to go: video -> YouTube -> post YouTube link here.
06-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I have satisfied myself that rawr's explanation about the gasket is correct. I attempted to make a crude video to demonstrate the sound, but I could not produce the sound when I tried. Thanks for the thoughts.