Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-15-2016, 04:40 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
A repair turnaround of 1 hour does beg the question - if the issue can be so quickly fixed, it seems like a very simple flaw that might even be repairable by end-users ...

Of course, one could also note that if the flaw is indeed a very simple one, it shouldn't exist in the first place, if the camera was designed (or assembled) properly.

That's consistent with Niceshot's theory ... some slacker on the assembly line had a big night out and just didn't seat a cable properly at work the next day.

07-09-2016, 09:54 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm unhappily joining the club!

Today my K-1 was almost stuck to M mode... I say almost because when I turn the mode dial sometimes it goes to other random modes but not those indicated on the camera dial and sometimes it even goes M mode after a few seconds... It's the first time I had a problem with a Pentax camera.

What I observed is that if I press the central button that allows you to change the mode it shows the correct mode that you have chosen! But when you ease the pressure the M mode appears again on the screen and the camera really works on M mode only...

Using the unlock setting to switch the mode dial doesn't help. There is some lost connection in there as the needed pressure shows.

Now the service in my country kind of worries me... Let's see how it goes.

I have been using my K-1 without any other issues since the beginning of May so it's 2+ months old...
07-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
I'm unhappily joining the club!

Today my K-1 was almost stuck to M mode... I say almost because when I turn the mode dial sometimes it goes to other random modes but not those indicated on the camera dial and sometimes it even goes M mode after a few seconds... It's the first time I had a problem with a Pentax camera.

What I observed is that if I press the central button that allows you to change the mode it shows the correct mode that you have chosen! But when you ease the pressure the M mode appears again on the screen and the camera really works on M mode only...

Using the unlock setting to switch the mode dial doesn't help. There is some lost connection in there as the needed pressure shows.

Now the service in my country kind of worries me... Let's see how it goes.

I have been using my K-1 without any other issues since the beginning of May so it's 2+ months old...
ok that mean they didn't apply enough g-151 under the ribbon than meets the dial or it is simply dirty and not making the connection . either is is a simple fix
07-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #34

Wonder if this will be a certain serial number batch, production time frame or random? I have not experienced it.

07-11-2016, 04:49 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveD Quote
Wonder if this will be a certain serial number batch, production time frame or random? I have not experienced it.
Even if it was a batch now Ricoh will have already taken care of this issue. I believe it is simple according to the members' feedback from the service. This is the price early adopters pay, but without early adopters (who play the role of testers as well) there would be no later adopters too!
07-14-2016, 11:48 PM   #36
Pentaxian

I have informed the shop I bought my K-1 from (official Ricoh representative) since Monday and also our official service in Greece and I'm waiting feed back on what to do. They told me they have e-mailed the Pentax service and they are waiting for instructions (in EU, Japan? IDK) but there is no feedback or any information yet after 5 days

I have lost my joy shooting with the K-1... I hope that Pentax after sales service won't dissapoint me more... Meanwhile I have a venue I need my camera for on Tuesday that I will not attend as I see it and I'm leaving for vacation in 8 days, so... I won't have a fully functional K-1 in my hands except something radical happens... I hope for some effective reaction from Pentax but when I searched for contact information to directly contact them and inform about my problems with the K-1 by following the links I was driven back to the official country representative and the service I contacted on the first place...

That' too bad. I have to say that when I had similar problems with a Tamron lens I was able to directly contact their HQ in Japan and they replied within 12 hours!!! They arranged with the EU service department in Germany to send them my lens and within a week I had my lens back properly adjusted. So, my experience with Pentax so far is quite negative... Let's see how ti goes. I hope some Pentax-Ricoh personnel monitor PF threads about bugs-troubles the K-1 shows and will give a notice to those responsible for tackling such problems...
07-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #37
Unregistered User

I am going on a 7 day hike in the mountains and this problem gives me the creeps. Do I understand it correctly that the camera works as it should but only in manual? If so I have no problem, just inconvenient.

07-15-2016, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I am going on a 7 day hike in the mountains and this problem gives me the creeps. Do I understand it correctly that the camera works as it should but only in manual? If so I have no problem, just inconvenient.
Yes my friend you understand perfectly well!

My only problem is that I was going to shoot an airshow and while I usually shoot in TAv manually adjusting the ISO in M mode is nearly impossible. Probably I will have to cancel as if I went I have to optimize my settings for a certain "spot" in the sky and then hope that some pics turn out well. Too troublesome with dubious results...

It's really inconvinient but only for sport-fast shooting, you won't face any problems and don't think negatively, you won't have any problem at all! I bet

PS: meanwile I took some lovely portraits with no problem at all. It's just that I have a camera that don't suit my needs at the time being... That DPR review negativity affected my beloved K-1 and refuses to keep on proving what a great action tool it is as well!
08-24-2016, 08:20 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-1 developed the "stuck in M mode" problem overnight. On its way to the repair shop via the dealer tomorrow. Should hopefully be an easy fix. Likely a "Monday" camera. Being stuck in M is not a real problem but I want what I paid for.
08-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

geez Pentax needs to man up and get on the ball.
09-07-2016, 11:33 PM   #41
Pentaxian

I have my K-1 back and it works fine!

Here some more info:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/323158-k...ml#post3765091

I will test it hard soon (for shooting an airshow) and post some more photos!
09-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine is in being fixed too. Tracking said it arrived at the service centre today, so hopefully it'll come back home very soon - I miss it.
09-08-2016, 02:24 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we need to actually collect the cameras that are stuck in manual mode and sell them for a jacked up price as the new "digital K1000" cameras that everyone has clamored for. Of course, we would need to figure out how to break the video and auto focus modules on the camera too...
09-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #44
Forum Member

Purchased K-1 9 June and turned in for repair 23 September for a busted Mode Dial (Stuck in Manual). Camera began to reset it's settings as well after I noticed the dial wasn't working. Can't confirm how long it has been this way as I don't use any other mode other than Manual. Serial number 632###.
09-30-2016, 06:36 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing as how it is approaching 5 weeks since I sent in my K-1 for service for "Stuck in M Syndrome", I stopped by London Drugs today for an update. Turns out that any Canadian warranty service job has to be sent to RPI Canada who then ships it out to Sun Camera in Toronto for service. Well, it turns out that RPI Canada is in a state of flux and they are now putting together separate APS-C and FF sections. You can guess what happened. The camera ended up at the APS-C section who looked at the K-1 and said "We don't handle those" then shipped it back to London Drugs here in central BC, a good 2500 km distance. The two sections are apparently in side-by-side buildings. When the store manager got it back he was livid and phoned the national RPI national manager immediately. The manager apologized profusely for the screwup and said its fix will be fast tracked. Turns out it would have been an easy fix anyway and the repaired camera is only a few days away from being returned. There is both good and bad in this story - the good is that RPI Canada (and presumably in other countries) are being allowed to form separate FF sections, a testament to the K-1 popularity; the bad is that the internal communication at RPI Canada is sucky. They need a few more Friday night beer bashes.