Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I shot with the camera set to RAW in sRGB. I opened the files in Photoshop made adjustments and exited Photoshop. I went back to Photoshop and and stacked and auto blended the images.

The first time I used sRGB as my color space for output from Photoshop. That was the cause of the funny pattern.
The second time I set the output parameter from Photoshop to be in ProPhoto RGB space. When I re-stacked and auto blended, the problem went away.

I do not know why this happens. I still have to try converting with PDCU to see if it makes a difference.

06-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
I shot with the camera set to RAW in sRGB. I opened the files in Photoshop made adjustments and exited Photoshop. I went back to Photoshop and and stacked and auto blended the images.

The first time I used sRGB as my color space for output from Photoshop. That was the cause of the funny pattern.
The second time I set the output parameter from Photoshop to be in ProPhoto RGB space. When I re-stacked and auto blended, the problem went away.

I do not know why this happens. I still have to try converting with PDCU to see if it makes a difference.
Does RAW mean DNG or PEF? In photoshop did ACR (camera raw) open first? This is where known problems with DNG exist. PEF seems ok. ACR also does the composting of the Pixel Shift files. Color mode shouldn't matter with this part.

Sorry for being so picky but ACR needs to work correctly which is not for DNG. Might be other problems too.

RONC
06-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
Does RAW mean DNG or PEF? In photoshop did ACR (camera raw) open first? This is where known problems with DNG exist. PEF seems ok. ACR also does the composting of the Pixel Shift files. Color mode shouldn't matter with this part.

Sorry for being so picky but ACR needs to work correctly which is not for DNG. Might be other problems too.

RONC
RONC,

I do not know what the exact cause was.

I will be doing more focus stacking images so I need to get to the bottom of this problem. For now, I am going to use what works. But in the long run I will explore other options such as shooting in PEF and using PDCU to process the images.

It looks like the problem happens during the stacking process. ProPhoto RGB comes out ok. sRGB causes the problems I posted. I am not too techie. Perhaps there are other people on PF who can address the technical part of why this is happening.
06-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Interesting, because I just looked at PF's in-depth review of the K-1, and noticed a similar geometric pattern in the ISO 204,800 pixel-shifted shot. Here's what I mean:

s24-ps-nnr-204800_160519_77p-cr on Flickr

Here's an exaggerated example so you can see better what I'm talking about.

s24-ps-nnr-204800_160519_77p-cr-ed on Flickr

It might just be something to do with the super high ISO speed, but I thought it was interesting, nonetheless.
That's a terrible image no matter how you look at it. It's hard to argue the pattern makes it worse.

Does the software provided with the K-1 produce this pattern?

Until we know that, we don't know nothing.

06-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
RONC,

I do not know what the exact cause was.

I will be doing more focus stacking images so I need to get to the bottom of this problem. For now, I am going to use what works. But in the long run I will explore other options such as shooting in PEF and using PDCU to process the images.

It looks like the problem happens during the stacking process. ProPhoto RGB comes out ok. sRGB causes the problems I posted. I am not too techie. Perhaps there are other people on PF who can address the technical part of why this is happening.
That's why I am asking questions. Did ACR (camera raw) open first in photoshop? What version of photoshop? Are you sure you didn't put jpg into photoshop? That would cause the 8bit phenomenon you see?
RONC
06-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's a terrible image no matter how you look at it. It's hard to argue the pattern makes it worse.
Actually, considering how dark it was, and how high the ISO was, I'd say it's pretty good! Of course, pixel-peeping doesn't work for an image like this. Here's a link to the whole picture so you can judge for yourself. https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k1/highiso/s24-ps-nnr-204800_160519_77p.jpg
06-08-2016, 04:01 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 12345 Quote
Actually, considering how dark it was, and how high the ISO was, I'd say it's pretty good! Of course, pixel-peeping doesn't work for an image like this. Here's a link to the whole picture so you can judge for yourself. https://themotec1.netfirms.com/Users/Hosted/cdn/k1/highiso/s24-ps-nnr-204800_160519_77p.jpg
This what I expect from that high an ISO value. Lower to say 25600 and it will be pretty good.
RONC

06-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rechmbrs Quote
That's why I am asking questions. Did ACR (camera raw) open first in photoshop? What version of photoshop? Are you sure you didn't put jpg into photoshop? That would cause the 8bit phenomenon you see?
RONC
Hi RONC,

I have not shot JPEGs in over 9 years. All my images are shot in RAW format. Yes the images open first in ACR. I have the latest CC version of Photoshop. The only time I convert to 8-bit is at the end of the process when I am saving in JPEG format for delivery to my clients or posting on the web and such.